just broke a tranny mount

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• just broke a tranny mount

Just broke the tranny mount in the Z for the first time. i always hate it when you hear the tranny slapping the floor when accelerating. o well, i just ordered a poly one from summit. if this one brakes, i am going with solid everything. just thought i would share my latest event with you.
    2000 WS6 T/A M6. Monster stage 3 clutch, flowmaster cat back, 4.10's, SLP lid, Hurst shifter.
    1996 Mustang GT 5 speed STOCK DD
    past rides:
    1996 Mustang GTS bright tangerine orange
    2003 Mach 1 azure blue drag car (10.90@118 record holder for fastest N/A mach)
    1969 Mach 1 house of colors candy apple red393 stroker 100 shot (10.829@125 in street trim)
    2003 Mach 1 Torched red FRPP aluminator/vortech 666RWHP
    2008 Mustang GT JDM stroker long block, Saleen 2.3 twin screw
    1980 Mustang L 13.7: 418 stroker
    1994 Z28 A4 rebuilt from wreck
    1994 Z28 A4 totaled

went throught two sets in my old GTA...just for my TA to rip right through the OEMs on it now.

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
    Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
    B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
    Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
    Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

My 94 Z28 A4 broke two stock trans mounts .... has urethane now.

My 00 WS6 was A4 swapped to M6 .... never broke the stock mount during street or road racing, but was swapped to urethane when M6 went in. Been in for 35,000 miles of street, raod race and just a few drags.

Gordon

Gordon Arnold - '00 WS6 T/A - Sold

Comment

any problems with vibrations? mine seems to vibrate but its hard to tell, seeing as when the mount borke it also broke the pipe just after the cat......
        2000 WS6 T/A M6. Monster stage 3 clutch, flowmaster cat back, 4.10's, SLP lid, Hurst shifter.
        1996 Mustang GT 5 speed STOCK DD
        past rides:
        1996 Mustang GTS bright tangerine orange
        2003 Mach 1 azure blue drag car (10.90@118 record holder for fastest N/A mach)
        1969 Mach 1 house of colors candy apple red393 stroker 100 shot (10.829@125 in street trim)
        2003 Mach 1 Torched red FRPP aluminator/vortech 666RWHP
        2008 Mustang GT JDM stroker long block, Saleen 2.3 twin screw
        1980 Mustang L 13.7: 418 stroker
        1994 Z28 A4 rebuilt from wreck
        1994 Z28 A4 totaled

Comment

Originally posted by azkkn
          any problems with vibrations? mine seems to vibrate but its hard to tell, seeing as when the mount borke it also broke the pipe just after the cat......
          Bigtime!!!
          2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

I am currently on my 3rd tranny mount. I stepped up to a urethane one and no probs so far. Not a prob untill I installed a shift kit.
            97 SS #C007
            Polo Green w/ tan leather A4
            SLP headers, Loudmouth, Koni SA, Spohn LCA, Spohn PHR, Spohn relo brackets, pro-kit, B&M Stage II Shift Kit, air foil, 160 therm, LT4 KM, BFG KDW

Comment

Mine is actually broke on my '86 V6... Same thing happened on my '84. Will the bouncin around actually mess up the rear main seal? I thought tranny fluid was leakin but when i got her up on the rack i noticed that it was oil and not tranny fluid. I got the new mount and plan on doin it friday morning after work. Could anyone tell me if this prob could cause the rear main seal to leak and how much of PIA it is to change it?

Im kinda surprised to see how bad my V6 tore it up... Makes me proud in a sick way ... I hope it doesnt chew up too much oil on my drive home on leave... Its only 8 hours but that could still cause a prob if im not careful. No racin on the interstate at 3 in the mornin

Later gents!!!
              86 Firebird, Just a lowly 6 banger, sold
              Plans for an '02 WS6 are in the mix for 2008 (after I'm out of the army)

Comment

A4's seem to have more vibrations than M6's. I have a Prothane mount on mine and I love it. No vibes and the shifter does no move.
                Kbddsfc,B&M Ripper,Ws6 Rims,Hotchkiss Stb,Bmr Lca,Gwphr,Strange 4:10's,LPEds,Borla,AS&M Headers,RT cat,Powerslot rotors,Hawk Pads R/Pf pads Fr,Mba shift knob,Slp Hood&Airbox,Holley Powershot filter,Fernco mod, Lt4km,Firebat decals,T/A Girdle,HPP.160stat,Bilstein shocks,Z06 Brakes,AFS ZR1's,GSD3's.

Comment

Vibration.......
                  Yes.
                  I actually forgot... I did install my urethane mount on the WS6 while it was still an A4. The OEM mount was not broken, just wanted to add extra stiffness in the driveline. Immediately, I had a lot of vibration..... feels something like a driveshaft out of ballance or a driveshaft slip-yoke that is loose in the output of the trans.

You feel the vibration through the chassis.

With the M6 in the car, the vibration is pretty much the same.

On the 94 Z28 A4, there is not as much vibration as the WS6 but it is still there.

As for your rear main seal, Beachbum, no..... the mount would not cause that to leak. You have to remove the transmission to replace the engine's rear main seal.

gordon

Comment

GG what type of mount did you use, my prothane mount simply firmed up the shifter.
                    Kbddsfc,B&M Ripper,Ws6 Rims,Hotchkiss Stb,Bmr Lca,Gwphr,Strange 4:10's,LPEds,Borla,AS&M Headers,RT cat,Powerslot rotors,Hawk Pads R/Pf pads Fr,Mba shift knob,Slp Hood&Airbox,Holley Powershot filter,Fernco mod, Lt4km,Firebat decals,T/A Girdle,HPP.160stat,Bilstein shocks,Z06 Brakes,AFS ZR1's,GSD3's.

Comment

Both of my mounts are the Energy Suspension units.

Comment

for those of you who have the urethane tranny mounts and have a lot of vibration, why don't you just go get a 3"x3" square piece of flat silicon gasket material that's about 1/4" to 3/8" thick, cut a hole in the middle of it to pass the center bolt through it, then bolt it all back together?

that way, you don't have to worry as much about the mount material itself seperating, but you also have some cushion between the mount and the k-member

i will probably do that when i swap out my tranny mount for a urethane one

Red '02 Z28 M6 - purchased 6/24/04 with 11,706 miles
                        CAGS Eliminator

Comment

i broke 3 stock ones in the bird, now i went to a poly
                          1994 firebird formula

no need to talk. i can walk the walk.

Comment

I would suggest the 1LE solid rubber mount. Stiffer than stock (which is actually hollow). They transmit less noise and vibration than the poly mounts.

Comment

Procedures for tranny mount installation.

I'm finally getting a thunking noise from the tranny area during mid-level to high acceleration starts. What are the procedures for removing and replacing a tranny mount. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                              X