NFB: Kerry's speech -- thoughts?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Dave M
    You can pray all you want. You certainly wouldn't be the first. I've wrestled with religion for most of my life due to things in my past, and I've studied most major religions, especially christianity. There are two gentlemen at work that are the most religious people I know, or have ever met. We constantly debate, not because I don't believe their position, but because I love to play devil's advocate. In reality, I don't know what is the truth because I was not there when it happened. Throughout my life I believe things based on a court-room style evidence structure. If it can be proven to me beyond a reasonable doubt, then I'm likely to accept your position as the truth. After I read "More Than a Carpenter" by Josh McDowell, I had to admit to myself that the Bible as it is written, at least as far as Jesus is concerned, is most likely true. It's an excellent book that I reccomend for those sitting on the fence. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...books&n=507846

However, because I believe, or you believe, or anyone else believes, does not give us the right to expect or force others to believe anything we believe, regardless of the issue. I consider myself very tolerant and open-minded, and I think people have the right to live their lives how they want.

Certain people on this board have said in the past that the government shouldn't tell us how to live our lives, that their is too much government involvement in daily lives, and other simliar comments. But yet those same people want everyone to abide by their christian beliefs and feel the government as a right to force them to do so. That line of thinking to me is unfathomable. i just don't get it.

You can believe all you want, but the Constitution of this country garauntees that others can believe what they want.
    I hear you. I think sometimes we take the freedom to do what I want too far. How far will we stretch our morals, how much will we keep turning our heads on things. Theres a generation of moldable children and I think they are getting a lot of mixed messages.
    Like if your in an apartment and the guy below you is blarring his subwoofer where its shaking things in your house at 1 in the morning. You ask him to turn it down and he says "its a free country I can do what I want" Grantite you can call the police and they can make him turn it down, but i'd like to point out the extremist mindset that I think the country is starting to take. Theres a line when we start making sacrifices for "freedoms". "A free man without moral guidelines in a dangerous man." Religion seemed to give us those morals 200 years ago, now we live in a perverted society where broken marriages are at an all time high, crime is on the rise, common courtesis are fading away and being replaced with this "i'm hard and have a chip on my shoulders" attitude that youth is getting from pop-culture. I know how my parents rasied me and I just think theres too many parents who are being way too passive with their children. I know i kind of veered off topic...sorry.

I'm not talkinga bout gay marrage and abortion...thats every one persons choice...What i do say is religion teaches morals and its been the bread and butter of society for so long even at the founding of this country and what I do point out is that we need to stop being so angry about religion to the point everyone is offended by it. "In God we trust" "One Nation under God" are ideals this country was founded on...we took those away and segregated it...freedom was an ideal that we founded the country on too, should we be selective where that is too?

I'd also like to point out that I was the most unchristian anti-christian person you'd know. I had all the answers and hearing about religion made me uncomfortable...God's worked a lot in my life and changed my heart. So really i see both sides of this...i'm just on the side i think is much better(again my choice not yours)...(intrestingly enough...http://www.f-body.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4992)
    -Rico

Click here to visit my CarDomain page!

01 Camaro Convertable, A4, White, Audiobahn 12" subs and amp 800W/RMS,Xenon
    98 TA/WS6, M6, All options,stock with minor mods, stealth JL Audio-Sold
    98 Camaro, V6, A4, Silver, Xenon Body kit, white guages, MTX system, custom interior SOLD
    94 Camaro, 3.4L, M5, Quasar Blue, SOLD

Comment

• Originally posted by Camaro4-2
      What i do say is religion teaches morals and its been the bread and butter of society for so long even at the founding of this country and what I do point out is that we need to stop being so angry about religion to the point everyone is offended by it.
      I don't think this will happen until the Christian community takes a softer loving approach. The hard core condemning ..."do this or else" approach is turning people off. The news is good news and it is a message of love and grace...that is being lost. The politics of today are ugly, and Christians are soiling themselves being involved in it.

The only thing that is going to help the attitude of this country is family involvement with children...every parent needs to take that responsibility by both hands and raise their children with love, responsibility, and respect for others. I really hope that God is a part of that...I really do...I think it is the only way to rebuild that mutual respect for others.
      '77 K5 rock-crawler project
      '79 T/A: WS6, 400 4sp, 40K miles; Completely stock and original
      '87 Lifted 3/4 ton Suburban (Big Blue) plow truck
      '94 Roadmaster Wagon (The Roadmonster) 200,000 miles and still going
      '97 T/A: (SLP 1LE Suspension, SB, & sfc(s), Loudmouth); 4.10s; B&M Ripper; R/A Hood; ZR1s
      My daily drivers: '06 Jeep Liberty CRD (wife); '01 Yukon Denali XL (me); '03 Stratus Coupe (me)

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
      Thomas Jefferson

Comment

• Originally posted by N20LT4Bird
        Texanmutt.......so I can assume your voting Kerry?

I enjoyed your post, good points.

You couldnt pay me a million dollars to vote for Kerry. Even if you did, after Kerry got in office, he would make laws that would take $900,000 of that million.

Comment

Your idea of a marriage is a man and a woman based on your beliefs.
          That's based on nature, not religious beliefs. When was the last time you ever saw a man getting another man pregnant, or a woman getting another women pregnant? Nature didn’t design us for same sex reproduction. Two men getting it on is just sick. Although I must say watching 2 hot chicks getting it on aint a bad thing.

Comment

• Originally posted by texanmutt
            That's based on nature, not religious beliefs. When was the last time you ever saw a man getting another man pregnant, or a woman getting another women pregnant? Nature didn’t design us for same sex reproduction. Two men getting it on is just sick. Although I must say watching 2 hot chicks getting it on aint a bad thing.

