Help Save the Camaro Name!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Save the Camaro Name!

Those of you who read the thread about the F-body demise understand why the name "Camaro" may be in jepardy. A V8 RWD 2+2 coupe will be produced on Zeta architechture and put on the market around 2007. The name, however is in doubt due mainly to political reasons surrounding the CAW and Canadian Govt. and the St. Therese plant's exclusive right to produce Camaro and Firebird.

Read and head....
    http://web.camaross.com/forums/showt...hreadid=234585
    Want to help the Camaro name continue, but don't exactly have it tatooed across your back, and not ready to sprout a Camaro label haircut?? Well here's your chance to let your opinion be known.

Go to http://www.gm.com/gmcomjsp/contactus/email.html and check off the "I am a current owner and have a question, concern or comment" box (it's the very 1st one). Hit "submit" at the bottom of the page, and fill out the information along with your message (limit's about 400 words, so no term papers please).

Request to have your message forwarded to Product Chairman Bob Lutz. Briefly tell what the Camaro name means to you.

DON'T USE PROFANITY, OR THREATS!!!
    The idea is to convince, not terrorize.

If you are going to say that you will never buy another GM product (or will refuse to buy a V8 2+2 that isn't called Camaro), be certain to point out that Ford displays respect for historic names like Thunderbird and Mustang, and you would be very dissappointed if GM didn't do the same for Camaro.

This isn't going to work unless there's critical mass behind this, so don't just say you support the idea, just do it!!!

DO NOT send it to anyone's private or GM e-mail address. Not only is it rude & counterproductive (meaning it could backfire something fierce) but if there is a sudden flood of email to GM's consumer relations site (instead of someone's e-mail), not only will it create a buzz throughout, but also word will get up through the chain, and alot will end up read by higher ups.

This is the tactic used to save the Mustang back in the 80s.

Remember, you are advocating the Camaro NAME, so don't sweat them over the car.
    Joe K.
    '11 BMW 328i
    '10 Matrix S AWD
    Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Here is my letter...

Please forwarded to Product Chairman Bob Lutz

The Camaro name needs to return. I own a 1994 Z28 6speed convertible. I love this car! My first car was a 1986 Camaro V6. In total I have owned 6 Camaros and 2 of those were purchased brand new. Please bring this car back.

When I think of fun, when I think of cruising down to Key West, I think Camaro. It is an American icon. I miss seeing it in the showrooms, and in the magazines. I wish I could go buy another new one!

The Mustang is getting stronger, and more apealing. The Camaro name is falling to the wayside as Mustang continues to grow. Todays kids have no new Camaro to dream of, Ford is getting all the attention. Please change this terrible trend and bring back the Camaro we all dream about!
    Tracy
    2002 C5 M6 Convertible
    1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
    Current Mods:
    SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Thanks for the support!

Here is mine...

Concerning the Camaro:

Please forward to Bob Lutz and Product Development Personnel.

I currently own a 1996 Camaro Z28. This is the second Camaro I have pruchased from my Chevy dealership. My Mother's first car was a 1967 Camaro 327. We puchased these cars, not only from a performance/utility standpoint, but because of the image, history and heritage that is behind the name Camaro. I never fail to be amazed at the amount of support and espirit de corps that Camaro brings out.; from numerous valuable message boards filled with technical/informal information on the internet, to the cruise in's and Camaro clubs with which I am involved.

I have already begun to save money for the day that Camaro may return to showrooms, complete the Chevy lineup, and find a good home in my garage alongside my '96.
      Joe K.
      '11 BMW 328i
      '10 Matrix S AWD
      Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

Guys this topic has been beaten to death on all the camaro forums I visit. Maybe you haven't seen these threads before but i've seen one pop up once every 2 months or so. Smae thing too.... just leave your name and why the camaro means what it does to you.

Heres just a few of the threads:

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...ht=save+camaro

and heres an interesting one AGAINST bringing back the camaro:

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...ng+back+camaro

I'm fairly sure i remember a few on camaroz28.com as well.
        93 camaro Z28, A4 auto
        http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/503401

"he who hesitates is lost."

Comment

if we don't beat it who will???

Personally, after a few years...and when my TA needs to be retired, I want to know I have another f-body that I can purchase aside from 02's.

