Potato Cannon -vs- Camaro Door

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Potato Cannon -vs- Camaro Door

My brother and I decided to test fire his new potato cannon. The target was my old drivers door. The video is self explanatory, but is over 5mb in size and may take a bit to download.

enjoy.

Hot Potato 2 -vs- Fiberglass Car Door
    Tracy
    2002 C5 M6 Convertible
    1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
    Current Mods:
    SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

You guys sure do have a lot of time on your hands.

Now about the cannon, seems if it can penetrate the fiber glass door it can
    be lethal. Please explain the theory behind it, what propels the potato at such a high rate?
    1993 TA SOLD

-------------------------------------------
    "Unless It's Fatal, It's No Big Deal"

Comment

Originally posted by alenstein

be lethal. Please explain the theory behind it, what propels the potato at such a high rate?
      We use an electric gas grill ignitor to create a spark that ignites the under arm deoderant located in the butt of the cannon. The pressure from the ignition thrusts the potato out the muzzle.

Pretty cool, huh!

As far as it being lethal, I have no idea. It was designed for launching spuds, not as a weapon. You should see it fire a spud across a field at night. It shoots a flame over 2 feet long from the end of the barrel!
      Tracy
      2002 C5 M6 Convertible
      1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
      Current Mods:
      SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Originally posted by TraceZ
        We use an electric gas grill ignitor to create a spark that ignites the under arm deoderant located in the butt of the cannon. The pressure from the ignition thrusts the potato out the muzzle.

Pretty cool, huh!

As far as it being lethal, I have no idea. It was designed for launching spuds, not as a weapon. You should see it fire a spud across a field at night. It shoots a flame over 2 feet long from the end of the barrel!
        Wow, hehe. I am just amazed of how much power it has, did you try using a different combustible liquid?
        1993 TA SOLD

-------------------------------------------
        "Unless It's Fatal, It's No Big Deal"

Comment

Wow, hehe. I am just amazed of how much power it has, did you try using a different combustible liquid?
          We've tried hair spray, but it leaves a sticky residue and fouls up the sparker.

I wouldnt want to try anything too combustible because the PVC pipe will burst under too much stress.
          Tracy
          2002 C5 M6 Convertible
          1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
          Current Mods:

Comment

ive heard, but yet to have try

that aqua net is THE best to use, not sure if it leaves the residue or not

Comment

Glad to see stuff like this doesn't die. We did that 30 years ago, just used rubbing alcohol as a fuel. It's still funny no matter how many times you see it.

Comment

We did it with 6 (steel) Coke cans duct taped together and lighter fluid for fuel. A traditional Zippo lit the flame. Didn't work near as good as Traces, though.

Comment

Originally posted by hovoc
                  ive heard, but yet to have try

that aqua net is THE best to use, not sure if it leaves the residue or not

We started out with Aqua Net years ago. It doesnt work nearly as well as the aerosol deoderant and it leaves a really sticky residue.
                  Tracy
                  2002 C5 M6 Convertible
                  1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
                  Current Mods:

Comment

Propane is what I use, you can buy a small propane injector and PSI gauge from the hardware store, then just screw on one of the small blue bottels of propane and its rapid fire time, I think I can squeeze 3 off in a min if Im only a littel wreck less.

Check out the potato guns here www.spudtech.com , the guy has ever thing, phumatic (air powered), bolt action, propane injected, hella-cool spud guns.
                    1967 VW Bug 2.3L Ford SVO Inline 4 w/ Turbo, Sand-Drag VW Trans Axle, Race this Import.
                    2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Totally Stock

Comment

We also use 1 1/4 sch 80 PVC for the barrel and drive a nail through the bottem of the barrel, this works great as a GOLF ball shooter, It will go through a fence.
                      1967 VW Bug 2.3L Ford SVO Inline 4 w/ Turbo, Sand-Drag VW Trans Axle, Race this Import.

Comment

Bunch of pyro's on here.

I graduated to quick burn flash powder using a brass chamber and barrel. That's when it got a little hairy.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe 1320
                          Bunch of pyro's on here.

I graduated to quick burn flash powder using a brass chamber and barrel. That's when it got a little hairy.
                          WHAT?!?!?!?!?!?
                          And you call us pyro's, your the one with a 5 foot flash coming from your muzzel!

