No announcement yet.

up set about massive power loss with SLP loudmouth

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dude, I slapped the LM on my Z back in Jan. and she runs harder now than she did before. How long has it been since the tranny was serviced? No other noises coming from the car? No surges or anything? When you say factory plugs, do you mean AC Delco plugs or the ORIGINAL AC Delco plugs she rolled out of the factory with? How is the idle? Does the motor recover from a rev properly, i.e. doesn't dip then come back up after 5-10 sec.?
    Steve
    79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
    87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
    93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
    http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

The thread is getting sidetracked with the comparison to Formulaboy's car.... but the important point is that you do not lose 55HP by removing the cat and installing a Loudmouth. And its definitely not a "backpressure" issue, since backpressure isn't really an issue at all on a computer controlled fuel injection setup.

You would definitely feel a 55HP loss, and you wouldn't be breaking the tires loose in 2nd gear if it was a real loss. Did you only do one dyno pull? Do you have the sheet that we can look at? Sounds like they didn't tie it down tight enough.

As far as Formulaboy, the mods make sense.... he had cold air and a catback, along with a few others, and those are worth 30+HP. I picked up 3/10's with a Honker CAI and a Borla catback. 275rwHP isn't out of the question. A lot of the other mods aren't going to affect dyno rwHP at all:

Ram Air w/ K&N - 10-12HP, no gain from ram air on a dyno.
      TransGo Shift Kit w/3 washers - 0HP
      SLP~Shorty headers - not installed
      LoudMouth - 10-12HP
      Air Foil - 1HP
      LineLocks - 0HP
      1LE trans mount - 0HP
      Catco Cat - not installed
      Hypertech 160 & Fan Bypass - I've seen dynos with 10-15HP for the HPP WITH the 160deg t'stat. Questionable what the real gains are.
      Redline Water Wet - fractionalHP
      TB Bypass - 6HP
      MSD~8.5mm Super Conductor's & Blaster coil - 0HP
      FastToys MAF ends - 0HP
      IAT Spoof - questionable, I've seen dynos that lost HP with this.
      LT4KM - 0HP
      BMR~Adj LCA's - 0HP
      Rear sway - 0HP
      Panhard rod - 0HP
      HAL QA1 rear shocks - 0HP
      Random Tech adj TQ arm - 0HP
      Nitto NT555R's - 0HP
      Covered in Zaino - 100HP (OK, I lied about that one )
      NX 50 shot w/ NX goodies - not used
      Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Same Dyno?
        Same variables?
        Any other cars being dyno'd before and after that also show losses?

In any case, I prefer a different method of determining the HP.

Hit it on the last amber, and hang on.

!

Comment

Originally posted by azkkn
          you say you had 275.5 hp at the rear wheels with a stock LT-1? thats like 3% drive train loss. not to doubt you but a 285 hp car with an auto (if you have that) should be right around 238~240 hp at the wheels.
          Maybe on a mustang dyno. On a dynojet the majority of limited bolt-on, 4L60E, stock 10-bolt, 96-97 LT1's that I have seen usually throw down between 265-280 RWHP SAE corrected. Throw on all the bolt ons and that number will even go higher.

Comment

i am leaning towards either the dyno setup being incorrect, or the tranny is slipping.
            2000 WS6 T/A M6. Monster stage 3 clutch, flowmaster cat back, 4.10's, SLP lid, Hurst shifter.
            1996 Mustang GT 5 speed STOCK DD
            past rides:
            1996 Mustang GTS bright tangerine orange
            2003 Mach 1 azure blue drag car (10.90@118 record holder for fastest N/A mach)
            1969 Mach 1 house of colors candy apple red393 stroker 100 shot (10.829@125 in street trim)
            2003 Mach 1 Torched red FRPP aluminator/vortech 666RWHP
            2008 Mustang GT JDM stroker long block, Saleen 2.3 twin screw
            1980 Mustang L 13.7: 418 stroker
            1994 Z28 A4 rebuilt from wreck
            1994 Z28 A4 totaled

Comment

i am leaning towards either the dyno setup being incorrect, or the tranny is slipping.
              I would bet on the dyno being messed up or improperly used.
              Dave M
              Life, liberty, and the pursuit of all who threaten it!

Comment

UPDATE*****

found it, i found my missing HP!!!!! the rear calipers were out all the way and frozen solid, the inner pads were worn right down to the metal backing, and the rotors have grooves in them on that side, on the outter side, the pads are still new looking and so are the rotors.
                2000 WS6 T/A M6. Monster stage 3 clutch, flowmaster cat back, 4.10's, SLP lid, Hurst shifter.
                1996 Mustang GT 5 speed STOCK DD
                past rides:
                1996 Mustang GTS bright tangerine orange
                2003 Mach 1 azure blue drag car (10.90@118 record holder for fastest N/A mach)
                1969 Mach 1 house of colors candy apple red393 stroker 100 shot (10.829@125 in street trim)
                2003 Mach 1 Torched red FRPP aluminator/vortech 666RWHP
                2008 Mustang GT JDM stroker long block, Saleen 2.3 twin screw
                1980 Mustang L 13.7: 418 stroker
                1994 Z28 A4 rebuilt from wreck
                1994 Z28 A4 totaled

Comment

Brakes grabbing would slow things down, along with the power shown on the dyno. Glad you found the problem.

Kevin Villier 2002 SS #186 - 6M with Hurst and "short-stick", T-Tops, navy blue, chrome SS wheels, Bilstein suspension, SS grill, BMR STB, chrome-moly panhard rod and LCA's, SLP SFC's, PPC LT's w/ RT hi-flo cats and hi-flo Y, TEA Stage 1.5 5.3L heads, TR224 cam, ASP pulley, SLP loudmouth, Direct-Flo lid, Holley Power-Shot filter, Mallory polished MAF ends, 4.10 gears.

Louisville, KY

SSOA F02-0186
                  KY F-Bodies Unlimited

Comment

Never mind
                    -Nick-
                    95 A4 Z28

Comment

found it, i found my missing HP!!!!! the rear calipers were out all the way and frozen solid, the inner pads were worn right down to the metal backing, and the rotors have grooves in them on that side, on the outter side, the pads are still new looking and so are the rotors.
                      Awesome man. So, are you a fan again of the LoudMouth? lol I would notice something similar on my Jeep when the pads would get worn (the front left outer pad would stay on the rotor). Glad you found the problem. And what's up with stealin' part of my sig.? lol j/k
                      Steve
                      79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
                      87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
                      93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
                      http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

Working...
                      X