Emissions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Emissions

Thankfully emissions testing has come to my area yet. A previous owner removed some of the emission components from my '82 trans am and also bypassed the EGR valve. I want to get the emission working in my car, however, my dad believes that it's pointless. He says that it would takes thousands to replace the emissions. I calculated the cost, it would cost about $1500, not including shipping, to put all new emissions in. This is out of my price range. I just want to know what emissions have been removed and what emissions in the car still work. Does anyone have a procedure for testing the components and fixing the EGR valve? I'd really appreciate it.
    1982 Trans am w/ t-tops
    V8 5.0L 305 H out of an '86 Caprice
    previous owners abused it!!!

Woah... this is a new one... somebody who wants to put emissions controls ON his f-body?????
    Former Ride: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 345 rwhp, 360 rwtq... stock internally.

Current Ride: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT Limited - spec.B #312 of 500

Comment

I would give almost anything to have my car in original condition. The emission are removed, the distributor cap is for a truck, the engine's from a caprice, and god knows what else has been changed!
      1982 Trans am w/ t-tops

Comment

retard the timing
        use DRY GAS
        use that guaranteed to pass stuff

lower your car so low it is below the limit to go on the rollers. IF your car is too low, in some states, they cannot do the rolling test because putting the car on the rollers will cause damage

also there is a $$$ limit on attempts passing emissions. If you spend X-amount of money to pass emissions, and still fail, they must pass you (at least here in RI its $500 )

best advice I could give you, get in good with the local smog shop
        Rhode Island Red *Lurker since 1997*

2002 Firehawk #0035/1503 !Cags | !Air | !PCV | Airborn-coated Kooks LT's | Powerbond UD Pulley | Custom Cam | Ported Oil pump | LS2 timing chain | Comp 918's | Hardened push rods | LSS | BMR STB | SLP Bolt-on SFC's | drill mod |TB Bypass | Ported TB | Custom Dyno tuning | 160* thermostat | LS7 Clutch
        Ordered: May 1, 2001 Built: June 1, 2001 Delivered August 25, 2001
        pics and info

Comment

Power Drain & Stalling

There's a major power drain on my trans am. If it for the weekend the battery is dead. It has died on me a few times recently, always at the corner one house down the street from my house. Before dying, the idle is somewhat rough, and i'm using extra stuff; first it was the defrosters, then this mourning i think it was the headlights. When the dying keeps occuring, turning the headlights or defrosters off will cause the car to run fine. The problem is that when crossing a busy street, you hope you dont need that second chance. Another thing is that, when the car is warm, the defrosters will act as cruise control, they will maintain high levels RPM. The battery was bought back in June of this year, and the alternator was tested yesterday, it had no problems with it. What could cause these problems? I thought it was the alternator but i guess i was wrong.
          1982 Trans am w/ t-tops

Comment

Originally posted by Rhode Island Red
            retard the timing
            use DRY GAS
            use that guaranteed to pass stuff
            Agree...i know a couple people who have done this to get by emissions here in illinois.

I don't know the illinois law on lowered cars for a rolling test, so i cant help ya on that one.

As for your power drain problem, a buddy of mine had a similar problem not too long ago on his 84 firebird, but not as extreme as yours. It wound up being a grounded wire i believe I am in no way an electrical expert though, so i'm sure someone else may be able to shed a little more light on that subject.

BTW, where in illinois are you?

~Chris
            black 95 t/a, a4, beefed up tranny w/ higher stall converter, transgo shift kit, trans temp gauge, trans cooler, richmond 3.73's, loudmouth, hypertech programmer, 160 thermo, descreened maf, TB bypass and airfoil, trick flow intake elbow, underdrive pulleys, moroso cai, edelbrock panhard rod, bmr stb, slp sfc's, fiberglass firehawk hood, hawk pads, taylor wires, ngk plugs, royal purple fluids,...and hopefully more to come

Comment

My car's low enough at the original height! In can't do a turn-about in many drive ways without hearing something scrap!
              1982 Trans am w/ t-tops

Comment

It's not just to pass the test it's to know that my car is better all around. ALTHOUGH SOME MAY THINK THAT REMOVING EMISSIONS IS BETTER!
                1982 Trans am w/ t-tops

Comment

Working...
                X