gear change quote

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tuning computer.....w/in

ok..i was thinking of tunning my computer for max performance. were would i go? how much does this run $ ? what kind of hp gains would i see ? i would undo the hypertech since i used it for speedo recalibration and the 160 stat ? and hopefully sell it for around $150 whats the turn around on the pcm ? is it very hard to take the pcm off and re-install ? thanks for any and all replies,
    eddie
    1995 Z28 A4, SCC Ultra Z Hood with Air box/K&N filter, Granatelli Maf Sensor/Fernco bellow/Hotchkis STB/white face gauges/LT4 Knock module/March pullies/160* stat without Hypertech Tunning/Borla 3" y-pipe/HI Flo 3" cat/SLP Loudmouth/GM Motive 3.73's + TA rear end girdle/Afs ZR1's silver painted with polished lip 17x9.5 front & 17x11 out back/98 tail light's/BMR SFC's/spohn Lca's/spohn relo brackets & spohn adj. panhard rod " coated mid lenght pacesetters headers + 1.6rr + custom pc tuning going on soon hopefully "

Comment

Originally posted by blackfire93
      I went around tonight to a couple of the transmission shops in Billings, Montana and one place told me it would be about $1,200 to change my rear end gears and the other place told me that it would be between $2k and $3k. All i was thinking the whole time is "are these people crazy". I'm gonna do some calling around here in the next couple days for a few more quotes but if i can't find anybody cheaper than $600 i would just rather do it myself!
      I would not pay more than $400 grand total. At the most, a ring and pinion set plus a bearing kit will cost the shop $200. And you should never in the world have to pay more than $250 for labor and even that is at the high end. The common gear change labor rate is $150.

Just keep calling around and asking around. You will find an expeienced shop that will do the gear change for the right price and stick behind their work.

Comment

Originally posted by LoudLT1
        ok..i was thinking of tunning my computer for max performance. were would i go? how much does this run $ ? what kind of hp gains would i see ? i would undo the hypertech since i used it for speedo recalibration and the 160 stat ? and hopefully sell it for around $150 whats the turn around on the pcm ? is it very hard to take the pcm off and re-install ? thanks for any and all replies,
        eddie
        I would steer clear of doing a mail order tune. To really get your PCM dialed in for max power, the tuner will need to have your car on a dyno and on a wideband. Most tuners have pretty lucrative pricing for tuning an internally stock motor. Call around some local shops with a chassis dyno and the ability to tune a LT1.

Comment

Originally posted by fastTA
          I would steer clear of doing a mail order tune. To really get your PCM dialed in for max power, the tuner will need to have your car on a dyno and on a wideband. Most tuners have pretty lucrative pricing for tuning an internally stock motor. Call around some local shops with a chassis dyno and the ability to tune a LT1.
          From what I've seen dyno tunes cost much more than a mail order tune. I think pcmforless is $250, free retune in the first 60 days, and $60 for every tune there after. A local shop wanted over $500 in north Jersey.

Of course it depends on what mods you have. I needed to have my speedo corrected and wanted the snappier response from a tune, but I didn't have any major mods. pcmforless does dyno tunes and they know what works, and from what I've heard, the same goes for madz28. I won't say it's as good, but considering the price difference, it might make more sense.

Removing and reinstalling the PCM is a easy. Very straightforward. pcmforless can send you a pcm with a refundable core charge for your current pcm so you experience no downtime.

For the gear install pricing. Check out camaroz28.com and see if there are any shop recommendations in your area.

p.s. I don't have experience with madz28 so I can't comment on their service, but they've gotten good comments from many
          Joe K.
          '11 BMW 328i
          '10 Matrix S AWD
          Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

Originally posted by Joe K. 96 Zeee!!
            From what I've seen dyno tunes cost much more than a mail order tune. I think pcmforless is $250, free retune in the first 60 days, and $60 for every tune there after. A local shop wanted over $500 in north Jersey.

Of course it depends on what mods you have. I needed to have my speedo corrected and wanted the snappier response from a tune, but I didn't have any major mods. pcmforless does dyno tunes and they know what works, and from what I've heard, the same goes for madz28. I won't say it's as good, but considering the price difference, it might make more sense.
            You need to shop around some more. Most well established shops with a chassis dyno, wideband o2, and tuning software will usually only charge $100 / hr + $30 - $50 for the wideband o2 services.

An internally stock LT1 is very easy to tune and to lean out. An hour is usually more than sufficient time to tune an internally stock motor.

So you are looking at $150 - $200 at the most to tune your car properly on a chassis dyno with a wideband o2.

Comment

Originally posted by fastTA
              So you are looking at $150 - $200 at the most to tune your car properly on a chassis dyno with a wideband o2.
              Live and learn....

Unfortunately he was the only one in the immediate area and I was more than a little shocked at his response...and his arrogant smart allek tone.
              Joe K.
              '11 BMW 328i
              '10 Matrix S AWD
              Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

I should be gettin my rear gears changed next week. $185 it'll cost, I already have the 3.73 gears (never used) from years ago.
                1987 Monte Carlo SS, Lightning rod equipped. edelbrock intake/carb, heddman headers, moog suspension, dual snorkle air cleaner, no comp/emissions. Body off restoration.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2167110

Comment

Originally posted by Joe K. 96 Zeee!!
                  Live and learn....

Unfortunately he was the only one in the immediate area and I was more than a little shocked at his response...and his arrogant smart allek.
                  Just go bitch slap him and tell him to give you half price.

Comment

Working...
                  X