No announcement yet.

Rear End Upgrade?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Then I think I'll go with the Zexel-Torsen unit. I like having the traction through the corners. I'm assuming it still hooks up pretty well in a straightaway, right? Just not as good as the Eaton? Thanks for the advice on the spacer Aaron and Kev. Would it be a good idea then to just buy the parts and take it to a reputable shop? Labor shouldn't be too bad on that I don't think. But, is it possible to swap in a 8.5" 10-bolt off of a G-body?
    Steve
    79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
    87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
    93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
    http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

Originally posted by fastTA
      The 12 bolt definitely takes less HP to turn. If you are experienced, doing a gear swap takes no more or less time to do with a 9" or 12 bolt. You still have to unbolt and slide the axles out to remove the centersection.
      but with the 9" the entire carrier assembly can be removed at once.... that includes the carrier, pinion, ringes and center section. On a 12-bolt everything is intalled inside the housing and is not removable unless torn down......

....... so with a 9" you can have 2 seprate carrier units, one low geared with a spool, the other high geared with a posi. you can change the assembly a hell of a lot quicker that you can install a new pinion and ring in a 12-bolt. Plus you woln't need a degree to make it run right.
      1967 VW Bug 2.3L Ford SVO Inline 4 w/ Turbo, Sand-Drag VW Trans Axle, Race this Import.
      2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Totally Stock

Comment

Originally posted by Steve93Z
        Would it be a good idea then to just buy the parts and take it to a reputable shop? Labor shouldn't be too bad on that I don't think.
        Yeah, get all the parts gathered up and take it to a "reputable" shop. I'd ask around and see if you can find a place that does a lot of rear work. As for the labor...just a guess...I'd say between 200-300 bucks. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
        '95 White Z28 M6 Cold air intake with K&N air filter, air foil, flowmaster cat-back, eaton posi, motive 4.10s, aluminum driveshaft, "skip shift" eliminator, '97 Z28 chrome wheels, hypertech programmed

Comment

Working...
        X