T-56 conversion into a 1967 Camaro

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• T-56 conversion into a 1967 Camaro

Hey People I'm new here, and i need some help, I've been looking eveywhere for a t-56 conversion to stick in my 1967 Camaro. Right now it sports a factory M-21 muncie 4-speed and it's never been touched but its getting worn out and doesnt shift like it used to, and i can understand that and i thought it would be awsome 2 put in a t56 because with the 4:10's in the rear my highway gas milage sucks and im cruising at about 4,000 rpm's doing 75-80 mph when ever im on the highway.So I've heard about bell housing company's make that a t56 can bolt up to and run on other chevy blocks not just the Ls-1's or Lt-1's but I havent seen anything like that anywhere?? HELP!!!. Well I would appreciate any help you can give me.
    1967 Camaro "Project"
    1972 Chevelle "454"
    1979 Trans Am "Project Ls-1"

McLeod makes a "universal" bell-housing to adapt most T56's to most existing blocks.

http://www.mcleodind.com/

There is also an outfit called Keisler, and their products have been featured in two recent issues of Chevy High Performance:

http://www.keislerauto.com/
    Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Originally posted by RocKin1967
      Hey People I'm new here, and i need some help, I've been looking eveywhere for a t-56 conversion to stick in my 1967 Camaro. Right now it sports a factory M-21 muncie 4-speed and it's never been touched but its getting worn out and doesnt shift like it used to, and i can understand that and i thought it would be awsome 2 put in a t56 because with the 4:10's in the rear my highway gas milage sucks and im cruising at about 4,000 rpm's doing 75-80 mph when ever im on the highway.So I've heard about bell housing company's make that a t56 can bolt up to and run on other chevy blocks not just the Ls-1's or Lt-1's but I havent seen anything like that anywhere?? HELP!!!. Well I would appreciate any help you can give me.
      Why not just use one from a LT1?? isnt the bolt pattern on a LT1 the same as gen1 SBC?
      Tracy
      2002 C5 M6 Convertible
      1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
      Current Mods:
      SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Originally posted by TraceZ
        Why not just use one from a LT1?? isnt the bolt pattern on a LT1 the same as gen1 SBC?
        I was going to say the same thing but I'm not 100% sure. I think I read that somewhere.
        2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

As far as I know its the same to 97, but I do know there is some differences after that, not sure if it is the bell housing or not but I know for my 89 (gen 1 block) it is a direct repacement upto 97, then you need some special kits to put it in. I think this is mostly due to the new clutch system and the trany is longer after that, which may not be a factor for 67'

Eric W.

89 Firebird Formula WS6
          Accel/Lingenfelter Super Ram
          6.2L/382.97 ci
          Custom PROM Dyno tuned
          WCT-5 speed
          BW 9-bolt Posi 3.45
          Boss MS 18" Rims
          Headman Headers 1 5/8 Ceramic Coated
          Custom Dual exhaust
          1LE upgrade
          Custom Temperature / Navigation Rear View Mirror
          In a constant state of upgrade!

Comment

Originally posted by DeWynter
            As far as I know its the same to 97, but I do know there is some differences after that, not sure if it is the bell housing or not but I know for my 89 (gen 1 block) it is a direct repacement upto 97, then you need some special kits to put it in. I think this is mostly due to the new clutch system and the trany is longer after that, which may not be a factor for 67'
            correct.. 1n 1998 came the GEN3 LS1, which is a completely different motor. SO, up to 97, the GEN1 and GEN2 SBC shared the same bolt pattern. In fact, they Are essentially the same motor, with monor changes.

I'd bet it would fit... Can Anyone confirm this?
            Tracy
            2002 C5 M6 Convertible
            1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
            Current Mods:
            SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Working...
            X