Thinking of buying a '00 or '01 TA

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking of buying a '00 or '01 TA

We've been looking for a car for my wife. She's decided the camry's, accord's, etc. are just too bland and likes how the TA's look. Sounds great to me, but I wanted to make sure she understood the tradeoff so I told her she can expect it to break more often. So she asked me what would break and when - Heck! I don't know. So that's why I'm here. If we buy a 2000 or 2001 with 30-50K miles what can I expect to have problems with (assuming it's taken care of and driven relatively leisurely)? And about when did you start having problems?

Thanks,

Oldbutspry

The only thing that mine broke was the bank, with the current gas prices. 40-50 a week daily driven.
    97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

Comment

Good point...

That's a good point that I didn't think to ask. We live in a rural area and most of our driving is 50 to 55mph. I'm expecting 22 to 24 mpg with a light foot. Is that realistic? What mileage do you get on the interstate at 75 mph?

Comment

The only thing that breaks on an LS1 car that has been taken care of is the window motor. Sounds like you are victim of the "imports have superior quality" brainwashing. It's OK ... Truth be told, these cars are pretty damn reliable. So long as you aren't driving them in snow and ice, lol.

Just out of curiosity, how much are you looking to spend? I am trying to sell mine before spring time...
        Former Ride: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 345 rwhp, 360 rwtq... stock internally.

Current Ride: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT Limited - spec.B #312 of 500

Comment

Originally posted by oldbutspry
          That's a good point that I didn't think to ask. We live in a rural area and most of our driving is 50 to 55mph. I'm expecting 22 to 24 mpg with a light foot. Is that realistic? What mileage do you get on the interstate at 75 mph?
          If you drive with a light foot on the interstate, you'll see 28+ mpg. Pretty incredible, really.
          Former Ride: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 345 rwhp, 360 rwtq... stock internally.

Comment

A lot of people have problems with the opti. And yes, the window motors are a very common problem too.
            '95 White Z28 M6 Cold air intake with K&N air filter, air foil, flowmaster cat-back, eaton posi, motive 4.10s, aluminum driveshaft, "skip shift" eliminator, '97 Z28 chrome wheels, hypertech programmed

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron4TAMU
              A lot of people have problems with the opti. And yes, the window motors are a very common problem too.
              No opti on LS1 cars.

Comment

OOPS! My mistake.
                '95 White Z28 M6 Cold air intake with K&N air filter, air foil, flowmaster cat-back, eaton posi, motive 4.10s, aluminum driveshaft, "skip shift" eliminator, '97 Z28 chrome wheels, hypertech programmed

Comment

Reliability

That's great that they are reliable. I just remember reading something about 5 or 6 years ago about annoying problems with Camaros. Didn't pay a lot of attention because I wasn't looking then. I'm looking at paying about 15k. My wife definitely wants an auto (yuck, but oh well, nobody's perfect) that is red or black. She hasn't driven one yet (just sat in it) so I need to wait and see if she feels the same after driving it. I told her they're fast but she has nothing to compare it to (except her '87 Sentra and a 300E she briefly drove).

Now that I know they are reliable I will probably encourage her to get one. After all, I expect it will be mine next time we get her a car.

When did they stop using the opti?

Do the TA's have traction control or is it an option? Just thinking it might be good for my wife when she's driving in the rain. Do they drive ok in the rain?

Comment

Originally posted by oldbutspry
                    That's great that they are reliable. I just remember reading something about 5 or 6 years ago about annoying problems with Camaros. Didn't pay a lot of attention because I wasn't looking then. I'm looking at paying about 15k. My wife definitely wants an auto (yuck, but oh well, nobody's perfect) that is red or black. She hasn't driven one yet (just sat in it) so I need to wait and see if she feels the same after driving it. I told her they're fast but she has nothing to compare it to (except her '87 Sentra and a 300E she briefly drove).

Now that I know they are reliable I will probably encourage her to get one. After all, I expect it will be mine next time we get her a car.

When did they stop using the opti?

Do the TA's have traction control or is it an option? Just thinking it might be good for my wife when she's driving in the rain. Do they drive ok in the rain?
                    They drive fine in the rain, just stay out of the gas. 98+ they use the engine called the LS1, and that's when they stopped using the opti.

Traction control is a waste, IMO, I wouldn't get it.

Too bad you don't want a stick... that's what mine is, and it's black ... pics here: http://www.f-body.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8764

As far as how fast the car is, LOL, if all you have to compare it to is a Sentra... LOL... HAHAHAHA... oh wow, get ready for a white knuckle ride.

Comment

Interested in your TA

Hey Jay just wondering what you were looking to get for your TA cuz i might be interested, also how many miles
                      1998 TA
                      1970 GTO Judge
                      1975 TA 6.6
                      1970 Mach 1

Comment

Originally posted by birdman83
                        Hey Jay just wondering what you were looking to get for your TA cuz i might be interested, also how many miles
                        If you are really looking at a 02 Firehawk with 16K miles for $21K, I can't come even close to that, boss...

I'm looking in the range of $19K... which is still about $3K less than the cheapest I've seen a dealer advertise an '02 with similar mileage. 42,000 miles, and about $3K worth of modifications, 345 horsepower at the wheels. Stored winters, interior still actually has some new car smell left.

Comment

firehawk

ya that firehawk had been in an accident and had alot of the body panels replaced, so i don't think that i want to go that way, cars that have been in accidents always have problems that come up when you least expect it
                          1998 TA
                          1970 GTO Judge
                          1975 TA 6.6
                          1970 Mach 1

Comment

Originally posted by birdman83
                            ya that firehawk had been in an accident and had alot of the body panels replaced, so i don't think that i want to go that way, cars that have been in accidents always have problems that come up when you least expect it
                            Oh, OK, well then that changes things. I'd be happy to set up a time when you can come take a look at the car if you want.

Comment

Yes, these cars get good gas mileage with the 6 speed. I mean, crusin' 90 down the freeway in 6th gear is like 2K rpm Excellent freeway miles, but for neighborhood driving, stop and go... You'll be lucky to get 20 MPG. More like 15-18.

You want an auto though. What kinda gas do those get?
                              97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

Comment

Working...
                              X