X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trans removal time...>>

So the Master cylinder is fine.....

Next step trans out.

It'll either be a problem with the slave .... which is not leaking, so it's probably OK (remember it was a new 2002 GM part when I installed the trans .... 25,000 miles ago).

Or.... that stinky SPEC stage 3 pressure plate is Kaput! That clutch NEVER worked well. Slipped on power shifts right from the beginning. I can't even spin 2nd gear on dry pavement.

Input on a REAL clutch to replace it ??..........not that this $400 clutch shouldn't have done the trick......SHEESH !

Gordon Arnold - '00 WS6 T/A - Sold

Gordon, not sure why the Stage 3 would be slipping on you. I've seen those clutches hold a 200 shot without any slippage on an LS1.

SPEC makes all the way up to a stage 5 clutch. And you can get the cermic pads as well. They are pretty chattery on the street but they are sticky!

I know lots of f-body guys down here have opted to use an adjustable master cylinder with an aftermarket clutch so that they can adjust the release down to a very minimal distance.

Are you using the stock LS1 flywheel? Did you install the kevlar or carbon clutch. Might be time to upgrade to the carbon if you used the kevlar.

Mcleod makes a decent clutch as well but I would stick with SPEC.

Comment

I'm suprised you didn't go with the stage 4 at least to begin with. You could even go ceramic, but many complain that on the street it is a little too much like a on/off race clutch. Maybe Kevlar or Kevlar/carbon, they make several combinations.

Comment

Originally posted by fastTA
        Gordon, not sure why the Stage 3 would be slipping on you. I've seen those clutches hold a 200 shot without any slippage on an LS1.

you aint seen this animal drive...........

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
        Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
        sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

Originally posted by wolfman
          you aint seen this animal drive...........

If he drives anything like me, I probably already have!

Comment

Well... I did much study before I bought it.... seemed the best.

I did get the aluminum flywheel too.

I think I did the carbon clutch.

It doesn't slip once it's engaged .... it's the quick gear shift under high RPM that slips...... about a 500 rpm slip.

I bought it about two years ago and I see that they are saying that they have a redesign on both the PP and the disc. Hmmmm............

The PP has been working very funky for about 20,000 out of the 25,000 miles on it. Acting like air in the hydraulics but bleeding wouldn't change it. ..... not releasing fully .... engaging right off the floor, etc....

What really makes me think twice is the way they pretty much told me to "take a hike" when I called about the slipping ..... immediately . Here at my full-time job (catalog-mail-order-phone-internet BMW parts ... we're the biggest) ....... that would be the sure fire way of loosing a customer and everybody that he has contact with !!!!!

I had originally considered the stage 4, but was told by Spec and others that the stage 3 was overkill........Hmm.....

I'll be calling them and see if I get any positive help or just ... an offer to allow me to buy another kit .......at full price........WOW, gee, you would do that for me?

Comment

Originally posted by M3EATER - GG '00 WS6 T/A
              I had originally considered the stage 4, but was told by Spec and others that the stage 3 was overkill........Hmm.....
              Go figure. Shoulda stuck with your instincts.

Comment

What really makes me think twice is the way they pretty much told me to "take a hike" when I called about the slipping ..... immediately .

I'll be calling them and see if I get any positive help or just ... an offer to allow me to buy another kit .......at full price........WOW, gee, you would do that for me?
                Its funny, thats the second time I have heard of bad customer service from SPEC. I thought that was the greatest thing about their company, their AWESOME customer service. Now, I call as a manager from my father's tranny shop, so that may be the difference. Maybe it was just the person you talked to. Call and ask for Pete. I just talked to him the other day and he is supposed to be "refurbishing" my clutch as it is almost worn out. That may be an option for you too. I will say that the stage 3 clutch has never slipped on me until recently (an it only happened once). Then again, the LS1 is different clutch.

Oh....I remember my father doing a modification to the master/slave cylinder on the last LS1 that we did to make the clutch engage faster. He said that the master/slave are problematic with a high performance clutch on the LS1. I will have to remember to ask him about that as I dont remember exactly what he does to them.
                96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
                11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Comment

Originally posted by N20LT4Bird

Oh....I remember my father doing a modification to the master/slave cylinder on the last LS1 that we did to make the clutch engage faster. He said that the master/slave are problematic with a high performance clutch on the LS1. I will have to remember to ask him about that as I dont remember exactly what he does to them.

Your're probably refering to the restricor in the hydraulic line..... That's long gone!

These cars will totally smoke the clutch (doing burnouts and powershifts) if that's not drilled out.

Comment

Your're probably refering to the restricor in the hydraulic line..... That's long gone!

These cars will totally smoke the clutch (doing burnouts and powershifts) if that's not drilled out.

So how do I go about doing that?
                    Former Ride: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 345 rwhp, 360 rwtq... stock internally.

Current Ride: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT Limited - spec.B #312 of 500

Comment

Your're probably refering to the restricor in the hydraulic line..... .
                      Yea, that sounds about right.
                      96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
                      11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Comment

Working...
                      X