I love f-bodies...more than anything on the road. That's more than enough reason to "beat it" until we're heard.

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
          Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
          B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
          Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
          Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

Originally posted by LimTeng99TransAm
            I love f-bodies...more than anything on the road. That's more than enough reason to "beat it" until we're heard.
            Agreed.

(thud, thud, thud)

We gotta beat this drum LOUD, guys. These internt forums are perhaps the best place to get organized and get the message out.
            Tracy
            2002 C5 M6 Convertible
            1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
            Current Mods:
            SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Please forward this to Bob Lutz/Product Development.

I've own 2 firebirds since I was 18; I'm 21 now. I'm sure you get tons of mail about the demise of the F-bodies and tons more about bring them back. I want to know that when my TA is running on its last tank and time to retire, I can walk into a showroom and purchase a ~new~ TransAm and not have to settle for an 02. Look at what you guys are literally throwing away, a whole culture that loves Camaros and Firebirds more than anything. Don’t abandon what we know best. Bring them back better than ever and for once listen to what we have to say.

Who can deny the feeling of a GM V8 rumbling??? Please don’t turn your backs on us again. Bring the F-bodies back and I can assure you that one will have a home next to my 1992 GTA and 1999 TransAm.

Christopher Teng

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

Keep them coming. Unlike savethefbody.com, the link above goes directly to GM.

Just make sure you keep it professional and check spelling and grammer. The problem with savethefbody.com was that you'd get all sorts of threats and horrible messages that were very hard to decipher or just plain mean and insulting. When GM reads a message like that it hurts the chances of a Camaro coming back.

Some have reported getting responses back already. No new info of course, but these aren't form letters.

Again...it's no coincidence that Scott Settlemeyer was asking for examples of extreme Camaro enthusiasm for a "scrap book".
                Joe K.
                '11 BMW 328i
                '10 Matrix S AWD

Comment

So they can do like Chrysler with the CHALLENGER name,remember the SAPPORO ??

Or the Duster,not the Shadow,the real one.

Monte Carlo SS

The GTO and the GTX[the real ones with 400+ cubic inches,,,,,
                  94 Z28/UltraZ Hood & Box/1 1/2 Drop/52mmTB & Bypass/160 Stat/Pulley/ Catback & pipe/Kirkey seats/5 point belts/WW Wing/Ford9"-4.11- Detroit locker-Strange axles/ZEKE'S Heads & LT4 HC/Stainless Headers & Y/1LE Panhard/BMR SFCs-STB-Relo Brackets-Tunnel Brace-Adj Tq arm- Sway bar- LCAs-PHB/ABARE RACING 4L60E/COAN 3200/Monster tach & light/DS Loop

19/09/04[M6]=12.392@113.518 / 1.802 60ft.

10/04/05[A4]=12.29@111.9 /1.652 60ft.

Comment

Originally posted by TraceZ
                    Todays kids have no new Camaro to dream of,
                    those of us kidz who were raised right dream of the older camaro ...
                    -Nick-
                    95 A4 Z28

Comment

Originally posted by 95z28
                      those of us kidz who were raised right dream of the older camaro ...
                      That is why I specified NEW in my statement. My goal in school was to graduate and order a brand new Z28. I was able to do it, too.

No hard feelings, though.
                      Tracy
                      2002 C5 M6 Convertible
                      1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
                      Current Mods:

Comment

I sent in a comment and this is what I just got back:

Dear Mr. Cuthbert,

Thank you for contacting Chevrolet about the recent announcement to
                        discontinue the Pontiac Firebird and Chevrolet Camaro after the 2002 model
                        year. We appreciate your input regarding the discontinuation of the
                        Camaro. We apologize for your dissatisfaction. General Motors is always
                        looking for ways to improve the quality of our vehicles. Our customers
                        play a major role in this by providing suggestions to us. We appreciate
                        your comments pertaining to the discontinuation and we will forward them
                        to the appropriate department.

We appreciate the passion that our customers have for these cars and
                        we're pleased to be celebrating them with a 35th Anniversary Edition
                        Camaro and a Collector Edition Firebird Trans Am.

