Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine rebuild...need ideas

Hey,
    I went to this auto shop that has a custom hot rod/muscle car shop about 10 minutes from my house because I'm looking at getting my engine rebuilt in my 1970 Firebird. I have a really cheap 350 in my firebird. I told the guy I wanted to get the 350 in it rebuilt to make more power...around 350 HP and the same amount of TQ. He starts telling me what he can do, saying he can put any combo on it (i.e. different carb, cam, intake manifold, pistons, etc....)

I am taking my car in there next Friday and he is gonna take the 350 apart and see what parts are on the engine, then he said he would call me and give me some options and combos he can throw together for the engine, because he said he can do a lot of different combo's to get 350 HP. I'm just wondering...what should I have him put on? I know for sure I want him to put headers on in place of the exhaust manifolds...but what else should I have him do?

I don't want him to go crazy with the engine, 350 HP is pretty mild, but I was thinking: Headers, Camshaft, and Carb? or Intake Manifold? Or should I throw pistons in there? I can't do too much because $Money$ is a factor.

Anyone have suggestions about what combos I should ask to be done? Or any "must haves"? Thanks guys.

-Daniel-

Shouldn't need to touch the pistons unless they are not re-usable. Cam, bigger carb, and headers should easily get you 350hp.

Comment

Originally posted by fastTA
      Shouldn't need to touch the pistons unless they are not re-usable. Cam, bigger carb, and headers should easily get you 350hp.
      If I tell them that I want a Cam, bigger carb, and headers...do I have to buy those and give them to the shop to have them put em on. Or does the shop buy them?

What kinda Cam should I get? I know what a camshaft is, but what brand should I ask for and what cams do what? What would be the best Cam if I wanted it to add some HP and TQ but also make the car sound good at idle and WOT? As far as a bigger carb, I'm only asking for the engine to be making around 350 HP so maybe a 650CFM or 700CFM 4bbl carb would work? And an electric choke is better than a manual right? What kinda carb? Holley or Edelbrock?

As far as headers go...I'm pretty set on it...I want Hooker Headers. Anyways anymore suggestions would be appreciated.

Comment

650 carb is all you need in a 350. a 750 is just to much. as far as cams go, comp cams are good cams at a decent price. You need to do some studing on cams and figure out what it is you are looking for out of you motor. Were do you want the horse power , and were do you want the tq? Any cam with more than .500 lift and you will need flat top pistons do to comp. With that in mind you will also have to get a stall converter which can be high dollar. Victor Jr. intake by edelbrock is the best single plane intake on the market, It will give you the low end tq you need to get of the line. Hooker comp headers are great headers and don't cost much either. I would go with comp cams cam that is around .489 lift. that is what i put in all my friends cars that want a good thump but you don't have to put 10 to 1 pistons in it.It sounds great and gives it much more power. I would spend the money on some roller rockers , roller is about the only way to make a chevy run. But this is all what I do. I might add I have good luch with all the motor work I do.

Comment

I forgot to add that if you just drive on the street edelbrock carb is the way to go. Holley's are great.....for racing, but on the street you have to adjust them to much. edelbrocks just stay with the setting were you put them. If money is a problem I would find a used carter somewere and rebuild it. they are the same as edelbrocks inside and out. Electric choke is the only wat to go.

Comment

Hey inspector,
            thanks for the suggestions...could you explain the camshaft idea a little more? You said I should get a Comp Cams Camshaft with .489 lift...what exactly does the .489 lift mean? and when dealing with cams isn't there something called like duration? Or am I way off? Could you maybe give me some specific models of camshafts that I could look up so I can have a better idea.

You mentioned, 650 edelbrock carb, hooker comp headers, Comp Cams .489 lift Camshaft, Victor Jr Edelbrock Intake, and some Roller rockers. Out of these 5 that you mentioned what are the top 3 I should get? Camshaft, Carb, and Headers? Or something else? The reason I'm asking is just because I could probably only afford to have 3 out of those 5 put in along with the rebuild...but the guy I was talking to said something like he could fix it up to make a certain amount of HP and he would get the parts so I'm kinda confused. Because I would rather pick out the parts I want and have him put them on, but he said that the price of parts is included in the rebuild so I dont know, I'm confused lol.

Comment

Originally posted by 70formula400
              Hey inspector,
              thanks for the suggestions...could you explain the camshaft idea a little more? You said I should get a Comp Cams Camshaft with .489 lift...what exactly does the .489 lift mean? and when dealing with cams isn't there something called like duration? Or am I way off? Could you maybe give me some specific models of camshafts that I could look up so I can have a better idea.

You mentioned, 650 edelbrock carb, hooker comp headers, Comp Cams .489 lift Camshaft, Victor Jr Edelbrock Intake, and some Roller rockers. Out of these 5 that you mentioned what are the top 3 I should get? Camshaft, Carb, and Headers? Or something else? The reason I'm asking is just because I could probably only afford to have 3 out of those 5 put in along with the rebuild...but the guy I was talking to said something like he could fix it up to make a certain amount of HP and he would get the parts so I'm kinda confused. Because I would rather pick out the parts I want and have him put them on, but he said that the price of parts is included in the rebuild so I dont know, I'm confused lol.
              Here are some cam basics. It is not at all a good habit to compare cams by the amount of lift they can provide. Always compare cams by the duration @0.050" and the LSA or lobe separation angle.

http://ctfba.tripod.com/main/technic.../cambasics.htm

Comment

You need to specify that youre working on a PONTIAC 350. OR am I wrong?? At least, thats what you elluded to in your previous post. There is a BIG difference between a pontiac and chevy 350. I just want to reiterate, if you go with the Pontiac 400 that was in it originally, you will START with 350 horsepower with STOCK parts - just get a rebuildable engine and freshen it. If you look around, you could pick up a rebuildabale 400 for 300 bucks or so. You'll spend that on the carb and headers for the 350!

