Optispark dying...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Optispark dying...

Well, I am pretty convinced it is the optispark again. Car has a bad case of the shakes, and you can hear/feel what I believe to be a miss. When I step on the gas it goes, but all of a sudden, it instantly bogs. When it bogs, it is like the engine just shuts off for about a half second, then comes back up. It happens at random rpm's, so I don't think it is the TPS sensor. It seems too long of a pause for it to be 1 bad wire/plug. I scanned the PCM, and got no trouble codes for the opti.

Last year when I replaced the opti, I scanned it and there were no trouble codes either. The cap and rotor section was pretty bad, but the optical section was clean. The cap was scored pretty deep from the rotor turning, and looked like it might not make contact. The rotor was rusted, and chipped.

Anybody know where I can pick up a cap & rotor set? What about optispark? I gotta get this done sat/sun, so I don't have time to order one from Jason Cromer. I just need to get by for a few months, going to save up for the LTCC or DELTEQ.
    1995 Firebird Formula
    (A4 3.23)Ram Air w/ K&N, TransGo Shift Kit w/3 washers ,SLP~Shorty headers, LoudMouth, Air Foil, LineLocks. Catco Cat. Hypertech 160. TB Bypass. MSD~8.5mm. Walbro 255lph. FT MAF ends. LT4KM. BMR~Adj LCA's, Rear sway, Panhard rod. HAL QA1 rear shocks. Random Tech adj TQ arm. Nitto NT555R's. Covered in Zaino. 13.466@103.85 N/A. [1.948 60' 13.410 @ 102.66 11/20/05]

By the time you add up the cost of the cap and rotor at the local auto parts store, for a couple of bucks more you would have a complete plug and play Delco opti from Jason. But if you're in a pinch, most local shops can have it for you by the next day.

Comment

Just to clarify, there are no Opti related codes when it comes to any of the high voltage stuff, except possible a downstream DTC 42 for the ICM, and related parts. The Opti only sets codes for problems in the optical sensor.

If you find the current cap/rotor exhibits a problem similar to the previous failure, you might look for some mechanical misalignment in the drive system from the nose of the camshaft. I looked immediately to see if you had a new cam installed, but found . Problems with the dowel pin length will destroy numerous Optis before people realize what the problem is.
      Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Working...
      X