double clutching

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• double clutching

A few weeks ago an older guy at work told me "Now don't go double clutching with that new clutch...you will ruin it". Now this guy has been around fast cars for sometime (hes like 55 years old). I always thought double clutching was something old trucks did to disengage the clutchand rengage it properly. I thought fast and furious just brought that phrase back (becuase they are really stupid and do not know much about cars). I am I wrong? What is double clutching?
    2001 Black WS6 6-spd, 47k. stock...I think.

Originally posted by stingant0
    A few weeks ago an older guy at work told me "Now don't go double clutching with that new clutch...you will ruin it". Now this guy has been around fast cars for sometime (hes like 55 years old). I always thought double clutching was something old trucks did to disengage the clutchand rengage it properly. I thought fast and furious just brought that phrase back (becuase they are really stupid and do not know much about cars). I am I wrong? What is double clutching?
    You're right on the money on all counts. Vin Diesel (not his real name) is a Hollywood sellout, not a car guy. "You were granny shifting when you shoulda been doubleclutching..." Yeah Vin...We know. Look at it this way, it confuses all the ricers

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin - Blown 95 TA
      Vin Diesel (not his real name)

Vin Unleaded didn't have the same ring to it...I hate what that movie brought to pop-culture and wish it had never come out.
      -Rico

Click here to visit my CarDomain page!

01 Camaro Convertable, A4, White, Audiobahn 12" subs and amp 800W/RMS,Xenon
      98 TA/WS6, M6, All options,stock with minor mods, stealth JL Audio-Sold
      98 Camaro, V6, A4, Silver, Xenon Body kit, white guages, MTX system, custom interior SOLD
      94 Camaro, 3.4L, M5, Quasar Blue, SOLD

Comment

http://www.driversedge.com/dblcltch.htm

I was confused too...when I saw the movie, they went straight...but double clutching deals with cornering...

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
        Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
        B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
        Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
        Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

Double clutching is shifting the gears without the clutch where you pull the shifter out of gear as the RPMs decend after the peak and place it into gear on the same stroke...sometimes, depending on how good you are, you have to tap the accelerator slightly to get the second RPM decend to get back into gear. You really don't need a clutch except to get the vehicle moving. Pretty much all truck drivers drive this way. My brother-in-law drives his big utility trucks this way, and I drive my Blazer this way. I don't know much about the lines in the "Stupid and the reckless", but this is what the pharse referes to.

I wouldn't drive my T/A this way...too great a possiblility for error especially if your ripping through gears...start breaking stuff. I just rock my clutch as I go through the gears...same effect. If you watch the good road racers, they rarely use their clutch, but then again...they can afford to break their equipment.
          '77 K5 rock-crawler project
          '79 T/A: WS6, 400 4sp, 40K miles; Completely stock and original
          '87 Lifted 3/4 ton Suburban (Big Blue) plow truck
          '94 Roadmaster Wagon (The Roadmonster) 200,000 miles and still going
          '97 T/A: (SLP 1LE Suspension, SB, & sfc(s), Loudmouth); 4.10s; B&M Ripper; R/A Hood; ZR1s
          My daily drivers: '06 Jeep Liberty CRD (wife); '01 Yukon Denali XL (me); '03 Stratus Coupe (me)

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
          Thomas Jefferson

Comment

so the quote goes... Granny shifting, not double clutching like you should.... and so on. I for one loved the movie. Yea i knew he was wrong there and i know hes not a car guy, but he also didnt write the script some dumb@$$ hollywood writer did. And that guy is obviously a ricer who knows nothing about cars. Especially when Ja Rule looks under the hood and can tell that "Hes got enough NOS in there to blow his self up" lol.
            -ken-
            oh and i thought in the older days the double clutched meaning - clutch in, take it out of gear, clutch out then back in to put it in gear? i thought this is what syncros took the place of.
            ~~~The Twisted One~~~

My 30th is gone but soon a new era will begin.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken(Bone Breakin Chevy)
              oh and i thought in the older days the double clutched meaning - clutch in, take it out of gear, clutch out then back in to put it in gear? i thought this is what syncros took the place of.
              Right again. I can shift w/o a clutch on a manual trans, but I don't double clutch it. Just blip the gas off while matching rpms and shift into the next higher gear at the instant the drivetrain is unloaded. Harder to do going down a gear.

