X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• drrrrrooooooool....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...6168#mainImage

I want one so bad.
    Former Ride: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 345 rwhp, 360 rwtq... stock internally.

Current Ride: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT Limited - spec.B #312 of 500

I've heard of these but never knew much about them. Are they good handing, power, both? I'm assuming its still a 350 does it use a LT1 or LT4 that is suped up kinda like the LS1 to the LS6?
    1994 Firebird Formula, M6, Fan switch, 160 thermostat, Pacesetter LT headers, Morosso CAI, TB bypass, True duals.

Comment

It's a whole other beast all together.

It is the LT5 motor. 350 CID, but DOHC and 32 valve. I believe the stock redline was 7K or 7500... and that was only because the accessories couldn't rev any higher.

It's an absolute MONSTER.
      Former Ride: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 345 rwhp, 360 rwtq... stock internally.

Comment

I've heard of the LT5 but never knew much about it. So it was dual overhead cam? What type of performance numbers? What would it do against an 04 Z06?
        1994 Firebird Formula, M6, Fan switch, 160 thermostat, Pacesetter LT headers, Morosso CAI, TB bypass, True duals.

Comment

Originally posted by 94 formula
          I've heard of the LT5 but never knew much about it. So it was dual overhead cam? What type of performance numbers? What would it do against an 04 Z06?
          An '04 Z06 is faster than it, but it doesn't have even close to the cool/unique factor.

The 93+ LT5 made 405 HP, and I think 385 TQ. It was a solid 12 second car.

Comment

Too bad they didn't drop them in an f-body. Thats awsome power for a factory car.

Comment

Drool...............!
              1996 Arctic White Z28, A4, K&N CAI, TByrne MAF ends, BBK Twin-52mm TB, TB Bypass, SLP 1 3/4" Shorties, Richmond 3.42's, Dynomax Bullet Muffler W/Turn Down, BMR Adj. Panhard, EIBACH Pro-Kit, AFS ZR1 Wheels W/17x11" out back!

Comment

my best freinds dad had one with a he she switch witch changed the hp from 275 to 375 not sure how but it was a nice car then they sold it and bought a 60,000 dragster tried to get a pic on here but couldnt
                1995 formula firebird
                mods k&n fipk ,flowmaster catback, 52mm throttle body, crane hi-6 with lx92 coil,mad dog tranny with trans cooler

Comment

I don't think it would have fit in an F-Body. The ZR1 vette was 4" wider than a standard vette to accommodate the motor IIRC.

The ZR1 is still the mack daddy of corvettes.......until the 427 ZO6 comes out.

Four valve heads though.............that would be a dream come true. Too bad the dominion heads take so much work to get running on an LT1, even though Arao says they're a "direct bolt on."
                  Active Duty USAF KC-10 Boom

93 F-Body Service Manual DTC and Driveability Charts

Comment

I knew someone who had a 1990 ZR1 #540. That is the only car that has ever scared me on the road. I liked the way the dash was completely black until you turned the key on. So cool. The engine sounds more like an Indy car rather than a NASCAR. It seamed effortless for it to wind to 7,000. If I won the lottery, it would be the first thing I bought.
                    2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Check out Rogers Corvette Center.........he has several ZR1's for sale along with a whole host of other Vettes http://www.rogerscorvette.com/cars.php
                      Dave S
                      2000 Black Camaro SS

Comment

Originally posted by 94 formula
                        Too bad they didn't drop them in an f-body. Thats awsome power for a factory car.
                        They did . I have a picture in a book I have called "Camaro Performance Handbook" that shows a 3rd gen with an LT-5 shoehorned in. It's a tight fit, I'll tell you that. I wish I had a scanner so I could post the picture, I almost wet my pants everytime I see it. Of course, on the same page, it shows a carbed 454 and a fuel injected 454 in a 3rd gen, too . And, of course, of these cars went into production, though.
                        1991 Chevy Camaro RS (Is it plum or purple?)
                        Engine: 305 TBI (L03)
                        Trans: TH700R4
                        Mods: Some

CarDomain Site

Comment

That reminds me on an issue of, I think it was Motor Trend a bunch of years ago, the top performance guru guy from Chevy and the one from Ford had a bet or something and put together some monster cars to test against each other. The chevy guy brought a '93 (?) Camaro with the front clip off of a '98, painter hugger orange and with a huge carbureted engine of some sort. I wish I could remember more about it, all I know is it was a killer shootout. Anybody remember this one?

2000 Black Camaro w/3800 V6. Hotchkis STB, Whisper Lid, K&N, Flowmaster exhaust.

Comment

I cannot disagree that the ZR1 was awsome in its day...

BUT

I would never buy one and here is why:

Parts are way to hard to find, and expensive.
                            a 1996 LT4 vette is just about as fast, and cheaper to maintain/modify.
                            The motor was not really all that remarkable, considering it had DOHC and 32 valves. There is alot of technology and complicated parts that really dont make much more power than a stock LS1.

by todays standards, it is over rated.
                            Tracy
                            2002 C5 M6 Convertible
                            1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
                            Current Mods:
                            SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

The guy I know turned a 12.3 in a bone stock 1990ZR1 up in Commerce, Ga.. I think it was rated at 385hp but I'm not sure. I haven't seen a LS1 stock in that range. It was almost as fast as my VFR700F Interceptor.

I just like the sound of it. It's closer to sounding like a Ferrari. Hey I didn't say it was practical.
                              2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Working...
                              X