First NHRA "super stock" in the 7's - 87 Buick GN

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First NHRA "super stock" in the 7's - 87 Buick GN

Since many are expressing their amazement at 300HP from turbo'd 4-cylinder imports, I thought I'd mention what you can do with a lowly 3.4L V6 Buick (isn't that the brand they advertise most in AARP publications- Buick? ).

66 year old John Gallina (yayyyy for the old dudes!!!!) became the first NHRA "Super Stock" class racer to put his car into the 7's. His car is a 1987 Buick Grand National 3.4L (207ci) V6 twin turbo. Weighing in at 3,050#, and making 1,292HP, the car has the low ET record for all SS classes at 7.98-seconds. He also has the class record for speed, at 171.31MPH.

An American, antique push-rod powered cast iron boat anchor..... and its running 7.98@170+MPH.

American iron
    Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Speaking of efficiency.... My Pops recently bought 2003 Aniv. Corvette. His brother was bragging about how "efficient" modern engines are, like the one in his 2003 Maxima. With a DOHC 24V V6 and Six speed, it puts out 265 hp and gets 28 mpg highway. To which my Pops replied, "funny my pushrod 5.7L V8 puts out 350hp and is also rated at 28MPG highway ."

Some may say BAH! to EPA numbers, but we all know first hand that the V8/6SPD combo will actually do 28-30 MPG on the highway. Got 31MPG once with AC on. Basically I creeped out of the gas station, accelerated lightly down the on ramp to 70MPH, and set the cruise. I80 in NV and Utah. 400 miles later I coasted the off ramp and into the gas station. She took 12.9 gal to fill.

That 300 HP STi is only rated at 24MPG highway (ouch)

Later
    Sean
    1994 Z28, 6 spd, LE2 Heads, GM 1.6 RR, .026" head gasket, SLP: CAI-Headers (CARB legal)-ypipe-2 on the left-lightweight flywheel-short throw, Random tech cat, CF dual friction, LT-4 KM.

Comment

Gotta love turbo bricks. That kind of power output is amazing. There is a new T/A aluminum 3.8 block that is said to have been developed by top fuel teams input and is reported to be good for 2000 HP. My "little" girdled 109 block should hold together at 650 lb/ft. That's alot of torque for a 6 banger.

Comment

Just reading about that new 3.8 block kinda made me want to go out and get a car to put it in. It also crossed my mind to build one up and put it in my own car...

Comment

Once I get my GN straightened out, that new block is my next project. I'll be curious as to how streetable a mild 1200 HP build is going to be. It's going to take a serious trans to handle the torque. I'm not sure what I'm going to put it into. I've always toyed with the idea of a Fiero transplant. Something to the tune of a 2800 lb car with 1200 HP. It would also handle well due to the aluminum block.

Comment

mild 1200 HP build
            HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA !!!!!

Comment

I thought those performance notes on the Buick were amazing. GM High Tech Performance mag in one of their latest issues had an article about a 9 sec Buick. I hope Mr Gallinna is dropping jaws on the road or track with his super sleeping grocery getter.
              Mixedpuppy

1998 TA, mostly stock, SLP hood, ram air plastic intake, K&N Filter, Transgo Shift Kit, Kooks Stainless LT headers with Magna Flow Cats, Borla Exhaust (Medium plate setting), Kenny Brown SFCs, BMR Tower Strut Brace, 17" ROH RT Rims, 9.5 BFG KDWs, SLP Airlid, Smooth bore bellow, 85mm MAF. Nitrous to come. Action figure not included.

Comment

Working...
              X