No announcement yet.

NFB...Im so disgusted... Anyone else?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm with ya Jay! I'm from Michigan and voted yes to both proposals and straight republican!

LT4KM, 160' TS, MAF ends, TB-BP, GMPP 1.6 R/R, SLP CAI, LCA, Adj. tierod, BMR tower brace, 17x9"F/R, 275/40R17 GY F1 tires. WS6 Muffler, LS1 DS. 21mm rear sway bar. Soon to be LT4 heads, intake, & HOT cam

Comment

3rd choice, Ralph Nader
      1993 TA SOLD

-------------------------------------------
      "Unless It's Fatal, It's No Big Deal"

Comment

A friend of mine wore a "Nader 2004" t-shirt for Halloween.

When someone asked what she was, she said, "I'm a wasted vote."

Former Ride: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 345 rwhp, 360 rwtq... stock internally.

Current Ride: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT Limited - spec.B #312 of 500

Comment

Originally posted by markd79ta
          40%??? I think you are giving the U.S. electorate way too much credit! I would say about 90% or more have no clue about the construction of our government and the reasons it was constructed that way in the first place. Without that knowledge, a person has no business voting or making policy decisions in this country. It is the reason why we are in the mess we are in. A few years ago, I read the results of a very elementary American History quiz given to college students. It was astonishing how many failed it.

Our founding fathers created the electoral college specifically for that reason - the average person is not educated enough about politics and economics to make the proper choice, BUT they did not want to take our right to vote from us.
          Wifey to Jeff in ATL

Comment

Originally posted by Bug Lover
            Our founding fathers created the electoral college specifically for that reason - the average person is not educated enough about politics and economics to make the proper choice, BUT they did not want to take our right to vote from us.
            There were actually two main reasons. The geographic size in proportion to the ability to travel and campaign in the days without mainstream political parties and communication to express ideas. In other words, there would have been regions voting for their particular candidate with little to no organization. It would really be awful, if one particular region kept winning the election based on population. Although, that happens anyway, unfortunately. The other was the debate over states rights. It would be really nice if every state had an equal voice in the electoral college. That way, one region couldn't impose there will on everybody else. I am pretty tired of being told what to do by the east and left coast so and sos! The electoral college should be identical to the Senate...equal number of votes for each state. The presidential race should be a state-wide race in each state.,.the candidate with the most states wins. It would be really nice if the only direct elected body was the House (small enough area to accurately represent a community of interest)...as it was intended. Oh well, big sigh, drink my beer and move on!
            '77 K5 rock-crawler project
            '79 T/A: WS6, 400 4sp, 40K miles; Completely stock and original
            '87 Lifted 3/4 ton Suburban (Big Blue) plow truck
            '94 Roadmaster Wagon (The Roadmonster) 200,000 miles and still going
            '97 T/A: (SLP 1LE Suspension, SB, & sfc(s), Loudmouth); 4.10s; B&M Ripper; R/A Hood; ZR1s
            My daily drivers: '06 Jeep Liberty CRD (wife); '01 Yukon Denali XL (me); '03 Stratus Coupe (me)

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
            Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by markd79ta
              There were actually two main reasons. The geographic size in proportion to the ability to travel and campaign in the days without mainstream political parties and communication to express ideas. In other words, there would have been regions voting for their particular candidate with little to no organization. It would really be awful, if one particular region kept winning the election based on population. Although, that happens anyway, unfortunately. The other was the debate over states rights. It would be really nice if every state had an equal voice in the electoral college. That way, one region couldn't impose there will on everybody else. I am pretty tired of being told what to do by the east and left coast so and sos! The electoral college should be identical to the Senate...equal number of votes for each state. The presidential race should be a state-wide race in each state.,.the candidate with the most states wins. It would be really nice if the only direct elected body was the House (small enough area to accurately represent a community of interest)...as it was intended. Oh well, big sigh, drink my beer and move on!
              Here is the perfect example of what you are talking about.
              http://www.zogby.com/
              If Bush takes Va and looses Pe, Kerry would win without taking a single southern state. Look at how much more red there is than blue. I'm not sure but I don't remember Kerry coming to any southern state except Florida. He didn't come to Georgia.
              2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Personally, I think the electoral system is perfect.

You guys bring up valuable points, but you gottta remember that it would be VERY possible for a candidate to lose the popular vote by a landlside and win the electoral vote by a landslide. It wouldn't be representative enough of the populaiton as a whole. Do you think the population would really be OK with voting 75% for one candidate, but getting the other? There would be a civil war.

I love the electoral system because it lets both the states and the population's voice be heard. Sure, you could slightly lose the popular vote, but win the electoral vote... or you could lose the states' votes, but win the electoral vote. But it is a good mix.

