No announcement yet.

First Mods?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

don't jump on the first thing you see just because it's there. I've made the same mistake. Thoroughly reserach what you want, and then wait for it. I know you badly want an f-body, but experience is talking when I say you'll be far happier in the future if you wait for the exact car you want... color, tranny, t-tops, mileage, etc... it's out there, you just have to find it. In the mean time, keep saving, then you can always afford something a little better. You should be able to pick up a low mileage (under 50,000) 96 or 97 TA, 6 speed, t-tops and in great condition for under $10,000. That's only $200/month over a 5 year loan. I picked up my 97 WS6 (auto, t-tops) with only 36,000 miles on it in February for $11,250.
    Dave M
    Life, liberty, and the pursuit of all who threaten it!

Comment

Color doesn't matter, as long as it isn't white, i don't care and even then, white firebirds still look good. I just went out for a cruise with my dad and i saw a red formula (93- 97) sitting in a parking lot and it looked damn good. The only thing is the t top situation. I actually can't tell whether i like them or not. They're nice as far as letting in a breeze but they're so damn loud that i can't hear my death metal cranking I've also heard that they leak and have weaker frames so i have my doubts about them. Then again, i have an obsession with the sky so it's nice to be able to look up and see that rather than a headliner. I have a Trans Am for me so it's hard to resist it. Leather seats (which i really don't care about), premium sound system, 6 speed (a necessity, everything around here is auto), THERE WERE CONTROLS FOR THE STERO ON THE FREAKIN' STEERING WHEEL!!!!! That would be perfect for me- clutch in, shift, make music louder, back on the gas all without taking my hands off the.....well, my left hand off the steering wheel and my right hand on the shifter.
      Red 95 Trans Am: M6, Moroso CAI, Magnaflow, Spohn sway bars, back to life as of 2/15/10!!!
      SOLD- Kinda miss it
      94 Del Sol VTEC: 27 city/ 33 highway, knee deep in slowness
      SOLD- Good riddance!
      2006 Ford Fusion: 2.3, 5 speed, could run 15lbs of boost with a 150 shot and it'd still be slow

Comment

I love my t-tops! They don't leak unless I hit them just right with a strong spray of water when I'm washing, and even then it's only a few drops. Never had any problem in the rain... course I don't drive it in the rain..... Chassis flex is greater with t-tops, but most normal people wouldn't be able to tell the difference. If you're really into handling and want the best out of the car, get a set of subframe connectors. really stiffens things up and eliminates ratlles and squeaks.
        Dave M
        Life, liberty, and the pursuit of all who threaten it!

Comment

Look for a good deal

Everyone has an opinion on what they like and don't like. If money isn't a problem, you can get what you want...it's out there somewhere. If money is a problem, then get a car with as low mileage as possible for your money.

My baby is a WHITE (too many black cars out there, white looks awesomely clean when washed and waxed!) '95 TA. Had it for about 1.5 years. Bought it with only 55k on the odometer. Runs great (although I had to put cat back on to pass emissions!) and I get all kinds of comments and stares. With only about $300 invested in a cat back system(sounds great) and K&N style air intake, I can take all Mustang GTs. Now I'm putting some money into wheels, stereo and considering a turbo. That extra 100 hp should put me ahead of all stock LS1s and perhaps let me run with the SVT Cobras! Good luck.
          '95 Tran Am convertible. Custom hood, interior, polished Eagle wheels. Engine mods: K&N style filter, (coming soon): headers, 1.6 roller rockers, LT4 hotcam & springs, 3000 stall converter, PC tune. Goal: leave all cocky 'Stangs in my dust at stoplights!

Comment

Thank you. From what i hear, there's a kit to install T Tops on your car. If i ever really wanted t tops badly, i could just have them installed. I've been looking all over and people are out of their #@%&ing minds when it comes to pricing these things. There's a 94 Formula for sale with 90,000 miles on it and the guy wants $7,000. I'm probably getting a Trans am with 66,000 miles on it from a dealer for $7,500 (it's red which is acceptable though i'd prefer black). There was another guy selling one with 100,000 miles on his Trans Am for around $9,000.
            Red 95 Trans Am: M6, Moroso CAI, Magnaflow, Spohn sway bars, back to life as of 2/15/10!!!
            SOLD- Kinda miss it
            SOLD- Good riddance!
            2006 Ford Fusion: 2.3, 5 speed, could run 15lbs of boost with a 150 shot and it'd still be slow

Comment

Again - if you want T-tops buy one with T-tops. Converting it to a t-top car is not as easy as you might think. I considered the transformation on my 94 Formula 6-speed - I loved everything about it except it did not have t-tops. After a lot of research I sold it and got a Z28 convertible. The Z28 was an auto - that wore on me so I considered changing it to a 6 speed - again not as easy as you may think. So I sold that and got what I really wanted all along - 6 speed with t-tops. Learn from my mistakes (though I loved each one of the cars) and get what you really want. You will find a low mileage LT1, 6 speed, with t-tops in your price range if you keep looking.
              Silver 02 WS-6, 6 speed, Corsa cat-back, SLP lid, K&N filter, BMR STB, !CAGs, Lou's short stick, MSD wires, MTI "Hammer" cam, ASP underdrive pulley, Hooker LTs, Hooker ORY, Comp 918s, TR pushrods, UMI Sfcs, UMI LCAs, NGK TR55s, Hotchkis springs

Dyno'd 4/24: 330.9 RWHP/ 344.8 RWTQ (Before cam, headers, and pulley)

Dyno'd 5/1: 383.5 RWHP / 380.5 RWTQ (393 actual RWHP)

Comment

Well, the plans have changed yet again. Right from the start, my mom and stepdad supported the idea of me taking out a loan. I'd be putting $4,000 down so i'd have around $5,000 to pay off. That would make sense. Apparently they thought that i was going to take out a loan for $500 or something (at least that's what i'm getting from their senseless rambling). They're getting angry because they don't think i could pay a loan off yet they're the ones who told me i should take out a loan in the first place. This is just proof that parents rarely make sense and/or know what they're talking about.
                SOLD- Kinda miss it
                SOLD- Good riddance!

Comment

Working...
                X