Rear Springs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Springs

I switched out my rear springs for a pair from a regular T/A and I think the car hooks better. It also adds a little height to the rear so it has a little rake to it now, pretty close to the eibach rear drag spring. Anyone else try this?

There is no way that this is entering uncharted territory..... Someone on here must have played with different rear springs.

Fred?

Comment

I didn't even know there was a difference in ride height. Shows what I know lol
      Steve
      79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
      87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
      93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
      http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

I have the Eibach rear drag springs in my WS6 and they lowered the rear of the car about 1.5" and seemed to really help sticking launches. The most significant difference from the OEM spring I noticed was that the car left much more straight.

Comment

Whats the diff between the WS6 and the TA spring??
          96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
          11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Comment

My car (ordinary T/A) has a better firmess and stability in the back with the 1LE springs than stock ones. I replace DeCarbon for Bilstein shock absorbers. This set up works great for me. I don't want to lower the car because the bad surface roads & bad designed bumps here in my country.
            Take care
            Doc
            97 A4 Pontiac Firebird Trans am with $everal mod$

Comment

What is the difference between the springs you had and the springs you replaced them with? I don't know.

I know George Baxter had the Eibach Drag Launch springs on his 30th SS convertible (3,900#) and they told him to use "stock" coupe springs. I guess they felt that was sort of equivalent to going to a V6 spring on a V8 coupe.

We swapped, so he has my Formula rear springs and I have his Drag Launch springs. My car sits about 1/2" taller than stock with the Drag Launch. My car hooks. George's car hooks. So I really don't know what is best, or if it makes any difference.
              Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Fred, that's good info. The Stock T/A spring has raised my rear ride height what appears to be about 1/2 to 3/4 inch. Now there is a little rake from front to back, the car hooks pretty well. I still don't have anything exotic in the shock area, just a stock DeCarbon. I do have BMR Adjustable Panhard rod, control arms, relocation brackets, Torque arm with poly mount, Borbet lightweight Ms with 285/40/17 SZ50EPs. Very solid feel and great launch control. I do think a larger sway bar would help even more, so would a better shock.

Comment

From what I've read from ATR on the GN, a larger sway bar in the rear will help your launching by forcing torque to be evenly distributed between the 2 wheels. Not sure if there's any truth to this, but the sway bar may be a good choice. Also, don't the 1LE springs lower the car? I thought they were special Eibach springs sold to SLP for the SS and Firehawk and renamed the 1LE springs. If I'm wrong, please let me know because if they're stiffer but give the same height, I'll add them to my list of parts to get
                  Steve

Comment

Steve..some info...Looooooong

I purchased the 1LE springs from Dal Slabaugh..stiffier but same heights than stock
                    1996-1997
                    (2) Front shock absorber - Koni yellow (96+): 22140240
                    (2) Rear shock absorber - Koni yellow (96+): 22140228
                    LT1 Intake Bellows (93-97): 25147187
                    (2) Front springs (LT1, 360 lbs/in): 22132561
                    (2) Rear springs (LT1, 130-180 lbs/in): 22132562
                    Front sway bar (32 mm): 26032907
                    Transmission Mount: 22146231
                    (2) Rear lower control arm: 10164151
                    1LE History

The fourth generation Camaro was introduced in 1993, and Chevrolet did offer a 1LE options on the GEN IV Camaro's in 1993, but few were actually ordered. Some new updates were then included to make the 1LE option more appealing to the buying public. Koni had become almost the exclusive manufacturer of the racing shocks which were usually installed in preparation for competition on all '96 and later 1LE Camaro's after they left the showroom floor. The Koni double-adjustable racing shock was well accepted and successful trackside, but thought to be too high-end for public use. For the fourth generation, Koni contracted with GM to become the new shock supplier for all 1LE Camaro's. The '93s already came with an upgraded antilock braking system that was light years ahead of the third-generation version and if you bought a 1LE-equipped Camaro after 1993 you'd get much more than that for your money. GM began supplying Koni shocks on all four corners and including a little-known, unmarked instruction sheet in the glove box of each car explaining how to tune and adjust the shocks for the best handling on any track surface. Along with the Koni shocks, Chevrolet really went all-out on the suspension upgrades for this model. Chevy also offered higher-rate durometer bushings on the front and rear control arms and panhard bar, stiffer coil springs on all four corners, a larger 32mm front sway bar, 21mm rear, and a beefier transmission mount for manual transmission-equipped cars as part of the 1LE package. This package was now being targeted at performance enthusiasts, not just hard-core racers, and in 1996 all Camaro's came standard with air conditioning. Another little known-fact is that all GEN IV Camaro's came standard with a black painted roof, but the 1LE-equippedcars could be ordered with a roof painted to match the body color. All 1LEs automatically deleted the fog lamps on Z28s, adding another outside telltale sign to its performance potential.

