Hard starting when warm

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hard starting when warm

When I go out to crank it first thing in the morning, it usually starts after 2-3 turnovers. When it has warmed up and I try to start it, it gives the sympoms of a bad battery (turns over real slow, but finally starts after about 4 seconds). I'm getting good volts when the ignition is set to run (about 12-13), and even when it is running (13-14). Does this sound like a problem with a starter, or perhaps something having to do with the ignition (cap, rotor, etc.)? It has been doing this ever since I owned the car (about 7 months). Any suggestions are appreciated.
    '95 White Z28 M6 Cold air intake with K&N air filter, air foil, flowmaster cat-back, eaton posi, motive 4.10s, aluminum driveshaft, "skip shift" eliminator, '97 Z28 chrome wheels, hypertech programmed

If its cranking slower, its probably a starter issue. You could have it load tested to find out.
    96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
    11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Comment

I've never had any starter issues before. I was just wondering if I have to pull the starter off the vehicle to have it load tested, or if I can just take it to a shop and they can do it while it is installed.
      '95 White Z28 M6 Cold air intake with K&N air filter, air foil, flowmaster cat-back, eaton posi, motive 4.10s, aluminum driveshaft, "skip shift" eliminator, '97 Z28 chrome wheels, hypertech programmed

Comment

Oreilly, and most other auto parts stores, can do this with a simple tester unit. A 5 minute procedure, at most -- and always free.
        1995 Chevy Camaro, V6, 5-spd Manual - Looks like it just rolled off the showroom floor :-)

Comment

Check the connections of the positive battery terminal at the starter as well as the battery. My 67 'bird did that once for weeks out of the blue, it ended up being loose connections. The connections were not that loose, so it doesn't take much
          Raven
          Oroan's woman loves her 67' Firebird

Comment

hey..rstinnett....I got a 95 too....
            Attached Files
            Oroan's woman loves her 67' Firebird

Comment

Working...
            X