Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help me bring down the CO Levels in my exhaust...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me bring down the CO Levels in my exhaust...

Hey guys,
    I failed the sniffer a couple weeks ago. Its probably because I pulled off the AIR equipment on my car. Anyway, I was hoping you guys know some tricks to bring it down so that I can pass. I didnt fail by much. In addition to my mods below, I have:

-The timing advanced 8*
    -The fuel pressure raised above the factory level
    -A BRAND NEW High Flow Magnaflow cat.
    -127,000miles
    -I know my valve seals are going bad. On startup, I see a puff of white smoke come out the tail pipes. I am not getting in trouble for the smoke, cause its not visible, but mabey the small amount of oil that is getting into the engine while its running is hurting my emissions.

I was planning on droping the timing & fuel pressure back down to stock. Using a thicker engine oil for the test to stop any oil from getting into the combustion chamber. And maybe getting a new O2 Sensor. (I have to show a reciept for something when I bring it back to get tested) Any other tricks to help in passing?

I can bring it to a private testing center and "Pay a Fee" to get it to pass, but I would like to save a few $$ if possible.
    No F-Body right now

There is a product called "emissions test passer" or something to the like. You add the stuff to your fuel and run the car. It helps clean the cat and I have seen it work....... well enough to get you through the test. It has a money back guarantee as well. If it doesn't work well enough, at least you will get your dough back in the mail.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe 1320
      There is a product called "emissions test passer" or something to the like. You add the stuff to your fuel and run the car. It helps clean the cat and I have seen it work....... well enough to get you through the test. It has a money back guarantee as well. If it doesn't work well enough, at least you will get your dough back in the mail.
      Usually the guarantee is only valid if you have ALL the emissions equipment in working order. Kind of defies the point of using the stuff though, but i don't know how they can prove you don't have the emissions equipment.
      2006 Saturn Ion Redline
      2003 Mits. Eclipse Spyder

Comment

Originally posted by Mark B
        Hey guys,
        I failed the sniffer a couple weeks ago. Its probably because I pulled off the AIR equipment on my car. Anyway, I was hoping you guys know some tricks to bring it down so that I can pass. I didnt fail by much. In addition to my mods below, I have:

-The timing advanced 8*
        -The fuel pressure raised above the factory level
        -A BRAND NEW High Flow Magnaflow cat.
        -127,000miles
        -I know my valve seals are going bad. On startup, I see a puff of white smoke come out the tail pipes. I am not getting in trouble for the smoke, cause its not visible, but mabey the small amount of oil that is getting into the engine while its running is hurting my emissions.

I was planning on droping the timing & fuel pressure back down to stock. Using a thicker engine oil for the test to stop any oil from getting into the combustion chamber. And maybe getting a new O2 Sensor. (I have to show a reciept for something when I bring it back to get tested) Any other tricks to help in passing?

I can bring it to a private testing center and "Pay a Fee" to get it to pass, but I would like to save a few $$ if possible.
        The air pump system is only for cold start. It pumps air into the converter to heat it up faster.

How long did you drive the car before you took it to be tested. Most cars fail because the owner does not get it hot enough for the converter to convert. Just because the water temp is at operating temperture, doesn't meant the converter is hot.

White smoke is water. If the valve seals were bad, the smoke would be blue tinted.
        2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

I would do what you suggested. Take the timing back down to the stock 0* and lower the fuel pressure. How long has it been since you've had a tune-up? And you said you may change your oxygen sensor, but how old is the one in your car?
          1991 Chevy Camaro RS (Is it plum or purple?)
          Engine: 305 TBI (L03)
          Trans: TH700R4
          Mods: Some

CarDomain Site

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff 95 Z28
            The air pump system is only for cold start. It pumps air into the converter to heat it up faster.
            He has a 3rd Gen. Its not the same as your 4th Gen.

The AIR pump runs all the time on the 3rd Gens. It has a "split bed" catalyst. The second bed needs the extra air (there is an AIR pipe on the cat, between the beds) to oxidze the CO to CO2 and the unburned HC to CO2 and H2O.

Try dropping the fuel pressure. High CO is a sign of runing rich. What did your HC's look like? Were they possibly also high, maybe just a little under the limit? That would indicate both running rich, and/or the absence of the AIR system.
            Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

The car was warmed up plenty to get everything working right. I had just driven it about an hour (mostly highway.) I bought a Non-AIR cat hoping it wouldnt need the extra clean air because it doesnt have the "Split Bed." But I guess I was wrong. Here is what the entire readout sheet looked like.

Type______Standard__________Reading

NOx________879_______________78
              HC_________117_______________75
              CO%_______0.65______________0.89
              CO2%________-_______________13.6
              No F-Body right now

Comment

If you got a single-bed cat, you should be OK. You could try leaning it out. Leaning will elevate NOx, but you've got room to spare there. Leaning it will reduce CO and reduce HC's. Using fuel with methanol, ethanol, or "oxygenated" (MTBE, etc.) fuel will also provide extra O2 to combine with the CO and HC's.
                Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Originally posted by Injuneer
                  If you got a single-bed cat, you should be OK. You could try leaning it out. Leaning will elevate NOx, but you've got room to spare there. Leaning it will reduce CO and reduce HC's. Using fuel with methanol, ethanol, or "oxygenated" (MTBE, etc.) fuel will also provide extra O2 to combine with the CO and HC's.
                  I would be willing to bet your trouble is the elevated fuel pressure. Your NOx is only 78 PPM out of a possible 879 PPM......this is a sign that you've got a lot of fuel running through, keeping the combustion temps down. Like Injuneer said, you've got room to play with in the NOx dept., so lean it out to reduce the CO and Hyrdocarbons.......then crank it back up to where you like it after you get your sticker.
                  96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
                  11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Comment

Working...
                  X