Sometime around 1995, Chevrolet no longer wants to sell these cars only to racers and even promotes the 1LE option; now know as the Performance Suspension Package, in its public relations packets which is sent out to media and dealerships nationwide. What began as a hard-cord racing upgrade, meant only to win races at the track, turned into what is now a popular sales incentive for performance enthusiasts looking for just a bit more out of the Camaro. As Chevy points out in its own literature, the 1LE is "engineered specifically for professional racing and is intended for serious performance enthusiasts only."

The 1LE option was discontinued in 1999. GM's reason was the cost of keeping an inventory of parts for such a low production vehicle was not profitable. However, the option returned in2001 on Camaro SS and Firebird Firehawk's prepared by SLP and ordered with Y2Y options.

GM Stock F-body Springs

FRONT

22077189 (39 N/mm, 223 lbs/in) (93-97 V6)

22133438 (45 N/mm, 257 lbs/in) (98-00 V6)

22077197 (51 N/mm, 292 lbs/in) (93-00 V8)

22132887 (63 N/mm, 360 lb/in) (WS6, 1LE)

REAR

22077418 (16.9 N/mm, 95.4 lbs/in) (93-97 V6)

22077421 (19.9 N/mm, 114 lbs/in) (93-00 V8, 98-00 V6)

22132889 (23 to 30 N/mm, 130-170 lbs/in) (WS6, 1LE)

MISC

The stock V8s rear springs are used on 98+ V6 models (114 lbs/in).

The 98+ V6s have stiffer front springs (257 lbs/in) than earlier years.

Y87 cars have same springs as non-Y87.

Eibach

Here are 3831.240, 93-97 V6 spring rates, the front is linear, and the rear is progressive:

1" drop
                    Front = 351 lbs/in
                    Rear first = 80 - 137 lbs/in
                    And the spring rates for the 3870.240, 98+ V6 kit, both front and rear are progressive springs:

1.4" drop
                    Front = 377 - 600 lb/in
                    Rear = 80 - 137 lb/in
                    Technical Support
                    Eibach Springs, Inc.
                    949-752-6700 - X114

G2

Here are the Super Spring rates, the front is linear, and the rear is progressive:

1.5" drop front, 1.625” rear
                    Front = 540 lbs/in
                    Rear = 140 - 180 lbs/in

MAC

Here are V8 spring rates, both the front and rear are progressive:

1.5" drop
                    Front = 450 - 515 lbs/in
                    Rear = 215 - 245 lbs/in

GM Stock F-body Shocks

FRONT

22151319 (93-97 V6)

22182495 (98-01 V6)

22171227 (1LE DeCarbon)

22140240 (1LE Koni)

22140189 (93-97 V8)

22182498 (98-01 V8)

REAR

22182505 (93-00 V6/V8)

10443949 (01 V6/V8)

22166714 (WS6)

22182505 (1LE DeCarbon)

22140228 (1LE Koni)

MISC

Extreme Sport Suspension Package (1LE 32mm front sway bar, 1LE front bushings, 1LE endlinks, 1LE PHR) GM p/n 12363906

Rear Wheel Jounce Bumper 15 mm Spacer kit GM p/n 12363935

Sorry about too much info but is better to know before a to make a bad choice

Take care Doc

Comment

Thanks for the history lesson Dr. Hidalgo, when is the paper due? lol j/k So, if one was to order the 1LE springs for his, oh say, 93 Z28, one would keep the same ride height yet enjoy a stiffer suspension, correct? Thanks for the insight man.
                      Steve

Comment

Doc's The Man. BTW, Happy belated Birthday, Doc.

Comment

Thanks Joe ! Trying to keep myself safe and sound...50 years old but I feel in the 30th myself
                          Take care
                          Doc

Comment

Steve..specific year info..93 right?

LT1 Intake Bellows (93-97): 25147187
                            Rear sway bar (93 only, 21 mm): 10021221
                            (2) Front springs (LT1, 360 lbs/in): 22132561
                            (2) Rear springs (LT1, 130-180 lbs/in): 22132562
                            Front sway bar (32 mm): 26032907
                            Transmission Mount: 22146231
                            (2) Rear lower control arm: 10164151

This springs will not lower your car
                            Greeetings
                            Doc

Comment

As far as the suspension goes, I've already done the LCAs, panhard bar from Spohn and put in some SFCs from SLP. Can't do the tranny mount since its a T-56 and there's no mount, just the crossbeam. Not sure what you mean but intake bellows, but I've already done everything in front of the throttle body (Vortech intake elbow and SLP CAI). Been debating the sway bars and torque arm from Spohn. Now that I know the 1LE springs will not lower the car, those are added on the list. Any ideas for shocks? Need to be road-friendly but aggressive when I want them to be.

***update***

I just checked for pricing on the springs you mentioned and couldn't find them on gmpartsdirect.com or paceparts.com. Dealer only?
                              Steve

Comment

Working...
                              X