Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

One more question: water/meth injection?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One more question: water/meth injection?

A buddy of mine today said that he was looking into a wather / methanol injection system to add boost to his 5.0 'stang. I had never heard of this, and wondered if there were any risks that justified the payout of more power for cheap.
    '99 T/A WS6 w/ Borla cat-back, K&N, SLP SFC, SLP STB, BMR boxed LCA's, BMR Adj. torque arm, BMR panhard rod, BMR springs, and Short Stick
    (a list I know, but if I don't put it here, I'll never write it down anywhere else)

Originally posted by Tig
    A buddy of mine today said that he was looking into a wather / methanol injection system to add boost to his 5.0 'stang. I had never heard of this, and wondered if there were any risks that justified the payout of more power for cheap.
    Guys usually do this to cool the combustion temps to run more boost without increasing the risk of detonation.
    96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
    11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Comment

Most used in forced induction motors, it has enormous benefit of making up for lack of fuel octane. Propane injection is the latest greatest system.

Comment

Originally posted by Tig
        This is a very common use for boosted motors. Methanol by itself has an octane rating of 113. When used in conjunction with water it has been said to reduce EGT's by at least 100° F. Water/Meth injection can also allow you to lean out the motor some and advance overall timing even while increasing boost. The systems are usually setup to run at 90-110 psi so that the water/meth is properly atomized and distributed to each cylinder as equally as possible.

As long as he dosn't use in excess of a 50/50 ratio with the meth, and considering the kit is otherwise installed properly, he shouldnt have any problems and he will be able to increase his boost by about 3-5 psi and tune more aggresively.

Meth is just as flammable as gasoline so be careful.

Comment

Working...
        X