This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fast Mother
    I'm sorry if I have to be the first to say this, but it's sounds like you are a spoiled little snob. Nice payment to do something for yourself, huh? Pretty sad, kids like you will never learn the value of money or hard work. I don't mean to start a flame war or anything so I'm done, had to get that off my chest. Peace, hope you quit.
    I am not sure why he is being attacked for quitting smoking. If his parents would like to reward him for this, then that is up to them. All parents play the rewards game from a very early age. My three year old gets his fruit candies if he puts his clothes on, finishes his dinner, etc. As he gets older, he will get the toy that he wants if he does what he is asked or get his go-cart to race with dad if he keeps his grades up, etc. He is told "NO" when he doesn't behave or do what he is asked...got to say no when it is appropriate. Personally, I think there is a problem when parents don't care, and buy the stuff for their kids...just to keep them out of their hair. Sure, it is nice "...to work for it", and I have many times over. However, my parents bought me my '79 T/A when I turned 18 many years ago...I still have it, and it sits under its cover in the garage as it has for the last 14 years. There were a whole lot of conditions attached to it, and I passed them all.

Anyhow, best of luck to you with your decision to quite smoking...you will enjoy a much healthier life. This is a good wake up call... My dad quite smoking in his 30s, he went in for triple by-pass in his 60s...the cause...smoking when he was younger. If he didn't stop he would have just been dead like his father and brother who died at 52 & 54 respectively from massive heart failure. Scary stuff...wish you the best!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    '77 K5 rock-crawler project
    '79 T/A: WS6, 400 4sp, 40K miles; Completely stock and original
    '87 Lifted 3/4 ton Suburban (Big Blue) plow truck
    '94 Roadmaster Wagon (The Roadmonster) 200,000 miles and still going
    '97 T/A: (SLP 1LE Suspension, SB, & sfc(s), Loudmouth); 4.10s; B&M Ripper; R/A Hood; ZR1s
    My daily drivers: '06 Jeep Liberty CRD (wife); '01 Yukon Denali XL (me); '03 Stratus Coupe (me)

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by TrAnS Am 98
      Fast Mother saying im spoiled just means ur jealous, did mommy and daddy not hug you enough ? ? did they hug u a lil too much???
      keep your opinions to yourself next time u have no right to say that
      You are tap dancing over the line as well.

It's about to get ugly if the flames don't go out now.

Comment

Fast Mother saying im spoiled just means ur jealous, did mommy and daddy not hug you enough ? ? did they hug u a lil too much???
        All he's saying is that its odd that they're buying you stuff because you want to quit smoking.. after buying you your car.

It doesn't mean he's jealous. I wouldn't want people buying me stuff either... I just prefer to buy my own things.. oh well.
        Working on the 80 Camaro Z28 ..
        Now driving a '90 Talon TSi AWD Turbo...

Comment

You guys need to chill. Come on, its not easy to give up smoking. I've seen my mom, dad and my girl give it up and they can tell you its one of the hardest things to do. Trans Am 98, my hat's off to you. Just keep it up and you'll be a better man because of it. But guys, keep it cool now. You never know how hard something is until you go through it yourself. Let's just keep it cool. Good luck man, I'm with ya on that.
          Steve
          79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
          87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
          93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
          http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

as hard as it is to stop smoking i have no sympathy..people chose to smoke i have seen 2 family members die from lung cancer and yet people in my family still have not learned and started smoking

i am 19 and i dont drink or smoke...its not that hard

Comment

Dude, I'm 22 and I don't drink or smoke either. But, you've gotta realize when someone stops smoking it would be like you giving up your car...its not easy at all. Just because you didn't start doesn't mean its that easy to quit. Just some personal experience, that's all.
              Steve
              79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
              87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
              93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
              http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

come on yall.

the locust are comming to the east coast......

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
                Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
                sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

woo hoooo today was my first official day without a cigarette, no cravings yet

Comment

I quit smoking a couple of years ago. I smoked for about 13 years. Don't quit unless you want it. It won't work if you are doing it for someone else.

