No announcement yet.

Thinking of buying a '00 or '01 TA

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

134K on the clock with no problems....windows still roll up fine. Everything works like clock work...

Other than routine stuff...reliable as a rock.

I get around 24-25 mpg...but my best is 28...mostly highway driving though.

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
    Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
    B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
    Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
    Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

Sentra to Trans am, no comparison there. The LS1 is a beast, it may be too much for her since she has been driving a sentra. A Firebird (3.8 v6) may be a better choice for her. They cost alot less and cost less for gas. I have an LT1 so im not sure about LS1 but mine doesnt like cheap gas so if you get the trans am u'll be runnin 93 unless u want to to knock. Its your choice man, If she wants the beast then get her one, im sure you would enjoy the Ls1 more.

Comment

If gas mileage is really a condiseration then there are far better cars than V8 powered F-bodies. They get very good gas mileage for the amount of power they put out but a Honda or Toyota would suit someone looking at gas mileage better. Autos probably get 17/24 or so.
        Silver 02 WS-6, 6 speed, Corsa cat-back, SLP lid, K&N filter, BMR STB, !CAGs, Lou's short stick, MSD wires, MTI "Hammer" cam, ASP underdrive pulley, Hooker LTs, Hooker ORY, Comp 918s, TR pushrods, UMI Sfcs, UMI LCAs, NGK TR55s, Hotchkis springs

Dyno'd 4/24: 330.9 RWHP/ 344.8 RWTQ (Before cam, headers, and pulley)

Dyno'd 5/1: 383.5 RWHP / 380.5 RWTQ (393 actual RWHP)

Comment

And Jay please knock off the selling the T/A talk - at least until we get a chance to line them up
          Silver 02 WS-6, 6 speed, Corsa cat-back, SLP lid, K&N filter, BMR STB, !CAGs, Lou's short stick, MSD wires, MTI "Hammer" cam, ASP underdrive pulley, Hooker LTs, Hooker ORY, Comp 918s, TR pushrods, UMI Sfcs, UMI LCAs, NGK TR55s, Hotchkis springs

Comment

Originally posted by casey02ws6
            And Jay please knock off the selling the T/A talk - at least until we get a chance to line them up

The selling the T/A talk is for real, and here's why:

Depending on how much I can sell it for, I have roughly $10K in equity in it... If I can find a slightly used C5 Z06 for around 30K... I can put 10K down and drop my monthly payments by about $100 or so...

Trans Am for Z06 and CHEAPER monthly payments?????? Where do I sign?

Still knocking around some other options, Volvo included, but I am pretty darn sure that I will be moving the Trans Am by spring time.
            Former Ride: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 345 rwhp, 360 rwtq... stock internally.

Current Ride: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT Limited - spec.B #312 of 500

Comment

ZO6 , Volvo - and I know all about the Volvo you are talking about - let's not go there again.

Comment

ummm yea you said

traction control
                does it preform in the rain

umm yea not to downgrade the f-bodies i love mine to death and have learned that they will slide very easily and also i think traction control is really bad i mean if ur sliding and the asr kicks on it pushes the gas peddle up on mine which can totally freak you out if your not expecting it.

so as for traction control if your responsible with the car this is relativly unneeded in my opinion

but you cant get over how you look cruising around with the t-tops out in an f-body

but yea i havnet had any problems with mine besides the window motors at 92000 which i still am yet to fix thats a winter break goal along with fixing my back right light that burnt out just 1 of the 2
                1997 Camaro Z28 Pacesetter Long tubes, ORY-Pipe, Accel 30# Injectors, MSD Cap & Rotor, MSD Super Conductor Wires, NGK Irdium TR55IV Plugs, and Borla Catback. Madtuner Tune, SLP High/Low fan switch, NGK o2 sensors

New Longblock at 110,947 and everything above.

Comment

Originally posted by casey02ws6
                  ZO6 , Volvo - and I know all about the Volvo you are talking about - let's not go there again.
                  I just talked to a friend of mine at the local used Chevy dealer... he said not to wait until spring to move on a Z06, because they will pull a premium then. Plus, I would love to take a month's break from car payments and insurance on the WS6. So it looks like I have extra motivation to move my WS6 here reasonably quickly...