Although Camaro and Firebird have always had focused appeal, both
                        Chevrolet and Pontiac will continue the tradition of providing performance
                        vehicles with high value. Next year, Chevrolet will introduce the SSR.
                        Pontiac will also continue to offer excitement with performance
                        powertrains, including the supercharged Grand Prix GTP, Bonneville SSE and the
                        2003 Pontiac Vibe GT.

GM will continue to support the millions of Camaro and Firebird/Trans
                        Am owners with replacement parts, reproduction parts, accessories and
                        technical support through its Service Parts Organization.

If you have any additional questions or would like to receive product
                        information on any of our other vehicles, you may write back or contact
                        Chevrolet Marketing Support at 1-800-950-2438, between 8:00am - 11:00pm
                        Eastern time, seven days a week. Thank you for contacting Chevrolet!

Sincerely,

Penny Crisp
                        Customer Relationship Manager
                        Chevrolet Marketing Support

Are they kidding????? Trying to sell me on Bonnevilles and GTP's and even the Vibe GT. Great to see our performance is in good hands at GM.
                        97 SS #C007
                        Polo Green w/ tan leather A4
                        SLP headers, Loudmouth, Koni SA, Spohn LCA, Spohn PHR, Spohn relo brackets, pro-kit, B&M Stage II Shift Kit, air foil, 160 therm, LT4 KM, BFG KDW

Comment

That is a two year old form letter,they ARE producing a 35th Camaro.

They DID produce one 2 years ago.

Great when your replies come via an answering machine!!!
                          94 Z28/UltraZ Hood & Box/1 1/2 Drop/52mmTB & Bypass/160 Stat/Pulley/ Catback & pipe/Kirkey seats/5 point belts/WW Wing/Ford9"-4.11- Detroit locker-Strange axles/ZEKE'S Heads & LT4 HC/Stainless Headers & Y/1LE Panhard/BMR SFCs-STB-Relo Brackets-Tunnel Brace-Adj Tq arm- Sway bar- LCAs-PHB/ABARE RACING 4L60E/COAN 3200/Monster tach & light/DS Loop

19/09/04[M6]=12.392@113.518 / 1.802 60ft.

10/04/05[A4]=12.29@111.9 /1.652 60ft.

Comment

Originally posted by TimeLord
                            That is a two year old form letter,they ARE producing a 35th Camaro.

They DID produce one 2 years ago.

Great when your replies come via an answering machine!!!

that's soooo sad...can't even produce a letter written by a live person...and to try to slip Grand Prix and Vibes in our head...that's even more sad. Geez...GM really got a bright one to write letters...come on Penny, you really think we're gonna compare our cars to Vibes??????

Christopher Teng

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

I don't believe these are all the same letters as before. There seem to be variations. This one I found very enlightening....

Dear Mr. Bazar,

Thank you for contacting the Chevrolet Customer Assistance Center. We
                              appreciate you taking the time to write us in regards to the Camaro.

We apologize for the disappointment expressed in your email and want
                              you to know that a number of Chevrolet Camaro owners and enthusiasts have
                              expressed their fondness for this vehicle.

However, on September 25, 2001 General Motors Corporation announced
                              that 2002 would be the last model year for the Chevrolet Camaro and
                              Pontiac Firebird. Due to the decrease in demand for the sport segments, this
                              decision was unavoidable.

Although Camaro and Firebird have always had focused appeal, both Chevy
                              and Pontiac will continue the tradition of providing performance
                              vehicles with high value.

GM will continue to support the millions of Camaro and Firebird/Trans
                              Am owners with replacement parts, reproduction parts, accessories and
                              technical support through its Service Parts Organization.

In regards to the future, I must say that emails such as yours
                              definitely help the cause. If the customer demand grows again, it would be
                              difficult to not bring back the Camaro. So I would recommend having those
                              you know with similar sentiment voice their opinion as well.
                              Your
                              email has been documented under file number 1-196632965.

If you should need to contact us in the future, simply reply to this
                              message or call our Chevrolet Customer Assistance Center at
                              1-800-222-1020. Customer Relationship Managers are available Monday through Friday
                              from 8:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m., Eastern Time.

Again, thank you for contacting Chevrolet.

Sincerely,

Adam Groat
                              Customer Relationship Manager
                              Chevrolet Customer Assistance Center
                              Joe K.
                              '11 BMW 328i
                              '10 Matrix S AWD

Comment

Working...
                              X