drag racing - air bag question ......

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• drag racing - air bag question ......

I am reading a bit about airbag use in the RR of the car for hard launches. How many guys here do this? How well does it help? Where can I buy one to fit my car and how much do they cost?
    96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
    11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

I ran airbags for quite a while.... put them in both rear springs, but only pressured the right side at the track (15-20psi). I think it helped.... keeps the car "level".... keeps the left front wheel on the ground, at least until you can pull both wheels.

I haven't done all that well on 60-ft times, since I wasn't launching with nitrous, but I could run low 1.6's with no traction problems at all.

I've since replaced the airbag with a "race" style rear sway bar. I have the old bags available... single or both. They were an AirLift 1000 kit, with two bags, rubber pads for the spring seats, and plastic tubing and dual air valve.... I think maybe $65 at Summit. I'll sell you one bag, one seat, a hose and a valve for $15 plus shipping.
    Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Originally posted by Injuneer
      I'll sell you one bag, one seat, a hose and a valve for $15 plus shipping.
      Fred,

You got it! Thanks. Can I paypal you the money??

Also, just curious, what kind of power does it take to pull a front wheel off the ground? Where you lifting the wheels with that 1.6 60' time?
      96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle

Comment

I cant even figure out hoe to get the airbag off my steering wheel, much less somehow reinstall it in the rear suspension. Where do you run the wires?
        Tracy
        2002 C5 M6 Convertible
        1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
        Current Mods:
        SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

If you figure that one out, let us know

Comment

If you stand behind a car from the rear you will notice that the driveshaft turns counter clock wise. This rotational direction of the driveshaft tries to twist the rear end up on the passenger side and down on the drivers side. Because of this, the right rear spring is compressed more than it should and thus allowing the right rear tire to be essentially lifted off the ground.

If you place an airbag inside of the right rear spring it creates an outward force on the spring thus pre-loading the spring. This helps to control to what extent the spring allows the right axle to push up against it.

No wires to run, just pump the bag up to desired pressure and go race!

Comment

I have a dual setup, but only aired up the right side to 18psi...I ran the wires up the drain plug hole where the spare tire (N2O bottle) sits, kind of a tight fit with the purge tube there, but it works nicely.

However, with adjustable HALs I've noticed that by dialing in the HALS the air bag really didn't make a difference, they both preform the same function. I'm just too lazy to take the air bags out, LOL.

KnightFire
              1993 Formula Firebird
              Check Homepage for mods and photos...

KnightFire's Lair

Amsoil Dealer

Comment

Originally posted by fastTA
                If you stand behind a car from the rear you will notice that the driveshaft turns counter clock wise. This rotational direction of the driveshaft tries to twist the rear end up on the passenger side and down on the drivers side. Because of this, the right rear spring is compressed more than it should and thus allowing the right rear tire to be essentially lifted off the ground.

If you place an airbag inside of the right rear spring it creates an outward force on the spring thus pre-loading the spring. This helps to control to what extent the spring allows the right axle to push up against it.

No wires to run, just pump the bag up to desired pressure and go race!
                So, if you remove the airbag from the steering wheel, and jam it inside the spring on the passenger side rear you go faster?

Or do you have to use the passenger side airbag above the glove box?
                Tracy
                2002 C5 M6 Convertible
                1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
                Current Mods:
                SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

TraceZ:
                  The steering wheel air bag is for safety restraint...these are drag air bags, they look like small black cylinders that fit in your rear springs...

They look like this:

KnightFire
                  1993 Formula Firebird
                  Check Homepage for mods and photos...

KnightFire's Lair

Amsoil Dealer

Comment

I think he's just funnin' us.....

But if he isn't I might have some suggestions on where he could install it.........

J/K

As far as I know, I've never pulled the front wheels. The car launches really soft on motor..... the convertor is set up to flash to 5,000rpm with 800ft-lb of a nitrous launch behind it. Without the nitrous, coming off the footbrake at 3,200rpm it just sort of oozes away from the line. Hopefully in the next month or so, I'll get to see what happens with the 300-shot off the line.... and I will have a change of underwear with me

Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Originally posted by Injuneer
                      I think he's just funnin' us.....

But if he isn't I might have some suggestions on where he could install it.........
                      HAHA .. I'm a little punchy today. I hope somebody got my humor.
                      Tracy
                      2002 C5 M6 Convertible
                      1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
                      Current Mods:

Comment

I can vouch for the airbags as well. I run them in my GN and there is a certain amount of tuning that can be done with them. I would however suggest running equal pressures on the street and make your adjustments at the track. Having it biased on one side on the street makes for some odd chassis behavior when going over moderate bumps. I keep a small portable air tank to play with pressures at the track and to equalize them for the ride home.

Comment

Sean:

Its packed up and ready to go out UPS today if my work schedule allows me to drop it off. There are little tiny spring clamps that hold the rubber hose on the airbag and on the valve stem... I only found one of those.... should be a standard auto parts store item. I used a small nylon wire tie on mine.

PS: Clean out your PM inbox - its full

Fred
                          Fred

Comment

Originally posted by Joe 1320
                            I can vouch for the airbags as well. I run them in my GN and there is a certain amount of tuning that can be done with them. I would however suggest running equal pressures on the street and make your adjustments at the track. Having it biased on one side on the street makes for some odd chassis behavior when going over moderate bumps. I keep a small portable air tank to play with pressures at the track and to equalize them for the ride home.
                            I think I will just run one airbag. It will be deflated on the street. When I go to the track I will air it up to where I want and then deflate for the ride home again.

Comment

They recommend you keep at least 5psi in it at all times. It won't affect anything at that pressure.
                              Fred

Comment

Working...
                              X