Which CIA? SLP or K & N?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which CIA? SLP or K & N?

Is there a K & N kit for a 97 Z with traction control? I see the slp but I'm not crazy about the design. Looks a little restrictive, and I don't like the small dual filters. What's a good CIA for a car with traction control? Thanks.
    97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

Originally posted by raroZ28
    Is there a K & N kit for a 97 Z with traction control? I see the slp but I'm not crazy about the design. Looks a little restrictive, and I don't like the small dual filters. What's a good CIA for a car with traction control? Thanks.
    To my knowlege, traction control has no impact on the CAI. I would recommend the Moroso kit. The price is lower, and performance the same.

Check it out, Jegs has it for under $190 with free shipping

Moroso cold air at Jegs
    Tracy
    2002 C5 M6 Convertible
    1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
    Current Mods:
    SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Thanks Trace. The reason I ask is because K & N says that it will not work with it. Their FIPK. The moroso is the same price as the SLP, and I like the design too. Will a K&N filter fit on that CIA? Is it plastic or SS? I like how the SLP is SS. Do all 3 CIA's offer about the same level of performance?
      97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

Comment

Thanks Trace. The reason I ask is because K & N says that it will not work with it. Their FIPK. The moroso is the same price as the SLP, and I like the design too. Will a K&N filter fit on that CIA? Is it plastic or SS? I like how the SLP is SS. Do all 3 CIA's offer about the same level of performance?
        All CAI kits offer about the same performance. What you are paying for is the look you prefer. The Moroso includes a K&N style oiled filter... it might even be an actual K&N??

That is very odd that the K&N says it wont work with ASR.. I've never heard of that before. Is there a component of the ASR system that would interfere with the installation?
        Tracy
        2002 C5 M6 Convertible
        1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
        Current Mods:
        SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

here is more info... it was actully designed by Callaway.

http://www.moroso.com/catalog/catego...?catcode=34001
          Tracy
          2002 C5 M6 Convertible
          1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
          Current Mods:

Comment

Thanks Trace. I'm sold

Comment

I have the Moroso CAI.

Originally posted by TraceZ
              The Moroso includes a K&N style oiled filter... it might even be an actual K&N??
              Yes it is.

Is it plastic or SS?
              The Moroso has a plastic tube and a metal mounting plate where it goes through the fender (so to speak).

I had some problem getting mine on. I mounted the plate as far towards the outside of the car as I could and the tube was still too long. I tried a torch to melt the housing to try and get it to fit between the radiator and the ABS pump but that didn't work. I couldn't get the hood to close. I ended up cutting about an inch off the tube at the MAF end and it fit perfect (would have fit without the melting after this).

If I had to do it all over again, I would get the SLP.
              2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff 95 Z28
                I have the Moroso CAI.

The Moroso has a plastic tube and a metal mounting plate where it goes through the fender (so to speak).

I had some problem getting mine on. I mounted the plate as far towards the outside of the car as I could and the tube was still too long. I tried a torch to melt the housing to try and get it to fit between the radiator and the ABS pump but that didn't work. I couldn't get the hood to close. I ended up cutting about an inch off the tube at the MAF end and it fit perfect (would have fit without the melting after this).

If I had to do it all over again, I would get the SLP.
                Jeff... knowing what you know now, and how to cut some off the end would you be able to install another one without a problem? This is good info, thanks!
                Tracy
                2002 C5 M6 Convertible
                1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
                Current Mods:

Comment

Originally posted by TraceZ
                  Jeff... knowing what you know now, and how to cut some off the end would you be able to install another one without a problem? This is good info, thanks!
                  Probably. I would just like to know if it was designed long to be cut (The instructions didn't say anything about it.) or why is my car different than theirs ( http://www.callawaycars.com/callaway...rojects/c8.htm ).

Interesting I can hear the intake a lot better. I think it resonates.
                  2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

The morosso knocked .3 seconds my buddy's 95 z. He went from 14.0 at 100 to 13.7 at 102. Im going to get the morosso when i get the $$$.
                    1996 Trans Am:T-tops,graphite leather,16" chrome T/A rims, Nitto's, Descreened MAF, Morosso CAI, hypertech, flowtech cut out, 1LE elbow, Silver BMR tubular SFC's, 160 thermo, limo tint, harwood ws6 hood, !side molding, Stage 2 trans.

Looking for a driver side window.

Comment

pure, did your friend have to do any fabricating to get the moroso to work?

Comment

I have a K&N FIPK on my 96Z and it has ASR so I don't think you'd have a problem on your 97. Good Luck

96 Z28 A4, K&N CAI, 3.42 gears, Exhaust Cut Out. Best ET 14.02 -R.I.P. 95 Formula-

Comment

pure, did your friend have to do any fabricating to get the moroso to work?
                          No it went right on. a little pushing and pulling here and there thats about it.
                          1996 Trans Am:T-tops,graphite leather,16" chrome T/A rims, Nitto's, Descreened MAF, Morosso CAI, hypertech, flowtech cut out, 1LE elbow, Silver BMR tubular SFC's, 160 thermo, limo tint, harwood ws6 hood, !side molding, Stage 2 trans.

Looking for a driver side window.

Comment

Working...
                          X