flat battery

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• flat battery

my battery has just given up the ghost all of a sudden the hydrometeris showing green and the charge meter is showing 13 volts but the starter just turns once then clicks if you put a boost pack on it will start at once. if i put a multi meter on the battery it shows 12.3 volts with the key off as soon as you turn the key on bot not to start it drops to 10.2 volts is it my battery or altenator i have not been able to check the out put with the car running any clues? ps this car is my daily driver so i need help quick if poss
    http://www.pontiacdriversclub.co.uk/ keeping it pontiac in the the uk. 93 formula a4 ZR1 rims
    C A I , B M R torque arm lower arms panhard rod and sub frame conectors borla adjustble with Q T P valve and no cat WHAT NEXT ?

big burn out movie nats 2003 burn out contest
    mirror burn out movie top ten burn outs

How old's the battery?

Had same symptoms recently on two of my cars and both times I had to buy a new battery. One was only 1 1/2 years old.
    97 Trans Am A4 more or less stock (Mods: WS6 Ram Air with Fernco & K&N, 12 disc CD changer, power antenna, SLP Fan Switch, LS1 Aluminum DS, Borla Cat back, McCord power plate, Spohn tower brace, Sirius, HID fog lights)

1and1 Web Hosting

Comment

re flat bat

i do not know how old the battery is its just strange that the hydrometer is still green. go corvttes have the same batery as i an get one of thoe tomoro?
      http://www.pontiacdriversclub.co.uk/ keeping it pontiac in the the uk. 93 formula a4 ZR1 rims
      C A I , B M R torque arm lower arms panhard rod and sub frame conectors borla adjustble with Q T P valve and no cat WHAT NEXT ?

Comment

Anyhow, charge the battery for several hours and then hook it up. If the same thing happens again, I would say it is shut.
        97 Trans Am A4 more or less stock (Mods: WS6 Ram Air with Fernco & K&N, 12 disc CD changer, power antenna, SLP Fan Switch, LS1 Aluminum DS, Borla Cat back, McCord power plate, Spohn tower brace, Sirius, HID fog lights)

1and1 Web Hosting

Comment

I would jump start it then disconnect the battery. Rev it to like 1500 and turn on the lights and the A/C on max. If it doesn't die, it's the battery. If it does, it's the alternator.
          2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff 95 Z28
            I would jump start it then disconnect the battery. Rev it to like 1500 and turn on the lights and the A/C on max. If it doesn't die, it's the battery. If it does, it's the alternator.
            alternator-ed cars wont run without input from a battery...unlike a car with a generator.... they need the current input to the stator in the alternator...........thats why you cant push/jump start a car with an alternator........what are you talking about broh?

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
            Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
            sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

Originally posted by wolfman
              alternator-ed cars wont run without input from a battery...unlike a car with a generator.... they need the current input to the stator in the alternator...........thats why you cant push/jump start a car with an alternator........what are you talking about broh?
              Come on man, I'm not that old. I've never had a car with a generator.

Not true. Once the alternator is spinning, it energizes the entire electrical system. If you run the output of the alternator to the positive input to the regulator, you can spin it and it will make juice (and grounding the negative to the case.).

And just to be sure, I started my car, disconnected the battery and it ran fine. I've load tested alternators like this for years.
              2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

i had the same thing happen to me this weekend on my bonneville. it is the battery. do you have a large stereo in you car. sometimes when you deep cycle a battery so many times it will ruin it. Mine i could hook to the battery charger and it would take the charge. as soon as i hit the key it would drop to around 6 volts and start charging agian. i was luckily had my t/a apart and a fresh battery setting on the floor in my garage so i hooked it up and it was all good
                1994 Trans Am GT
                http://www.sounddomain.com/memberpage/208684/1
                Ram Air hood and airbox
                headers
                exhaust
                lowered 2"
                underdrive pully
                sloted rotors
                electric water pump
                air foil
                denso plugs
                taylor wires
                tinted windows
                eagle rims
                2000 watt stereo

Comment

someone told me that if you diconect the battery while on it could " spike" the system . dont know if thats true or not though
                  Miss My Bird

Comment

new battery

i just fitted a new battery so i will keep i eye on it and let you know

Comment

Working...
                    X