I took a riding school for sportbikes - Team Hammer Suzuki Endurance - we did drills where we would go up through all 6 gears and back down again over and over again. You learn the sound of the engine in all the gears and know when to shift. In racing, you lose time if you throw out the clutch every time you shift. We just put slight pressure on the shifter, blip the gas, match rpms (more important on downshift), and shift. The gears are backcut on the bikes which means that you don't hurt them when you shift this way. Takes a little practice with a car, but it's the same principle.

Comment

Originally posted by LimTeng99TransAm
                http://www.driversedge.com/dblcltch.htm

I was confused too...when I saw the movie, they went straight...but double clutching deals with cornering...
                Nope... "heel-toe" shifting deals with cornering
                Former Ride: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 345 rwhp, 360 rwtq... stock internally.

Current Ride: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT Limited - spec.B #312 of 500

Comment

Originally posted by markd79ta
                  Double clutching is shifting the gears without the clutch where you pull the shifter out of gear as the RPMs decend after the peak and place it into gear on the same stroke...sometimes, depending on how good you are, you have to tap the accelerator slightly to get the second RPM decend to get back into gear. You really don't need a clutch except to get the vehicle moving. Pretty much all truck drivers drive this way. My brother-in-law drives his big utility trucks this way, and I drive my Blazer this way. I don't know much about the lines in the "Stupid and the reckless", but this is what the pharse referes to.

I wouldn't drive my T/A this way...too great a possiblility for error especially if your ripping through gears...start breaking stuff. I just rock my clutch as I go through the gears...same effect. If you watch the good road racers, they rarely use their clutch, but then again...they can afford to break their equipment.
                  Not really. Double clutching actually uses the clutch. Hence the name "double clutching".

Here is a good explanation:
                  http://auto.howstuffworks.com/transmission4.htm

Comment

double clutching

Double Clutching is when you're in a gear like 3rd and you're doin about 30 or 35 something slow and then you push in the clutch rev the car while the clutch in not to long and dump it. It will make the car launch much quicker.

94_Formula

Comment

Double clutching was something that was done in cars that were made pre-70's. Their transmissions did not have sysnchros at all so they had to actually push in the clutch twice to shift. It is not done in all of our modern transmissions. Some, but very few heavy duty machinery transmissions that use straight cut gears and no synchros still use this process. The term "double clutching" is commonly used wrong by alot of people.

Quote from howstuffworks.com:

"In double-clutching, you first push the clutch pedal in once to disengage the engine from the transmission. This takes the pressure off the dog teeth so you can move the collar into neutral. Then you release the clutch pedal and rev the engine to the "right speed." The right speed is the rpm value at which the engine should be running in the next gear. The idea is to get the blue gear of the next gear and the collar rotating at the same speed so that the dog teeth can engage. Then you push the clutch pedal in again and lock the collar into the new gear. At every gear change you have to press and release the clutch twice, hence the name "double-clutching."

Comment

Originally posted by Ken(Bone Breakin Chevy)
                        As an officially certified "older guy", you are correct. That's what we did.... clutch in to move it into neutral, clutch out - blip the throttle to match the speed of the next gear, clutch in and move it to the next gear. This was necessary on trannies without synchronizer rings, or you would grind the crap out of the gears.

I learned how to drive on my dad's 1941 Ford pickup, with a 3-speed no-synchro manual box, and a 2-1/2 foot tall lever sticking up out of the floor.
                        Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Working...
                        X