Winter suspension modifications?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winter suspension modifications?

I'm planning on doing a pretty major suspension upgrade to my T/A this winter and I was wondering what some of you suspension gurus thought of this set-up. I was planning on going with the eibach spring and bilstien shock combo from SLP. Then I was planning on going with the BMR tubular lower control arms with some LCA relocation brackets and adjustable panhard rod. Then to finish up I want to add the BMR 32mm front swaybar and 21mm rear swaybar.

I really just want to lower the car a little, improve the handling quite a bit over stock, and create a better platform for future power adders. I'm not talking about a suspension that will allow me to pull 1g or hold up to 500 hp but definitely improve the handling. I've already got a strut tower brace, subframe connectors and 17X9.5's with 275/40/17's. Is there anything else you guys would suggest.

Thanks in advance.
    1997 T/A A4 - 3.23's, SLP 2800 stall, JBA headers, Hooker catback, Borla Y-pipe, SLP CAI, Ported and descreened MAF, LT4 KM, 160 thermo, HPP+, TB bypass, SFC's, STB, 17X9.5 AR Torque Thrust II's, BFG KDW

I installed the SLP Level 1 setup on my Z almost 2 years ago. I am very happy with it....has a minor drop to it which is all I wanted as well and the handling is great. Do you plan to do the work yourself?
    95 Z28, A4, 3.23's and some other stuff....

Comment

I decided to go with BMR stuff. You can see in my signature what I used.

Yesterday on my way home I was approaching a traffic light that I wanted to turn left at. The car in front of me was creeping up to the car in front of him and since there was a center median he was blocking me from getting in the turn lane. Finally he rolled up far enough for me to get by (He was about 8 feet from the car in front of him when I went by). The cars in the turn lane had already turned and gone on. The light still had the green arrow on so I got on it a bit. This is a 90 degree left turn that immediately goes into another 90 degree left hand sharp bend in the road then into a 45 degree tight right hand bend. By the time I got to the light I was doing maybe 35-40. I turn the wheel and to my surprise it was no strain on the car at all. No tire squeal or body roll. I got back on the gas because it felt good. LOL I whipped the wheel back to the right for the right bend. It just went without a second thought. I have never had a car that handles as good as the Z does now.
      2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Another vote for BMR. Good stuff!
        1995 Firebird Formula
        (A4 3.23)Ram Air w/ K&N, TransGo Shift Kit w/3 washers ,SLP~Shorty headers, LoudMouth, Air Foil, LineLocks. Catco Cat. Hypertech 160. TB Bypass. MSD~8.5mm. Walbro 255lph. FT MAF ends. LT4KM. BMR~Adj LCA's, Rear sway, Panhard rod. HAL QA1 rear shocks. Random Tech adj TQ arm. Nitto NT555R's. Covered in Zaino. 13.466@103.85 N/A. [1.948 60' 13.410 @ 102.66 11/20/05]

Comment

Don't bypass the Spohn Performance parts.... they are excellent.

One decision you need to make up front... do you want to give preference to cornering, or straightline traction? It comes down to what kind of connections you want on the LCA's and panhard rod.... all poly or all rod ends for drags, one poly + one rod end for cornering. Using the rod ends on both ends will give the best results, but they add noise and harshness compared to the poly. Using poly on both ends can cause the LCA's to "bind" when the body starts to roll.
          Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Those are about the same susp parts that I installed on my car except the swaybar upgrade(but that's next). I went with all Spohn on advice from Injuneer and couldnt be happier. It was a great improvement and a heck of alot of more fun. I would also suggest subframe connectors, they will help out also. Also my next mod.
            97 SS #C007
            Polo Green w/ tan leather A4
            SLP headers, Loudmouth, Koni SA, Spohn LCA, Spohn PHR, Spohn relo brackets, pro-kit, B&M Stage II Shift Kit, air foil, 160 therm, LT4 KM, BFG KDW

Comment

Don't forget an adjustable torque arm. The factory piece is too flimsy and no adjustments. I have a full BMR setup and am very pleased. Especially considering the pricing.

Comment

Thanks for the advice guys. In response to a couple of comments, I do plan on doing all of it myself except for the front end. I have a friend who owns an exhaust and brake shop who will do that part.

Injuneer, I haven't really looked at the spohn products, but I will since a few of you have suggested them. Also I hadn't even thought of the connections, but I appreciate your knowledge on the subject. I guess I want a little bit of both worlds, cornering and straight line performance, although this car hasn't seen track time in nearly 4 years.

4THGEN Z how low did the SLP stage I springs drop your car. I'm looking for something that will reduce the gap between the tire and the wheel well by about an inch. I've got a totally stock suspension and 17x9.5" American Racing Torque Thrust II's and it doesn't look bad, but I'd like for it to have a more aggressive stance, as well as the performance benefits.

Once again thanks for the help.
                1997 T/A A4 - 3.23's, SLP 2800 stall, JBA headers, Hooker catback, Borla Y-pipe, SLP CAI, Ported and descreened MAF, LT4 KM, 160 thermo, HPP+, TB bypass, SFC's, STB, 17X9.5 AR Torque Thrust II's, BFG KDW

Comment

Working...
                X