timing chain

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rufrider76
    okay sothey must have gave me a 95 timing set. okay so where do i get a good roller set FAST
    If you are running the stock 94 opti, you must use a cam gear that has the splines in the middle as Fred said. You have very few options from the stock gear. I don't know of anyone that makes a roller with the splined cam gear. There are a couple high performance sets (like from Doug Rippie) but just the cam gear is $370 (and it's still not a roller chain). I think Lunati might have one, but it is much like stock and I have heard of a few failures with it.

You are pretty much stuck with a stock type timing set, unless you do a vented opti conversion.
    Rob B 95Z A4 Tech Page (Part numbers / locations, how to's, schematics, DTC's...) Home Page - shbox.com

Comment

Originally posted by rufrider76
      okay sothey must have gave me a 95 timing set. okay so where do i get a good roller set FAST
      http://www.cmotorsports.com/93-97-fb...ine-timingsets

Go with the Cloyes. It is a quality set and it is cheap.

Comment

there is 2 diffrent timing set for the lt1. one is from 93-94. it is diffrent in the cam sprocket itself drives the optispark shaft. then you have 94-97 or gen II lt1 where the pin on the cam shaft drives a separate gear that drives the optispark. i did find 2 aftermarket cam sprockets for the 93 and 94 but they where over 400.00 dollar each. so a timing set that says it will fit 93-97 is not correct. the lt4 is gen II lt1 and the same as 95-97. At this point i could have swapped out almost. i replaced everything ecepet the cam at this point.
        1994 Trans Am GT
        http://www.sounddomain.com/memberpage/208684/1
        Ram Air hood and airbox
        headers
        exhaust
        lowered 2"
        underdrive pully
        sloted rotors
        electric water pump
        air foil
        denso plugs
        taylor wires
        tinted windows
        eagle rims
        2000 watt stereo

Comment

Originally posted by fastTA
          http://www.cmotorsports.com/93-97-fb...ine-timingsets

Go with the Cloyes. It is a quality set and it is cheap.
          The Cloyes has no splined drive cam gear. He will still have the same problem.
          Rob B 95Z A4 Tech Page (Part numbers / locations, how to's, schematics, DTC's...) Home Page - shbox.com

Comment

Originally posted by Rob B (shoebox)

You are pretty much stuck with a stock type timing set, unless you do a vented opti conversion.
            And that's the whole ballgame right there.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob B (shoebox)
              The Cloyes has no splined drive cam gear. He will still have the same problem.
              I was assuming he was going to go ahead and do the complete conversion. It would be significnatly beneficial to him if he has the means to do so.

Comment

Working...
              X