..........I just looked up the HP #'s on the Pontiac 350 from that era - at BEST its putting out 255 HP (stock of course). But, if your looking to make power, go with the 400 (350 HP) - you'll be glad you did after all is said and done. Good heads available for the 350 are just not there...it just wasnt Pontiacs performance engine. The 400 has MANY head combos that you could run to get good power. If youre gonna do it - do it right the first time.
                96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
                11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Comment

Sorry I didn't think about it being a pont 350. I will have to agree with the last post. Those 350's just aren't the best motor for a hot rod. They start to have oil problems when you increase the horsepower and tq. The 400's are a power house bone stock. that is the way to go if you ask me.

Comment

I'm not trying to make my car a street demon or anything. I'm not gonna be taking it to tracks, (maybe just once to see what it runs) and I'm not gonna take it to street races. I just want to get it running again because it has been sitting for about 6-7 months now. And I figured I would get the engine rebuilt and while I'm doing that just have them build it to make more power than it has now.

Maybe later on down the road I'll look into getting it faster for a reason and upgrade to a 400 or maybe even a 455. But for now I'm fine with the 350 in it and adding headers and a cam and a carb...stuff like that. I don't have much money either so that is a factor, but thanks for your suggestions.

Comment

WHat im trying to say is that for the same money or maybe less, you could build a stock 400 rather than a modded 350 and make more power. Look, the rebuild kit is the same amount of money whether its a 350 or 400. Now instead of buying a fancy carburetor, hot cam, headers etc....buy a rebuildable 400 for 300 bucks or so. You will also have a much nicer "platform" to build from in the future should you come into some money.

Anyways, thats my last arguement. You do what you want (obviously) and have fun with it!
                      96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
                      11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Comment

I would go with a 400 as well. I have a 68 bonneville (lead sled) with a 400 in and it shes got great get up and go. I ran a 15.9 @ 87 with an open rear and the stock 3 speed auto with NO engine modifications. just stock they're great engines. decent gas mileage too, I seen 14-15 a few times. thats only 2 mpg less than my firebird lol.
                        94 Firebird Formula LE3 383 - Built 4L60E w/ 3500rpm stall - Macs into SLP LM - 3.73s in stock rear - having fun with problems

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by N20LT4Bird
                          WHat im trying to say is that for the same money or maybe less, you could build a stock 400 rather than a modded 350 and make more power. Look, the rebuild kit is the same amount of money whether its a 350 or 400. Now instead of buying a fancy carburetor, hot cam, headers etc....buy a rebuildable 400 for 300 bucks or so. You will also have a much nicer "platform" to build from in the future should you come into some money./QUOTE]

Okay, I really don't know much about engines. Where exactly would I get a rebuildable 400? You say I can get one for 300 dollars or so, so I'm guessing it would only be the 400 block? Or would it be the block, heads, intake, etc...stuff like that, just in poor condition that I could have rebuilt?

I asked the guy when i was talking to him how much a 400 would cost instead of the 350? But I guess I made a mistake because I just said how much would it cost to buy an already built/complete 400 and then mod it a little...so yea.

What exactly do you mean by a "rebuildable 400?" You mean just the 400 block? Or basically a complete 400 engine but in poor condition so I can get it for cheap and then have it rebuilt? Where would I find a rebuildable 400? Are there companies that sell them for around the same amount of money you were talking about ($300) or I would have to find a private party selling it? Or go to a junkyard? Like I said I'm not too keen on engines so I really wouldn't be that knowledgeable on what to look for.

I'm really having second thoughts on getting the 350 rebuilt. Just by looking at all the posts on this particular thread I'm starting to think I'd regret getting the 350 rebuilt, after it's too late to do anything about it.

So if you guys could give me suggestions on what to look for as far as a 400 goes. If it's better to buy a 400 block in good condition and then take it to a shop and have them build it up or if its better to buy a 400 basically complete engine but kind of in poor condition and then have it rebuilt. Any other suggestions on how much Id be looking at for the whole process including installation, and where I could find a 400 and things to look for and things to look out for would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys, I think you might have just saved me from making a big mistake and having regrets about the 350.

-Daniel-

Comment

One more option would be to get one of the engines that Jegs, or Summit has. They wouldn't be Pontiac 400 engines, they are 350's, but I don't know if they are Pontiac or Chevy 350's?

The engine below is a base engine: it doesn't come with an: intake manifold, distributor, flexplate, torsion damper, water pump, or exhaust manifolds, it says it makes 330HP and 380TQ I guess depending on what setup you add to it. It costs $2299.00

JEG'S High Performance - Car, Truck, Street, and Drag Racing Performance Parts

This engine is a complete engine except for: Carb, spark plug wires, starter, oil filter, oil filter adapter, and exhaust manifolds, it says it'll make 355HP and 405TQ: again, depending on what setup you add to it. It's priced at $3699.00

This engine, from what I can see is totally complete, it's got the carb, dist and everything. It's got 330HP and 380TQ and is priced at $3379.99

So, my question is, do you guys think one of the engines I listed above would be a good choice to go with for my car. Or do you still think that finding a rebuildable 400, is a better bet?

Comment

For some reason the links didn't work...If you go to Jegs.com click on "Engines and Components" then click on "Complete Engines" then the 3 engines in order that I listed are: GM Performance Parts "Base" 350HO Crate Engine...GM Performance Parts "ZZ4HO" 350 Crate Engine...GM Performance Parts Deluxe 350 HO Crate Engine

Comment

Working...
                              X