Transgo Shift Kit is In!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transgo Shift Kit is In!

Well it took me 3 days but the results are worth it. The directions say it should take 3 1/2 hours. Lots of little things that make this job frustrating for the first timer.

I put in 2 washers. Even part throttle I chirp gears. I'm glad I didn't put in 3.

I was worried because the fluid looked so bad and smelled burnt, but I put in Mobil 1 sythetic ATF so maybe it will be good for a couple more years.

Anyhow I'm happy now

Bob

95 Formula Ragtop A4, Transgo Kit, Throttle Body Coolant Bypass, LT4 Knock sensor, Taylor 8mm Wires, NGk Plugs, Upgraded AIr intake, Descreened and ported MAF, relocated air sensor, Magnaflow 3" catback, Kumho tires, Mobil 1 fluids

99 Silver Z28 A4, T tops, ZR-1 wheels (SOLD)

congrats!

I put in the 3 washers.. with the Vigilante 2800 stall, it was necessary for sure.

It took me a couple of days. I did it in my apartment.

I didn't understand why they put page 1 first
    when it was the last thing in the video. When I
    got to the end, I just had to switch out a spring
    on a valve because I had looked at the wrong code.

It's definitely worth it.

I think it was alot easier for me to do it in
    my apartment (had the tranny in the kitchen on
    the engine stand). It's easier to take brakes, and
    not have to slide in and out of underneath the
    car.

I went with Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF also with my
    new converter and cooler. I also put the
    B&M deep dish pan on.

Some people here live by what some tranny shop guys told them about NOT using Synthetic..

Comment

Best way to do it

If I had to do it over again, I would buy a stall and a tranny cooler too. Taking the trans out of the car and working on it makes sense to me. I spent 3 hours just trying to get one part in. I finally sprayed some WD-40 in the hole and then the part went in. I think that the tolerences were so tight a piece of grit or metal was stopping the parts from seating correctly. I ruined 4 t-shirts and I know what it feels like to have ATF as a hair conditioner. LOL

The written directions do need some work.

But man did it wake up my car!

99 Silver Z28 A4, T tops, ZR-1 wheels (SOLD)

Comment

Re: Best way to do it

Yeah, that thing on the side was tough enough
        with it on the engine stand

And that one thing, I need a good c-clamp
        to compress it... I don't see how they did theirs
        by hand..sheesh!

I was being so careful with the valve body
        in my apartment, I had a plastic box lid that
        was a good side.. I was draining fluid
        into a ziploc container..and I took my
        valves outside on the balcony to clean them
        with cleaner, and wouldn't you know, I
        come back in and kick the open ziploc
        container dumping tranny fluid on my white
        carpet..!!! OOPS

Dirt Devil vacuum cleaner to the rescue
        to get all the pink out.. WHEW!!!

Originally posted by RangerBob
        If I had to do it over again, I would buy a stall and a tranny cooler too. Taking the trans out of the car and working on it makes sense to me. I spent 3 hours just trying to get one part in. I finally sprayed some WD-40 in the hole and then the part went in. I think that the tolerences were so tight a piece of grit or metal was stopping the parts from seating correctly. I ruined 4 t-shirts and I know what it feels like to have ATF as a hair conditioner. LOL

The written directions do need some work.

But man did it wake up my car!

Comment

hehe I went with the 3 washers

the 3 washers is pretty excessive.... but it scares passengers to death on the 1-2! Bob, you might want to pre-order a SLP 1LE tranny mount, cause the factory one on mine lasted about 2 weeks and I only had 47,00mi on the odometer. Pretty sure others will agree with the SLP one.
          1995 Firebird Formula
          (A4 3.23)Ram Air w/ K&N, TransGo Shift Kit w/3 washers ,SLP~Shorty headers, LoudMouth, Air Foil, LineLocks. Catco Cat. Hypertech 160. TB Bypass. MSD~8.5mm. Walbro 255lph. FT MAF ends. LT4KM. BMR~Adj LCA's, Rear sway, Panhard rod. HAL QA1 rear shocks. Random Tech adj TQ arm. Nitto NT555R's. Covered in Zaino. 13.466@103.85 N/A. [1.948 60' 13.410 @ 102.66 11/20/05]

Comment

Re: hehe I went with the 3 washers

Get the poly mount instead! woo hoo!

