steering column ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• steering column ?

Does a automatic tranny with cruise control on the column the same as a manual tranny without cruise the same column, if not will it work? the plugs look the same to me so anyhelp please respond thank you

I would say they are the same except for the cruise control

Eric W.

89 Firebird Formula WS6
    Accel/Lingenfelter Super Ram
    6.2L/382.97 ci
    Custom PROM Dyno tuned
    WCT-5 speed
    BW 9-bolt Posi 3.45
    Boss MS 18" Rims
    Headman Headers 1 5/8 Ceramic Coated
    Custom Dual exhaust
    1LE upgrade
    Custom Temperature / Navigation Rear View Mirror
    In a constant state of upgrade!

Comment

Originally posted by ChampionN84
      Does a automatic tranny with cruise control on the column the same as a manual tranny without cruise the same column, if not will it work? the plugs look the same to me so anyhelp please respond thank you
      You will have to give some detail as to make, model, and year before anyone can possibly answer that question.
      2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

sorry I was assuming same year of the columns. There really is no difference between standard and auto steering columns of the same year, as all camaros and firebirds have console auto or standard. No shifting stuff in the column like in most trucks. Also many years are interchangeable.

Eric W.

89 Firebird Formula WS6
        Accel/Lingenfelter Super Ram
        6.2L/382.97 ci
        Custom PROM Dyno tuned
        WCT-5 speed
        BW 9-bolt Posi 3.45
        Boss MS 18" Rims
        Headman Headers 1 5/8 Ceramic Coated
        Custom Dual exhaust
        1LE upgrade
        Custom Temperature / Navigation Rear View Mirror
        In a constant state of upgrade!

Comment

Originally posted by DeWynter
          sorry I was assuming same year of the columns. There really is no difference between standard and auto steering columns of the same year, as all camaros and firebirds have console auto or standard. No shifting stuff in the column like in most trucks.
          Could you get a column shifter on a 67?
          2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

???????

the car that it is coming from is a 84 chevy camaro with cruise and auto tranny the car it is going into is a 85 camaro without cruise and a manual tranny

Comment

the car that it is coming from is a 84 chevy camaro with cruise and auto tranny the car it is going into is a 85 camaro without cruise and a manual tranny
              The cruise control is not a issue. The "stalk" for the blinkers etc just pulls strait out. Simply put in the stalk with the cruise buttons and run the wire down the column to plug it into the cruise harness.

Auto trans cars have an interlock cable running to the floor shifter so you cannot put it in gear with the ignition locked. Manual cars have no such cable, so you will not use it.

Manual cars have a thumb button on the lock cylinder to turn the key to the "lock" position. If your column is from an auto, you will be missing this button. I suppose you could replace the lock cylinder with one for a manual if it is a big deal to you.

I'm thinking your two columns should switch fine. It's worth a try at least.
              Tracy
              2002 C5 M6 Convertible
              1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
              Current Mods:
              SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

IT WORKED!!

The columns switched fine i just had to take that cable lock out thing off of the auto column and replace it with the one from the manual column thanks for the tips!!!

Comment

The columns switched fine i just had to take that cable lock out thing off of the auto column and replace it with the one from the manual column thanks for the tips!!!
                  I'm glad it worked! enjoy.
                  Tracy
                  2002 C5 M6 Convertible
                  1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
                  Current Mods:
                  SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Working...
                  X