Help Tracking Down Rotten Egg Smell

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Tracking Down Rotten Egg Smell

Hi everybody, for a while I have been trying to track down this rotten egg smell I notice sometimes when I drive my car. When my car was a A4 I only notice the smell when I floored the car and when I got to a stop light, the smell would araise. When I converted my car over to a M6 I notice it when I cruise at high rpms and when I get to a stop the smell araises. So today I decided to get my cat replaced with a new one that I bought. The converter I bought was a carsound cat. I though it would fix the problem but apparently the smell is still there. Also last week I replaced my spark plugs. The plugs look good, no signs of the car running rich. So now I am out of ideas. I had a buddy scan my car, and he was not able to see anything wrong. My car use to be a dual cat but I converted over to a single cat. Would programming be required for this? Also my friend loaded up a M6 file after the T56 swap. The O2s have been replaced. Would a bad EGR cause this or a bad fuel injector? Or would I have to change out my opti? Any help would be apprecaited. Thank you in advance for your time and help.
    Eric Lelina
    95 Z28
    Tuned by Carolina Auto Masters
    302hp and 335tq
    M6,GMPP CAI,1.6 Crane Gold RRs, MAC Headers,1LE intake elbow,Air Foil,!TB Bypass,Hypertech 160 Thermostat,Taylor Spiro-Pro 8mm Wires,Accel Super Coil,MSD 6al,SLP 2otl catback, Eibach Pro Kit,DMS SFCs,Hotchkis STB,BMR Adjustable PHR,Global West LCA,1LE Sway bars front and rear,KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, Energy Suspension Tranny Mount and Endlinks,Prothane Poly Torque Arm Mount,LS1 Driveshaft,17x9 SS rims.

The car is running rich. What are your oxygen sensor readings? The most common cause for this is a bad O2 sensor. It could be caused by a bad injector, one that is stuck open. The PCM will compensate for an overly rich mixture unless: a) it has erroneous info from the O2's b) the output (fuel inj) are not doing what they are supposed to c) the PCM is faulty d) the problem is so severe that the fuel trim is not capable of compensating.

I would take a hard look at the O2 sensors again......
    96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
    11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Comment

Check the battery also. Overcharging can cause it to smell like that.
      LS15 Power! Another LSx engine coming soon.

Comment

Possibly the charcoal canister used to trap fuel vapors may be kaput.

Comment

Try a different brand of fuel. Excess sulfur levels can cause the sulfur to be converted by the cat to sulfur dioxide = rotten egg smell (actually, its nowhere near "rotten eggs".... my science teacher kept a rotten egg in a jar, just in case anyone wnated to debate the issue )
          Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Shell has one of the highest sulfer content of major gas brands.

Comment

I had the same problem on my Cutlass. It was caused by a bad cat. conv.
              Try all the other suggestions too and your car will be back in perfect,.....smelling condidiotn.

Comment

N2OLT4Bird, you mention about checking the readings of the o2s. I was wondering what should I look for when I am scanning my car. The scan tool I am using is Diacom. Also what else should I look for? Should I do the test at wot or just regular driving conditions? Injuneer, I have tried different brands of fuel but I have stayed with the highest octane and I am still having the same problem. I just replaced my cat yesterday with a brand new carsound cat. Thanks for the help guys I really appreciate it.
                Eric Lelina
                95 Z28
                Tuned by Carolina Auto Masters
                302hp and 335tq
                M6,GMPP CAI,1.6 Crane Gold RRs, MAC Headers,1LE intake elbow,Air Foil,!TB Bypass,Hypertech 160 Thermostat,Taylor Spiro-Pro 8mm Wires,Accel Super Coil,MSD 6al,SLP 2otl catback, Eibach Pro Kit,DMS SFCs,Hotchkis STB,BMR Adjustable PHR,Global West LCA,1LE Sway bars front and rear,KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, Energy Suspension Tranny Mount and Endlinks,Prothane Poly Torque Arm Mount,LS1 Driveshaft,17x9 SS rims.

Comment

Originally posted by My Mighty White 95 Z28
                  N2OLT4Bird, you mention about checking the readings of the o2s. I was wondering what should I look for when I am scanning my car. The scan tool I am using is Diacom. Also what else should I look for? Should I do the test at wot or just regular driving conditions? Injuneer, I have tried different brands of fuel but I have stayed with the highest octane and I am still having the same problem. I just replaced my cat yesterday with a brand new carsound cat. Thanks for the help guys I really appreciate it.
                  You want to make sure both O2's are bouncing around between .1 and .9 volts or 100 and 900 millivolts, depending on how your scanner displays it. They should be switching back and forth constantly, especially under varying throttle positions. If the O2's are stuck up in the .8-.9 range, then it is running too rich. If thats the case, you need to determine if you have a problem such as the stuck fuel injector you mentioned earlier. If the sensors are stuck at .1 or .2, it may falsely be driving the system rich, and in this case you need a new sensor(s).
                  96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
                  11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Comment

Working...
                  X