Originally posted by Formulaboy95
            the 3 washers is pretty excessive.... but it scares passengers to death on the 1-2! Bob, you might want to pre-order a SLP 1LE tranny mount, cause the factory one on mine lasted about 2 weeks and I only had 47,00mi on the odometer. Pretty sure others will agree with the SLP one.

Comment

Re: Re: hehe I went with the 3 washers

Originally posted by BAS
              Get the poly mount instead! woo hoo!
              Many people object to the drivetrain vibrations that the poly mount transmits through the frame. The factory 1LE solid rubber is a better choice for a street driven car. I've abused mine for several years now and it is holding up great. There is a little more vibration and noise, but it is livable.

Comment

Re: Re: Re: hehe I went with the 3 washers

That's what people say.. I put mine on, and
                I was like, hmm, there is a rattle, but it went away
                after a little bit. It also helps to find all your loose
                change.

My car drives like a tank now over bumps..its
                really noisey!

Originally posted by Joe 1320
                Many people object to the drivetrain vibrations that the poly mount transmits through the frame. The factory 1LE solid rubber is a better choice for a street driven car. I've abused mine for several years now and it is holding up great. There is a little more vibration and noise, but it is livable.

Comment

Re: Re: Best way to do it

Originally posted by BAS
                  Yeah, that thing on the side was tough enough
                  with it on the engine stand

And that one thing, I need a good c-clamp
                  to compress it... I don't see how they did theirs
                  by hand..sheesh!

wanna see what happens if you dont get that ring seated, check the link below. that was on my old car. man, what a mess. i was running the gears with it on the stands like in the video. It ran through first, when it went to shift to second all i heard was a loud cling sound, and it just revved up. there was fluid everywhere. the ring went flying across the ground.
                  i deffinantly would pull the tranny the next time i did one. but i dont have to worry about that now.

http://www.geocities.com/xxlo00oixx/shiftkit.html
                  Adam 2kSS #4959 6-speed
                  PERFORMANCE: whisper lid, mac headers w/ offroad y pipe, SLP Loudmouth, LS1 hotcam, ls6 springs, Predator, ngk tr6's, spec stage 3 x-pad, steel billet flywheel, 5177, purge, bottle heater, moser 12 bolt, 4.30 gears, tb coolant bypass, FRA, !cags, !egr, !A.I.R.
                  SUSPENSION : eibach pro kit, bmr boxed lca & relocation brackets
                  APPERENCE : clear corners, camaro fill in on front bumper and back, black and silver SS badges

http://www.geocities.com/xxlo00oixx

Comment

yup... happened to me too

mine happened down the street, just got back home in time before I lost too much fluid! The ring popped out half-way, and just seemed like it would never get back in. Turns out there was some grit in the notch for the ring that was preventing it from seating it right. Used a couple of q-tips to take care of that and everything was fine. Lost all the synthetic ATF I put in there, so I just went with the regular ATF. My neighbors could follow the trail back to my driveway.
                    1995 Firebird Formula
                    (A4 3.23)Ram Air w/ K&N, TransGo Shift Kit w/3 washers ,SLP~Shorty headers, LoudMouth, Air Foil, LineLocks. Catco Cat. Hypertech 160. TB Bypass. MSD~8.5mm. Walbro 255lph. FT MAF ends. LT4KM. BMR~Adj LCA's, Rear sway, Panhard rod. HAL QA1 rear shocks. Random Tech adj TQ arm. Nitto NT555R's. Covered in Zaino. 13.466@103.85 N/A. [1.948 60' 13.410 @ 102.66 11/20/05]

Comment

Working...
                    X