X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fastTA
    The only street legal 9 sec car???????

What do you mean?
    9 sec. 1/4 mile. I read an ariticle somewhere that stated that the hennesey venom 800(twin turbo Viper) was the only streetable, 9 sec, car out there. I'm guessin that means emisions and safety features and what not. I believe it was like 9.8 or so in the 1/4. If i can find the article again i will clarify, its a pretty old article.
    2006 Saturn Ion Redline
    2003 Mits. Eclipse Spyder

Comment

Read Hot rod mags issue on the Pump Gas Drags a few 9 sec street cars in there.

Comment

street legal cars in the 9s are pretty common.

Comment

Just here in South TX there are several street legal 7 sec mustangs. We are talking power windows, full stock interior and everything.

MTI in Houston has built dozens of street legal f-bodies and y-bodies that are running 9's. Air conditioning and all.

Here is an old video of one of MTI's first C5's in the 9's. This is a full weight, air-conditioned, street legal vette. He has since upped the n20 jets to around 240 from what I last heard and running 9.5's:

http://www.movie-host.net/index.php?...92ZXR0ZS5tcGVn

Right Click > Save Target As

Comment

Here is another pretty fast street legal 8 sec C5 Corvette built by Lingenfelter. Poor quality video though.

http://www.movie-host.net/store/lpe_8sec_vette.mov

Comment

I'm just goin by what I read. And its been a while since i read it, so i could of misquoted it. When ever I do find it again I'll see what they said word for word.
              2006 Saturn Ion Redline
              2003 Mits. Eclipse Spyder

Comment

I've been checking out cars that are turbo and twin turbo lately and i can't seem to find many differences other than one has two turbo's while the other has one. The single turbo ones that i checked out (Eclipse's, Starion's, etc) usually push out 8-9 PSI while the Stealth/3000 GT was twin turbo and had something like 14lbs of boost. Is it worth it to add another turbo charger for only a 5 lb difference in boost? There are cars out there that run 20+ lbs of boost with one turbo. Why bother adding a second? Another thing i'm confused about is- How do people upgrade their turbo chargers without getting different turbos? I know a kid with a 97 Eclipse that just spent all of his money on the car so it's not like he has a spare $3,000 laying around. He has an upgraded turbocharger though. He also has a blow off valve and a full exhaust system and claims to have 290 horsepower which i don't believe.
                Red 95 Trans Am: M6, Moroso CAI, Magnaflow, Spohn sway bars, back to life as of 2/15/10!!!
                SOLD- Kinda miss it
                94 Del Sol VTEC: 27 city/ 33 highway, knee deep in slowness
                SOLD- Good riddance!
                2006 Ford Fusion: 2.3, 5 speed, could run 15lbs of boost with a 150 shot and it'd still be slow

Comment

i'm not turbo genius...but the reason for biturbos are because of the two banks of the engine. You can't just boost one bank and leave the other naked.

Now...you'd say "how about a Supra or Skyline, they are inline 6's with twins...??" I'd say, because they are sixes you can feed both turbo 3 header tubes...

I guess 4's work best with all header tubes running only one turbo...EVO's run like 14psi off of one turbo...STi's run like 19 I believe...you adjust boost pressure.

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
                  Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
                  B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
                  Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
                  Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

Originally posted by Nightrage
                    He also has a blow off valve and a full exhaust system and claims to have 290 horsepower which i don't believe.
                    depends...Eclipse GST/GSX have 220bhp stock...if you dial up the boost with a controller...290 isn't hard to see with other mods. I hope he strenghen his bottom end...or he;ll be like that Eclipse in the M3 video.

Christopher Teng

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

Originally posted by LimTeng99TransAm
                      i'm not turbo genius...but the reason for biturbos are because of the two banks of the engine. You can't just boost one bank and leave the other naked.

Now...you'd say "how about a Supra or Skyline, they are inline 6's with twins...??" I'd say, because they are sixes you can feed both turbo 3 header tubes...

I guess 4's work best with all header tubes running only one turbo...EVO's run like 14psi off of one turbo...STi's run like 19 I believe...you adjust boost pressure.
                      You can run a single turbo on a motor with 2 cylinder banks. Look at the old 301T trans am. You just put the turbo in the y-pipe.

The reason you run more than 1 turbo is to minimize the rotating mass of each one allowing them to spool up faster.
                      Tracy
                      2002 C5 M6 Convertible
                      1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
                      Current Mods:
                      SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Originally posted by TraceZ
                        You can run a single turbo on a motor with 2 cylinder banks. Look at the old 301T trans am. You just put the turbo in the y-pipe.

The reason you run more than 1 turbo is to minimize the rotating mass of each one allowing them to spool up faster.
                        Yep, you can add one huge turbo that spools high in the RPM range, but delivers one heck of a kick when it does or you can put two smaller turbos that spool faster. It just depends on what you are trying to achieve.
                        '77 K5 rock-crawler project
                        '79 T/A: WS6, 400 4sp, 40K miles; Completely stock and original
                        '87 Lifted 3/4 ton Suburban (Big Blue) plow truck
                        '94 Roadmaster Wagon (The Roadmonster) 200,000 miles and still going
                        '97 T/A: (SLP 1LE Suspension, SB, & sfc(s), Loudmouth); 4.10s; B&M Ripper; R/A Hood; ZR1s
                        My daily drivers: '06 Jeep Liberty CRD (wife); '01 Yukon Denali XL (me); '03 Stratus Coupe (me)

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
                        Thomas Jefferson

Comment

i knew that...GNX, TTA single turbos don't they?...

Christopher Teng

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

Originally posted by LimTeng99TransAm
                            i knew that...GNX, TTA single turbos don't they?...
                            Yup... GN, GNX, TTA... all 1 turbo.
                            Tracy
                            2002 C5 M6 Convertible
                            1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
                            Current Mods:
                            SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

I found a turbo kit for an LT1- $4,500
                              Red 95 Trans Am: M6, Moroso CAI, Magnaflow, Spohn sway bars, back to life as of 2/15/10!!!
                              SOLD- Kinda miss it
                              94 Del Sol VTEC: 27 city/ 33 highway, knee deep in slowness
                              SOLD- Good riddance!
                              2006 Ford Fusion: 2.3, 5 speed, could run 15lbs of boost with a 150 shot and it'd still be slow

Comment

Working...
                              X