LT4 hotcam

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LT4 hotcam

I am looking at the lt4 hotcam. Anyone currently running it? How rough is the idle? How much of a difference did it make?

Are you prepaired to change the OPTI to vented and the front timing cover to accept the vented OPTI?
    2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

lol, my opti spark is out now. As for the timing chain cover, it can't be that bad. The vented opti spark started which year? I will just take the one I got back and swap it for a later year if that will work. Anything else I need to do?

Comment

Last fall I put in a '96 engine and the Lt-4 hot cam kit with roller rockers, and HD timing chain and gears from Dal Salbaugh at Van Dere Olds. Good price for the stuff. Seems "gutsier", and power comes on above 2000. Ilde is nice lope, but not one that needs reving to keep running. I have NOT done the PCM program yet, which should bring out the power in the kit. I am satisfied so far.

You should change the timing cover and the opti to '96-'97 for the vented unit. I also added a small vacum hose off the weep hole of the water pump and routed it to the steering rack, so when the pump fails, the coolant stays off the opti and goes to a noticeable spot.
        The Old Guy! '94 z-28, m-6, t-tops, go-fast red, 316k. Now with '96 engine w/ Lt-4 hot cam, roller rockers, heavy duty timing chain, and Spec stage 2 clutch.

Comment

The LT4 "hotcam" is a very mild cam. It doesn't really lope at all. Very easily streetable.

Comment

Why do you have to change to a vented opti.
            1994 Firebird Formula, M6, Fan switch, 160 thermostat, Pacesetter LT headers, Morosso CAI, TB bypass, True duals.

Comment

Thanks for all of the info. I actually found a comp cam that I like a lot better. It has less lift, but quite a bit more duration. I will let you guys know how it turns out. Thanks again

Comment

Originally posted by 94 formula
                Why do you have to change to a vented opti.
                The drive mechanism is different for the non vented http://shbox.com/1/93-94_opti.jpg and the vented http://shbox.com/1/opti_back.jpg OPTI. The LT4 hot cam (from what I've heard here) has the drive key for the vented OPTI. Therfore to use the LT4 hot cam you have to switch to the vented OPTI which forces the use of the 95-97 timing cover. http://shbox.com/1/engine_front_diagram.jpg
                2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

Comment

Originally posted by 94LT1Z28
                  Thanks for all of the info. I actually found a comp cam that I like a lot better. It has less lift, but quite a bit more duration. I will let you guys know how it turns out. Thanks again
                  You should verify which drive mechanism that cam has before you buy it. 93-94 or 95-97.

Comment

Litt OT : Can someone kinda explain "cam talk"?

Like, what's lift and duration, and what does it mean? Or point me to a place to read about it?

I'm going to cam my car eventually, and I'm not 100% sure on what to look for.

Thanks!
                    99 SS, MTI Lid, 3.90 gears, Hurst shifter, DMH 3" e-cutout

Comment

You don't have to change to a vented Opti if you don't want to. You have to shorten the dowel pin on the cam though if you don't go to the vented Opti.

Vented Opti's came out in 95.
                      Rob
                      04 GTO

Comment

What comp cam did you go with??? Bear in mind that the hotcam advertised lift is with a 1.6 rocker, while comp advertises their cams lift with a 1.5 rocker.
                        Active Duty USAF KC-10 Boom

93 F-Body Service Manual DTC and Driveability Charts

Comment

Working...
                        X