I absolutely HATE the idea of a nationwide popular vote... there are too many different interests and needs in different regions that would be ignored. Also... what would our state borders really mean? We would all be one big mosh pit.
                Former Ride: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 345 rwhp, 360 rwtq... stock internally.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff 95 Z28
                  Here is the perfect example of what you are talking about.
                  http://www.zogby.com/
                  If Bush takes Va and looses Pe, Kerry would win without taking a single southern state. Look at how much more red there is than blue. I'm not sure but I don't remember Kerry coming to any southern state except Florida. He didn't come to Georgia.
                  This is the reason why domestic(local and regional) policy should be left to the states NOT the federal government. The federal government is definitely not representative of my region in recent years. I think a lot of people can say that. It is wrong for one region or one group of people to impose their will on others...that is what our federal government does on a daily basis (it is all special interest "self" interested cr@p). Everybody talks about the president and nothing about their local officials. This is totally backwards. The federal government is necessary for commerce, infrastructure, security, and defense; but it is totally unnecessary domestically...that duty belongs to the local and state governments. I would much rather talk to the state representative down the street then the congressmen in Washington...I bet the state legislatures know a heck of a lot more about my community then the elected officials that live in other states. It is just simply awful...what a complete mess.
                  '77 K5 rock-crawler project
                  '79 T/A: WS6, 400 4sp, 40K miles; Completely stock and original
                  '87 Lifted 3/4 ton Suburban (Big Blue) plow truck
                  '94 Roadmaster Wagon (The Roadmonster) 200,000 miles and still going
                  '97 T/A: (SLP 1LE Suspension, SB, & sfc(s), Loudmouth); 4.10s; B&M Ripper; R/A Hood; ZR1s
                  My daily drivers: '06 Jeep Liberty CRD (wife); '01 Yukon Denali XL (me); '03 Stratus Coupe (me)

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
                  Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by Mark B
                    You would think with all of the brilliant people we have here in the US, that we could get two decent people to run for president!
                    One problem is the job really doesn't pay all that much. Yes, you get great benefits, but on the other hand, it takes YEARS off your life, destroys your family's privacy, and there's that odd chance that someone will kill you. A highly qualified and intelligent person can make much more in the private sector, so many of these potential candidates aren't interested in civil service.

Now, among those that do run for the office, there are other motives. Some like the power trip, while others want to serve their country. Any chimp can see that Kerry is in the former category and Bush is in the latter. Bush will get my vote, but, as for you, you're better off twiddling your thumbs.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin - Blown 95 TA
                      One problem is the job really doesn't pay all that much. Yes, you get great benefits, but on the other hand, it takes YEARS off your life, destroys your family's privacy, and there's that odd chance that someone will kill you. A highly qualified and intelligent person can make much more in the private sector, so many of these potential candidates aren't interested in civil service.

Now, among those that do run for the office, there are other motives. Some like the power trip, while others want to serve their country. Any chimp can see that Kerry is in the former category and Bush is in the latter. Bush will get my vote, but, as for you, you're better off twiddling your thumbs.
                      Is Bush going to win your state or what? You can thank Detroit for Michigan going to Kerry ...

Comment

Originally posted by Jay 02 TA ws6
                        Is Bush going to win your state or what? You can thank Detroit for Michigan going to Kerry ...
                        No, I'm ashamed to say we have a lot of liberals here in WI - Madison & Milwaukee are heavily Democratic. Looks like Sen. Feingold stays in Washington, also. Both our senators, our governor, and the 2 mayors are Dems. I have a great Republican representative though, Jim Sensenbrenner, whom I am proud of. But it would take a miracle for Bush to carry Wisconsin.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin - Blown 95 TA
                          No, I'm ashamed to say we have a lot of liberals here in WI
                          No kidding, especially Madison.. Check out the rants going on in the 'Isthmus' message board!

http://www.thedailypage.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=40

Scanning through Madison area blogs (livejournal, etc) many are seriously considering moving to Canada because of the election result! LOL.
                          '99 A4 1.8T QMS Santorin
                          (Hey, that's not an F-Body)

Comment

Originally posted by 95TransAm
                            Ya never know, in the halloween episode, they did cover themselves up as clinton and dole during the elections in an attempt to rule the world Just remember not to vote for kodos, he's the one that enslaved humanity
                            No no no you got it backwards. Kang enslaved humanity. Remember Homer says "Don't blame me I voted for Kodos." Oh and yes, I spend way to much time watching Simpsons reruns

96 Z28 A4, K&N CAI, 3.42 gears, Exhaust Cut Out. Best ET 14.02 -R.I.P. 95 Formula-

Comment

Originally posted by e40
                              No kidding, especially Madison.. Check out the rants going on in the 'Isthmus' message board!

http://www.thedailypage.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=40

Scanning through Madison area blogs (livejournal, etc) many are seriously considering moving to Canada because of the election result! LOL.

GOOD. Get them out of here.

Comment

I'm Canadain and I say keep your own seperatists!

Eric W.

89 Firebird Formula WS6
                                Accel/Lingenfelter Super Ram
                                6.2L/382.97 ci
                                Custom PROM Dyno tuned
                                WCT-5 speed
                                BW 9-bolt Posi 3.45
                                Boss MS 18" Rims
                                Headman Headers 1 5/8 Ceramic Coated
                                Custom Dual exhaust
                                1LE upgrade
                                Custom Temperature / Navigation Rear View Mirror
                                In a constant state of upgrade!

Comment

Working...
                                X