HAHAHA! And with that, I betcha this ol' thing gets locked
            Former Ride: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 345 rwhp, 360 rwtq... stock internally.

Current Ride: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT Limited - spec.B #312 of 500

Comment

The abortion issue is another, and it's closely tied in with the relion issue.
              Abortion shouldn’t be an issue of religion. It should be an issue of right and wrong, and of responsibility. If you have sex, you have to be responsible for the consequences of your actions. If some is raped, then they should be permitted to get an abortion because that is a situation that they didn’t get into by choice. If there are medical complications with a pregnancy that puts the mother in danger, than it most certainly should be allowed. But if someone is perfectly healthy and physically capable of having a baby then no they shouldn’t be allowed to have one. They must accept the consequences for their actions, which means then need to raise the darn kid. Why should someone have to die just because their parents are irresponsible? That is wrong! This country is so full of people who don’t want to take responsibilities for there actions.

Comment

• Originally posted by markd79ta
                I don't think this will happen until the Christian community takes a softer loving approach. The hard core condemning ..."do this or else" approach is turning people off.
                I think so too...thats why I go out of my way to make sure I tell people that I dont go to church, follow Christ, and stay away from sinning because I'm afraid to go to hell...thats living to die...I do all those things because the blessings and fruits of the spirit that it brings are worth more than anything else I can get from sin. That love is the driving force in my life not fear of hell...and thats what us Christians really need to start preaching because the above statement is abosuletly correct and thats NOT what Jesus went around telling everyone either...so why should we?
                -Rico

98 Camaro, V6, A4, Silver, Xenon Body kit, white guages, MTX system, custom interior SOLD

Comment

• Back to the original reason for this thread.
                  he he he
                  2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff 95 Z28
                    Back to the original reason for this thread.
                    he he he

BWWAAAAAHAAaaahhhaaahahhahahahaahahahaaaaaaaa..... .........

Gordon Arnold - '00 WS6 T/A - Sold

Comment

he he he
                      VERY NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

....we were the first country to develop them (WMDs), the ONLY country to use them...
                        I forgot this one. The US is NOT the only country to use WMD's. Saddam has used them twice. He used chemical weapons on Iran in the 1980's and on the Kurds in northern Iraq.
                        2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

he he he
                          Hilarious...

I really didn't expect Kerry to be leading in the Polls...Something about him that just I dont see sincerity in what he says...kind of like a used car salesman..
                          -Rico

Comment

....we were the first country to develop them (WMDs), the ONLY country to use them...

Originally posted by Jeff 95 Z28
                            I forgot this one. The US is NOT the only country to use WMD's. Saddam has used them twice. He used chemical weapons on Iran in the 1980's and on the Kurds in northern Iraq.
                            Right on Jeff! Just goes to show you who's posting valid info and who's not.

Comment

• Originally posted by markd79ta
                              I don't think this will happen until the Christian community takes a softer loving approach. The hard core condemning ..."do this or else" approach is turning people off. The news is good news and it is a message of love and grace...that is being lost. The politics of today are ugly, and Christians are soiling themselves being involved in it.

The only thing that is going to help the attitude of this country is family involvement with children...every parent needs to take that responsibility by both hands and raise their children with love, responsibility, and respect for others. I really hope that God is a part of that...I really do...I think it is the only way to rebuild that mutual respect for others.

So what your saying is Chistians should re-write the book they belive in because its to harsh for modern people? Christains I belive are doing what their religion is telling them to do. Im not saying they are perfect. I also think that the bible is one of the most improperly quoted books on earth. A person can pretty much say anything they want by quoting anything. I live in Canada and I watch this debate with quiet resevation. I see all of the people in the USA having the same problems as we have in canada. In canada people have gotten rid of religon from schools. Accepted gay marrages in every province BUT Alberta. We in alberta are very based on a set idea of what a good person is and should be, but not because of Christians, though they did found this area, but because of the fact that all the religons have pretty much the same idea about what is right or wrong. I dont belive Christianity should be the ruling religon but I feel they seem to be the most outspoken about what is right and that religon should be part of our everyday life. I think if more religons got the idea that they are all working toward a comon goal, being a good person and tolerant of others we would be better off. Im not the greatest at trying to get my point across but I hope you see what Im saying. I dont overly like Bush as he has made relations with canada strained. Not to say canadian polotics hasant had a hand in it. Most people in alberta were disapointed when canada did not officialy go to war with the US against terrorists even though we had some of our eleite forces over there helping as we also have forces in iraq too unofficialy. But I dont really like Kerry and his views on religon and family. I hope that who ever gets into office will try to have a better relationship with canada. I also support the war in iraq and if canada asked me to go there i would gladly have gone.

Eric W.

89 Firebird Formula WS6
                              Accel/Lingenfelter Super Ram
                              6.2L/382.97 ci
                              Custom PROM Dyno tuned
                              WCT-5 speed
                              BW 9-bolt Posi 3.45
                              Boss MS 18" Rims
                              Headman Headers 1 5/8 Ceramic Coated
                              Custom Dual exhaust
                              1LE upgrade
                              Custom Temperature / Navigation Rear View Mirror
                              In a constant state of upgrade!

Comment

I did NOT say WMD in my post, you inserted that. I was referring to nuclear weapons in that statement. Please do not alter my posts to suit your needs.
                                Dave M
                                Life, liberty, and the pursuit of all who threaten it!

Comment

Working...
                                X