Comment

just to let you guys know, and to save you from the feds, take the video down, and try and delete this post. BY definition you have created a non registered FIREARM. "any device that propels a projectile by means of explosion". not to be a jerk, but this day and age some liberal anti gun guy will send this to all the wrong people, and make such a stink about it that some one will be required to do something about it. i dont want to see my F-buds get nailed. its very trivial in the big picture, but these days, there taking any case that they can prove, and running with it. take my advice as you want to, im just giving you a heads up
                            2000 WS6 T/A M6. Monster stage 3 clutch, flowmaster cat back, 4.10's, SLP lid, Hurst shifter.
                            1996 Mustang GT 5 speed STOCK DD
                            past rides:
                            1996 Mustang GTS bright tangerine orange
                            2003 Mach 1 azure blue drag car (10.90@118 record holder for fastest N/A mach)
                            1969 Mach 1 house of colors candy apple red393 stroker 100 shot (10.829@125 in street trim)
                            2003 Mach 1 Torched red FRPP aluminator/vortech 666RWHP
                            2008 Mustang GT JDM stroker long block, Saleen 2.3 twin screw
                            1980 Mustang L 13.7: 418 stroker
                            1994 Z28 A4 rebuilt from wreck
                            1994 Z28 A4 totaled

Comment

Originally posted by azkkn
                              just to let you guys know, and to save you from the feds, take the video down, and try and delete this post. BY definition you have created a non registered FIREARM. "any device that propels a projectile by means of explosion". not to be a jerk, but this day and age some liberal anti gun guy will send this to all the wrong people, and make such a stink about it that some one will be required to do something about it. i dont want to see my F-buds get nailed. its very trivial in the big picture, but these days, there taking any case that they can prove, and running with it. take my advice as you want to, im just giving you a heads up
                              woow woow wooooooow
                              then how does this guy have a Spud luncher site that is nothing but the selling and how too of spud guns? and his site has been up forever.

And then I found this:

Department of the Treasury

Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms

Washington, DC 20226

As defined in section 921(a) (3) of Title 18, United States Code (USC) the term "firearm" means --

(A) any weapon (including a starter gun) which will or is designed to or may readily be converted to expel a projectile by the action of an explosive;
                              (B) the frame or receiver of any such weapon;
                              (C) any firearm muffler or firearm silencer; or
                              (D) any destructive device. Such term does not include an antique firearm.
                              As defined in 26 USC subsection 5845(f) (2) the term destructive device includes any type of weapon by whatever name known which will, or which may readily be converted to, expel a projectile by the action of an explosive or other propellent, the barrel or barrels of which have a bore of more than one-half inch in diameter, except a shotgun or shotgun shell which the Secretary or his delegate finds is generally recognized as particularly suitable for sporting purposes; and (3) any combination of parts either designed or intended for use in converting any device into a destructive device as defined in subparagraphs (1) and (2) and from which a destructive device may be readily assembled. The term 'destructive device' shall not include any device which is neither designed nor redesigned for use as a weapon; any device, although originally designed for use as a weapon, which is redesigned for use as a signaling, pyrotechnic, line throwing, safety, or similar device; surplus ordnance sold, loaned, or given by the Secretary of the Army pursuant to the provisions of section 4684(2), 4685, or 4686 of title 10 of the USC; or any other device which the Secretary of the Treasury or his delegate finds is not likely to be used as a weapon, or is an antique or is a rifle which the owner intends to use solely for sporting purposes.

It is unlawful for anyone to make or possess a destructive device which is not registered in accordance with the provisions of the National Firearms Act.

We have previously examined that certain muzzle loading devices known as "potato guns." These potato guns are constructed from PVC plastic tubing. They use hair spray or a similar aerosol substance for a propellant, and have some type of spark ignitor. We have determined that these devices, as described, are not firearms provided that they are used solely for launching potatoes for recreational purposes. However, any such devices which are used as weapons or used to launch other forms of projectiles may be firearms and destructive devices as defined.

Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms

Firearms Technology Branch, Room 6450

650 Massachusetts Avenue NW

Washington, DC 20226

Comment

Working...
                              X