Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

You might be a Ricer If......................

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would think that on a fuel-injected car, the computer always tries to keep the mixture at 14.7 during normal driving no matter what filter is on there, within reason. The things that really affect mileage on a FI car are healthy O2 sensors, good plugs & wires, clean throttle body, clean injectors, engine oil, tire pressure, trans lube, and fuel quality. A CAI will give you more capability for power because the computer is going to look at improved air density and flow, but I doubt it can affect mileage to any appreciable degree because that is closed loop. Unless, of course, the little pissant engine is using up half its horsepower trying to suck air through a plugged filter and associated restrictive intake tract - in that case, the mileage just might improve a bit with a K&N and high flow tube...

Comment

Maybe the stock filter was dirty. I saw it but it didnt look to dirty. So insted of replacing it I bought a CIA. Ill stop while im here, and pay my respects to my elders. I didnt mean to disrespect Jay. The pissant alomst kept up with a beat up 5.0... pretty sad for 'rustangs. But my killer is shy from going backwards. ha ha ha
      Eddie
      2000 M6 Trans Am
      Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

Don't sweat it buddy. That Jay guy - he's full of crap. A CAI is a good mod on any car, in anybody's book. Maybe I'll stick one on my CRV and see what happens...A lot of us have some other cars for our daily drivers, especially up here in the north where it snows.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin - Blown 95 TA
          Don't sweat it buddy. That Jay guy - he's full of crap.
          Totally. A complete moron, if I don't say so myself.

Anywho... yes, a CAI is a staple on any car. Everyone does it... BUT, expecting it to that drastically effect gas mileage or engine performance is a bit overly ambitious.
          Former Ride: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 345 rwhp, 360 rwtq... stock internally.

Current Ride: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT Limited - spec.B #312 of 500

Comment

the only thing i have seen a CAI do and a few of my friends have 4cyl cars, i have seen them lower MPG raise noise and slightly quicken throttle response

but most of that was probably just because those cars probably had original filters on them..sigh

Comment

Thats true as for the stock filter. When i was installing it, I thought it was going to be a snap, but little did i know that there was like 5 feet of crossed tubing, a huge air box and a silencer. So ya that might be a reason why i noticed a difference. But i could have sworn that it was around 3 miles. But oh well.. Its dead. Now all i have to worry about is not to suck up water into the filter considering the rain is expected to be about 3-6 inches in 2 days. Im going to move the filter back into the engine compartment. HA hA ha
              Eddie
              2000 M6 Trans Am
              Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

Originally posted by ConElite
                Maybe the stock filter was dirty. I saw it but it didnt look to dirty. So insted of replacing it I bought a CIA. Ill stop while im here, and pay my respects to my elders. I didnt mean to disrespect Jay. The pissant alomst kept up with a beat up 5.0... pretty sad for 'rustangs. But my killer is shy from going backwards. ha ha ha

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
                Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
                sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

Thats true as for the stock filter. When i was installing it, I thought it was going to be a snap, but little did i know that there was like 5 feet of crossed tubing, a huge air box and a silencer. So ya that might be a reason why i noticed a difference. But i could have sworn that it was around 3 miles. But oh well.. Its dead. Now all i have to worry about is not to suck up water into the filter considering the rain is expected to be about 3-6 inches in 2 days. Im going to move the filter back into the engine compartment. HA hA ha

i seriously wouldnt worry about..just watch for huge standing puddle and ull be fine. ud be amazed just how LITTLE water will get ever near the filter let alone though the filter. more then once i thought we were going to kill my friends GSR driving it in the rain and hitting a massive! puddle lol

Comment

Originally posted by Mike71
                    i seriously wouldnt worry about..just watch for huge standing puddle and ull be fine. ud be amazed just how LITTLE water will get ever near the filter let alone though the filter. more then once i thought we were going to kill my friends GSR driving it in the rain and hitting a massive! puddle lol
                    Well I worked for a guy who had a 300ZX TT and he ran it thru some standing water on a rainy day and sucked enough water thru the stock intake to do $14,000 damage to the turbos, engine, and electrical system which totaled the car. I'm sure most of the damage was due to the fragmentation of the turbos, but I always thought that was one of his brighter dumb boss tricks. Especially since it was a "work" car which the company had paid for...

Comment

OUch. thats last post hurt me. No I already toke off the extrender tube so the filter is in the engine compartment. Ya the "drivablity" Tech at work told me that his buddy has an Acura and had the intake all the way on the floor and like he caused the engine to Hydrolize, or um. Damn i forgot. But all in all it completely messed up the engine. ha ha... so im not chancing it. ITs strang though b/c since i relocated the filter, the engine runs rough. I dont know.
                      Eddie
                      2000 M6 Trans Am
                      Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

At my age, and situation regarding money, Im lucky I even have this car. I was driving a 200 dollar Excel in order to get around. So I have to work with what I got. I dont have the luxury of Wealth. So as for the time being, you should be a "tad" bit more open minded. (with all do respect)

aight dude im 19 and got a 1998 ss and work 2 jobs to have it and i bought it when i was 17 so dont give me crap to be open minded if you want a f body just put your mind to it and work for it instead of haveing a freakin excel or honda......theirs no replacement for displacement

Comment

Working...
                        X