Is this normal?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this normal?

Alright, so i'm driving out to my girlfriends house which is about 30 miles away. I get on the parkway and shift it into 5th. Everything is nice and smooth but i want that extra gas mileage so i go to 6th. Shortly after that, the Service Engine Soon light came on. The car wasn't bogging down or anything. As i got closer to her exit, i dropped it into 5th and the light went off instantly. Same thing on the way back. In 5th, i was doing 60 and it was at around 2,000 RPM's. When i did 60 in 6th gear, it ran at around 1400 RPM's. Thanks in advance for any help.
    Red 95 Trans Am: M6, Moroso CAI, Magnaflow, Spohn sway bars, back to life as of 2/15/10!!!
    SOLD- Kinda miss it
    94 Del Sol VTEC: 27 city/ 33 highway, knee deep in slowness
    SOLD- Good riddance!
    2006 Ford Fusion: 2.3, 5 speed, could run 15lbs of boost with a 150 shot and it'd still be slow

Get it scanned.... the code is stored in the PCM, and will remain there for a while. If I had to guess, I would say you will find DTC 32 for the EGR system. It's fairly rare on the OBD-I cars, but it can happen under moderate load/low rpm conditions, when the EGR is required to reduce the combustion chamber temperatures, and reduce NOx emissions.

JUst remember, your 95 is an OBD-I PCM, but the ALDL connector is the 16-pin OBD-II style, which confuses most shops, when they hook up an OBD-II scanner, and it won't work.
    Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

fred, is there anything you don't know?
      Dave M
      Life, liberty, and the pursuit of all who threaten it!

Comment

You know Ive only been here a while and I dont think there isnt too much Fred doesnt know! Sure helps out alot though.

97 ws6 6sp 40k miles 355 cubes strange s 60 rear 373 gears. other stuff! 360rwhp

current
        2006 GMC Denali 6.0 AWD!!!! hers

Comment

Originally posted by Dave M
          fred, is there anything you don't know?
          There's lots I don't know ..... I just don't even try and answer those questions. Part of "looking" smart is knowing when to keep your mouth shut. A lot of the answers I post are just recycled info from posts I've made over the late 6 years on these boards. A lot of these questions get posted every few months....
          Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Originally posted by Injuneer
            Part of "looking" smart is knowing when to keep your mouth shut.
            That's probably the best advice you've ever given!!
            Dave M
            Life, liberty, and the pursuit of all who threaten it!

Comment

Working...
            X