headers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• headers

What is better long tube or shorty headers? What are some goos brands to look at?

I went with Pacesetter Longtubes. Have not put em on yet, but they will make more power than shorties. They are probably much harder to install than shorties. I got a great deal on ebay, headers coated with Y-Pipe shipped to my door for $540. Long Tubes usually have problems passing emissions.
    Just my .02
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside thoroughly used up and totally worn out, loudly proclaiming......WOW WHAT A RIDE!!!

Comment

we dont have emissions down here thank god

Comment

Hooker Long tubes are the best buy for a LT setup and can be had w/ or w/o emmisions or o2 sensors.

300th post baby
        1967 VW Bug 2.3L Ford SVO Inline 4 w/ Turbo, Sand-Drag VW Trans Axle, Race this Import.
        2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Totally Stock

Comment

Originally posted by Squat13
          Hooker Long tubes are the best buy for a LT setup and can be had w/ or w/o emmisions or o2 sensors.

300th post baby

How exactly are you going to go without O2 sensors?
          Former Ride: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 345 rwhp, 360 rwtq... stock internally.

Current Ride: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT Limited - spec.B #312 of 500

Comment

Originally posted by Jay 02 TA ws6
            o2 feedback isn't all that great unless it's a wideband setup. Most computers only make minor adjustments to the afr because of the o2 sensors on factory cars. I heard something about simulators on these cars, to prevent an ses light though.
            97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

Comment

Originally posted by raroZ28
              o2 feedback isn't all that great unless it's a wideband setup. Most computers only make minor adjustments to the afr because of the o2 sensors on factory cars. I heard something about simulators on these cars, to prevent an ses light though.

The sims go in place of the O2 sensors post-cat. They basically tell the computer that the cats are functioning... that's why you can put dummy sims in there. You still have the real deal in front of the cats.

I realize widebands provide much more accurate information for A/F ratio... but I can't imagine how an engine would run with absolutely no O2 sensor feedback at all...
              Former Ride: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 345 rwhp, 360 rwtq... stock internally.

Comment

On a TPI engine with no O2 you just run in open loop forever, Iwould imagine that LT1 and LS1 both have a program adjustment to run if they die, however unlikely that is that two would die at once but Im sure GM programed it for that eventuality. You would of cource throw a code constantly.

Eric W.

89 Firebird Formula WS6
                Accel/Lingenfelter Super Ram
                6.2L/382.97 ci
                Custom PROM Dyno tuned
                WCT-5 speed
                BW 9-bolt Posi 3.45
                Boss MS 18" Rims
                Headman Headers 1 5/8 Ceramic Coated
                Custom Dual exhaust
                1LE upgrade
                Custom Temperature / Navigation Rear View Mirror
                In a constant state of upgrade!

Comment

Originally posted by DeWynter
                  On a TPI engine with no O2 you just run in open loop forever, Iwould imagine that LT1 and LS1 both have a program adjustment to run if they die, however unlikely that is that two would die at once but Im sure GM programed it for that eventuality. You would of cource throw a code constantly.
                  Ahhh, yes... that makes sense.

Comment

I am more than happy with the performance of my SLP coated Shorty's. Sure long tubes would be nice, but NJ has tough emissions, potholes that can swallow whole cars.... I only got a few runs with them on, gains - 3+mph, and 3 tenths. I got false knock @ 93mph, and pulled close to 7% of timing, and also was nearly a tenth off on my 60 foot too. So there is some more left to gain. I got my dyno before, so when I go back I will know the exact gains. I am guessing 30-40 hp @ the wheels. Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought 10rwhp is worth about a tenth.

I love the spark plug access now. 1.5hrs to change em. #3 is a pain, especially getting the boot on.
                    1995 Firebird Formula
                    (A4 3.23)Ram Air w/ K&N, TransGo Shift Kit w/3 washers ,SLP~Shorty headers, LoudMouth, Air Foil, LineLocks. Catco Cat. Hypertech 160. TB Bypass. MSD~8.5mm. Walbro 255lph. FT MAF ends. LT4KM. BMR~Adj LCA's, Rear sway, Panhard rod. HAL QA1 rear shocks. Random Tech adj TQ arm. Nitto NT555R's. Covered in Zaino. 13.466@103.85 N/A. [1.948 60' 13.410 @ 102.66 11/20/05]

Comment

Originally posted by Jay 02 TA ws6
                      Yeah, like I said, even with a good o2, the computer only uses that to make very minor adjustments... I mean, you could have your o2's go bad, and still run your car fine. Gas mileage might suffer a tad, maybe the afr might be off a bit, but that's about it. I am going with a stand alone setup that eliminates the o2.
                      97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

Comment

Originally posted by raroZ28
                        Yeah, like I said, even with a good o2, the computer only uses that to make very minor adjustments... I mean, you could have your o2's go bad, and still run your car fine. Gas mileage might suffer a tad, maybe the afr might be off a bit, but that's about it. I am going with a stand alone setup that eliminates the o2.
                        I do hope you are seriously kidding.

Comment

Originally posted by fastTA
                          I do hope you are seriously kidding.
                          No, depending on the ECU, you can run without o2 feedback. It's been done and proven. I am putting a 4 injector conversion to replace the stock 2 injector tb on my conquest, and the software that controls it has an option for o2, but isn't necessary. For a daily driver, I'm not sure. But again, no, I am not joking. I'm not sure what they're car is running, but I believe it's upwards of 600 hp. No o2 feedback.

Comment

WHO WANTS SOME???

No o2 feedback on that bad boy.

Comment

Everyone assumed you meant running your z-28 without the "pre-cat" o2 sensors since this is a f-body forum afterall. And no-one said it couldn't be done either, but given your mods on your z-28 it didn't seem beneficial to you in any way to eliminate the LTFT capabilities based on closed loop feedback.

Comment

Working...
                              X