The only thing is he said he would have to get it on a dealer trade which means he can't really cut me that great of a deal. He said he'll give it to me at his cost + $500, which I think is fair... but what do you guys think is a fair price on a used C5 Z06 with low mileage? Could be 02, 03, or 04... I'm thinking mid-to-low 30s. Am I in the ballpark?
                  Former Ride: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 345 rwhp, 360 rwtq... stock internally.

Comment

Originally posted by birdman83
                    ya that firehawk had been in an accident and had alot of the body panels replaced, so i don't think that i want to go that way, cars that have been in accidents always have problems that come up when you least expect it

I want to move this thing, Birdman. Let's talk. PM me.

Comment

Got it....

Well, we got a 2000 TA WS6 last night. Found it in Atlanta. It has 39000 miles and it dark blue with black interior. It's not perfect but it is pretty close. My wife loves it. The salesman claimed the previous owner had put a flowmaster exhaust on it. I'm a little skeptical but it does seem to sound a little throatier than the other TA's we drove but maybe that's just the power of suggestion. I looked under it and it looks stock to me. I'm thinking I should see a logo or something. Anyway doesn't really matter because my wife is happy.

Oh yeah, the only bad part of the experience - when we are leaving after doing all the paperwork we get THE key and remote. We ask for another and they said it only came with one. DOH - I never thought about asking about that. And then today I was reading the manual and it occurred to me that I only have an ignition key - no door/t-top key! Jeez!

Oh well, I can get a door key made. But how much is it going to set me back getting another remote and ignition key? Do I have to get them from the dealer or is there a lower cost alternative?

Also gotta get floor mats - any suggestions where I can get some nice ones that fit good for a good price?

Thanks,

Oldbutspry

Comment

Photo

Photo of TA
                        Attached Files

Comment

Good Choice
                          1997 Camaro Z28 Pacesetter Long tubes, ORY-Pipe, Accel 30# Injectors, MSD Cap & Rotor, MSD Super Conductor Wires, NGK Irdium TR55IV Plugs, and Borla Catback. Madtuner Tune, SLP High/Low fan switch, NGK o2 sensors

New Longblock at 110,947 and everything above.

Comment

Nice

Looks sweet.
                            95 Beater Bird
                            97 Grand Prix GTP
                            03 VW Jetta

"The problem is not in looking stock, but in being stock"

Comment

You can get great custom floor mats from usspeedonline.com you can get them in whatever color you want and embrodered with the firebird emblem or ws6 or pretty much whatever you want. I got some for my z, they were a bit pricey in my eyes but im a 16 year old that has a crappy job makin 6.75 an hour.
                              Also I would like to say that I had to get some keys made for my z. The ignition key was about 25 bucks and the door keys were less than 5
                              Originally posted by oldbutspry
                              Well, we got a 2000 TA WS6 last night. Found it in Atlanta. It has 39000 miles and it dark blue with black interior. It's not perfect but it is pretty close. My wife loves it. The salesman claimed the previous owner had put a flowmaster exhaust on it. I'm a little skeptical but it does seem to sound a little throatier than the other TA's we drove but maybe that's just the power of suggestion. I looked under it and it looks stock to me. I'm thinking I should see a logo or something. Anyway doesn't really matter because my wife is happy.

Oh yeah, the only bad part of the experience - when we are leaving after doing all the paperwork we get THE key and remote. We ask for another and they said it only came with one. DOH - I never thought about asking about that. And then today I was reading the manual and it occurred to me that I only have an ignition key - no door/t-top key! Jeez!

Oh well, I can get a door key made. But how much is it going to set me back getting another remote and ignition key? Do I have to get them from the dealer or is there a lower cost alternative?

Also gotta get floor mats - any suggestions where I can get some nice ones that fit good for a good price?

Thanks,

Oldbutspry

Comment

Nice ride congrats

Welcome to the world of "Pontiac the other F-body"
                                1997 Trans AM WS6 vert
                                1 of 463
                                LT4 knock module
                                D. Goetz sub-frame connectors.
                                strut tower brace
                                SLP fan switch
                                160* t/stat
                                Drilled and slotted rotors/ Earls SS brake lines/ Hawk pads
                                DMS 1.5" progressive lowering springs

Pictures Here

Comment

Working...
                                X