Scary Camaro Moment

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

glad you re ok

this happened to me two years ago in december. Clear road but there was sand mixed with ice on the road s edges and i caught it in a left turn (too much speed, around 90 , foolish) and the rear end went . I managed not to spin , tires screeching, but after a few tryes I had to turn right because I was all over the road and a big truck coming towards me So I flew over a big ditch, good thing there werent trees there, and landed like ten meters away in the snow and stopped sideways with no marks behind the car!! scariest experience , I remember I was thinking that the car is gone, I ll roll it over and I just got it
    be careful, I m glad you didnt get hurt, and the camaro too
    93 t/a A4 3.23s
    95 Formula A4 2.73s >>>>93 t/a 3.23 , !AIR, !cat, !A/C, hotchkis lowering springs, kyb adj shocks, DD
    99 Camaro z28 a4, 2.73, !AIR, !A/C
    99 Alfa Romeo 166 3.0 v6, red
    97 3.8 v6 A4 camaro, hardtop
    93 Camaro Z28 M6, hotcam kit, 150 shot, twin plate clutch, eibach pro kit and bilstein shocks, swaybars etc
    00 audi a6 4.2 40 valve v8

Comment

I wish I could get a beater.... the odometer is really rolling up on the Camaro and I cant keep it clean - or in any condition that resembles clean. i just dont have the money.

And I've even had people at work tell me (long before the snow..) that I'm in the wrong car for this area!

As for the sig, yeah I need to update that. I did live in the south but grew up in Michigan before FWD cars were the rage. I dont remember my parents big ol' Oldsmobile having probs driving - I do seem to remember them getting stuck in parking lots but those cars always got around on the crappy Detroit roads. What's different about the f-body? all i can think is that the old RWD car had more narrow tires, not touring tires but at 3300lbs the Camaro is roughly about the same weight i think.

On a related note, now when the temp is around 0 and i start the engine it makes a loud whine or screaming noise for about 30 seconds...every now and then it comes back while driving but goes away. The belt is fairly new and in good condition. I dont know what else it could be - alternator bearings? This seems to have started at about the same time as my little incident but then the real sub-zero weather began at about that time too.

bruce
      Bruce
      01 Camaro

Comment

Originally posted by 01Y87
        I dont remember my parents big ol' Oldsmobile having probs driving - I do seem to remember them getting stuck in parking lots but those cars always got around on the crappy Detroit roads. What's different about the f-body? all i can think is that the old RWD car had more narrow tires, not touring tires but at 3300lbs the Camaro is roughly about the same weight i think.

On a related note, now when the temp is around 0 and i start the engine it makes a loud whine or screaming noise for about 30 seconds...every now and then it comes back while driving but goes away. The belt is fairly new and in good condition. I dont know what else it could be - alternator bearings? This seems to have started at about the same time as my little incident but then the real sub-zero weather began at about that time too.

bruce
        First, do yourself a favor and buy a $300 POS to drive around in the snow.
        Second, many old timers with rear wheel drive cars would load up the trunk with sandbags to keep weight over the driving wheels for traction. The noise could be from the alternator, tensioner, power steering pump, and on V6 cars there is the water pump driven off the belt. Next time it whines, try removing the belt and see what happens.

Comment

I'm in WI too, more near Milwaukee. Anyway, a guy at work just totaled his '98 TA when the first snow hit. Hi did like you - back end came out, a 360 in the interstate traffic, bounced off the median, then t-boned by a lady in a SUV, who was apparently hurt pretty bad in the wreck. His car is a mess and he had to go to the junkyard to pry open the hatch with a crowbar to get his $10,000 of stereo/video junk out of there. Just this fall, I told him he needs a second car if he wants to keep his TA nice. I guess now he wishes he put some of that money into a second car instead of video.

Comment

Working...
          X