Anybody ever do an LT1 >LS1 swap?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody ever do an LT1 >LS1 swap?

Since the motor blew to smithereens this weekend, I was just curious...if I took a wrecked LS1 F-Body and took the computer, wiring harness, motor, bell housing and ignition lock, would it all go in ok? Has anyone ever done this here on the boards?

i tried a search, it wouldn't let me use the word "LS1"
    1998 TA M6 SLP Lid, Cold Air and Bellow, Flowmaster 3", Centerforce DF, Fast Toys MAF ends, JET skip shift eliminator 312rwhp/366rwtq

92 Lincoln Mark VII LSC For Sale

Visit Central Jersey Mustangs & Fords

I haven't done this swap personally but I know it is possible. Someone on here should know something about or have a link for you. Sounds like a fun challenge to me!!
    1991 Chevy Camaro RS (Is it plum or purple?)
    Engine: 305 TBI (L03)
    Trans: TH700R4
    Mods: Some

CarDomain Site

Comment

Thanks!
      1998 TA M6 SLP Lid, Cold Air and Bellow, Flowmaster 3", Centerforce DF, Fast Toys MAF ends, JET skip shift eliminator 312rwhp/366rwtq

Comment

Sounds like something the boys at ls1tech.com would have a little more info about......

....but.... if you have to do a swap, this is a great time to consider dropping in something hotter. LS6? LS2? 383 stroker LS1?

Let's have some fun!
        Former Ride: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 345 rwhp, 360 rwtq... stock internally.

Current Ride: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT Limited - spec.B #312 of 500

Comment

Actually, I was thinking 427 stroked LS6

Comment

Did you guys hear about the Lingenfelter ZR-1? It was a bored and stroked 383. It had so much power, it had wheel spin up to 4th gear. Sick.
            Hercules

2008 Sunburst Metallic HHR LT

Comment

Originally posted by DJ Taso
              Did you guys hear about the Lingenfelter ZR-1? It was a bored and stroked 383. It had so much power, it had wheel spin up to 4th gear. Sick.
              I actually missed that one...but when I had my 93 Formula, he did that 383 Formula and I fell in love. I spoke with John (R.I.P.) and I was supposed to fly out to Indiana with my mechanic to meet with him and com up with a plan of attack, tour his facility, blah blah blah...

had a baby, sold the car...

Anyway...i love that 383...but that 427 is outrageous

Comment

Originally posted by DJ Taso
                LT5 though...

Good luck affording/fitting that into a 4th gen f-body.
                Former Ride: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 345 rwhp, 360 rwtq... stock internally.

Comment

Maybe it's not a good idea afterall?

other than the front clip, what's different? (I don't mean that in a smart ass way...I really don't know) is the engine bay the same? I've driven one once, but i hafta admit, i am completely ignorant to everything LS1. I don't know anything about it except it's not the same block as any other Chevy in the past...

I dunno, it was just an idea I was kicking around...

disassembly starts tomorrow....

Comment

The motor mounts are in a different location than LT1.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin - Blown 95 TA
                      The motor mounts are in a different location than LT1.
                      Mm, I kinda figured. since I'm trying to get a whole car...can i use the K-Member from the donor car?

Comment

Do the LS1s still have the Opti? I hate that damned thing, lol

Comment

I only need to change the bellhousing on my T56, I hope?

Comment

Originally posted by FireFinder20
                            Do the LS1s still have the Opti? I hate that damned thing, lol
                            Nope.

Comment

individual coils? i liked that setup on my 01 Stang...

just losing the Opti alone is worth the headache of the swap...

Comment

Working...
                              X