Good luck.

96 TA Sold!
                    87 TA Sold!
                    80 Z28 Sold!
                    74 Formula Sold!
                    73 Z28 Sold!
                    69 Camaro Not Sold!

Comment

Originally posted by Steve93Z
                      Dude, I'm 22 and I don't drink or smoke either. But, you've gotta realize when someone stops smoking it would be like you giving up your car...its not easy at all. Just because you didn't start doesn't mean its that easy to quit. Just some personal experience, that's all.
                      i didnt mean it was easy to quit..i give him props for quiting just saying i have no sympathy for how hard it is going to be because people just shouldnt start smoking the first place

Comment

Good Luck

I started smoking about 7 1/2 years ago when I was about 14 and stupid. Right when I became hooked I wanted to quit, when i was 15 I even quit for a month!

My sister quit a month ago with the patch she gave me her extras, once my pack is gone I'm trying them out.

She cant even stand the smell of cigarette smoke anymore, and took a drag a couple days after she quit to remind herself how disgusting they are.

I think what you parents are doing is a great thing, quiting is a very hard thing to do. Its also very harmfull to your health, their just showing their support with a little gift. If its going to help you quit in anyway its worth it you cant put a price on good health.

1994 Firebird Formula 138,000 Completly Stock

1995 Caprice 9c1 61,000
                        2001 Intrigue GL

Comment

What kind of parents let their 12 year old son become addicted to cigarrettes, then buy him a 305 horsepower V8 car before he even has his license, then promises to spend $1500 on said car to make it faster if the kid stops smoking?

If you're going to talk about mommy and daddy not doing good parenting... seems like they're trying to kill you off or something. Either with the cancer or the car, they seem to be lacking the offspringus protectionist chromosome.

Comment

Originally posted by briantech98
                            What kind of parents let their 12 year old son become addicted to cigarrettes, then buy him a 305 horsepower V8 car before he even has his license, then promises to spend $1500 on said car to make it faster if the kid stops smoking?
                            I hear ya.. I have a cousin that is 28, still lives at home, never had a job in his life, doesn't cook, doesn't clean, and everything he wants he gets.
                            '99 A4 1.8T QMS Santorin
                            (Hey, that's not an F-Body)

Comment

Re: nfb : i quit smoking

ive smoked since i was 12 1/2 yes 12 1/2 and this morning i just decided to quit cold turkey cause thats the only way to do it. i threw out all my cartons and destroyed my pack and i feel great about it. its not just worth it anymore and it hurts my family too much since im the only one that smokes.
                              tomorrows the first real day without a cigarette so wish me luck!!!!
                              You know...it's good to know that you have the drive to live a healthier life...but moreover, it's cool to know you're comfortable enough to even share your personal life with the board. I know some of us have very strong convictions and believe what we believe strongly...but all of us would rather see healthy-happy f-body member than a dead one.

Not all of us are reared the same way...the fact your folks are cool enough to get you a TA is great...not my first choice of car for my kids (when I have em)...but it's cool of them. My folks gave me the GTA a month before I got my license...didn't drive it much, but I did get it.

Hope you do quit...my Dad quit for my brother when he was a baby, that was 16 years ago...I hope you kick the habit too. It's not worth the pain and shorten life you'll have in the future. More POWER to you broh.

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
                              Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
                              B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
                              Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
                              Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

I have to agree on the whole parent thing. I mean, if my son started smoking at 12 , then he would be grounded until he quit. In other words, he would not leave the house until he had no more cravings, not for school, not for socializing, nothing. You can't trust an addict, and his life would be alot more important than the semester of school he would miss. Now buying the kid a TA before he has a license, that definitely doesn't sound like a good idea. I don't want to judge his parents, but it does sound like there could have been some better decisions made. However, we can't blame him for the way they have raised him to be. He is making a GREAT decision by deciding to stop smoking. I just hope he will show the same level of maturity while driving his car.

2000 Black Camaro w/3800 V6. Hotchkis STB, Whisper Lid, K&N, Flowmaster exhaust.

Comment

Working...
                                X