nitrous timing question....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nitrous timing question....

n2o is not going to be used constantly, but running a 125 shot should I worry about setting back the timing at all?

AMF RACING: Friends don't let friends drive junk

01 black ss #0966
    lou's short stick, slp lid and cold air, smooth bellow, centerforce, loudmouth, 3 in. y pipe, flowtech long tubes, BMR STB, SLP 4.10's, polished zr-1s, MSD wires, T-6 plugs, and upcoming goodies....Tee-Hee

There are *rules* for retarding timing, but in reality your knock sensor will catch it. I run stock timing on my car and have never had a problem. Now if you get up to about 175 shot or so, you may want to start retarding it so the knock sensor doesn't have to do all the work.
    "No, officer, that bottle is my onboard Halon system"

Comment

Make sure you use NGK TR-6's. I think they are supposed to be gapped at .035 for 125-150 shot. Also, don't forget WOT switch, FPSS, and Window switch, and bottle heater.
      1995 Firebird Formula
      (A4 3.23)Ram Air w/ K&N, TransGo Shift Kit w/3 washers ,SLP~Shorty headers, LoudMouth, Air Foil, LineLocks. Catco Cat. Hypertech 160. TB Bypass. MSD~8.5mm. Walbro 255lph. FT MAF ends. LT4KM. BMR~Adj LCA's, Rear sway, Panhard rod. HAL QA1 rear shocks. Random Tech adj TQ arm. Nitto NT555R's. Covered in Zaino. 13.466@103.85 N/A. [1.948 60' 13.410 @ 102.66 11/20/05]

Comment

im not an expert on the subject so do quote me on this but from my experience from something like this is dont worry about timing just add some octane booster instead or use like an 100+ octane that should help out a little more.

Comment

thanks all, yes I have already ordered the ngk t6's I ran n20 on a 97 z I had a while ago but only a 75 shot so I was curious, thanks

AMF RACING: Friends don't let friends drive junk

01 black ss #0966
          lou's short stick, slp lid and cold air, smooth bellow, centerforce, loudmouth, 3 in. y pipe, flowtech long tubes, BMR STB, SLP 4.10's, polished zr-1s, MSD wires, T-6 plugs, and upcoming goodies....Tee-Hee

Comment

I always thought for every 50 hp you takeout 2 degrees of timing to be safe. you shouldnt let the knock sensor do that for you it could be harmful to the engine by letting it knock before you take out timing but im no expert.
            99' TA 347 H/C MS4, QTP headers, 9' 4.11's
            11.05@ 125 on motor, 9.80 @142 on nitrous

Comment

I know that *technically* you are supposed to take timing out, but particularly with the LT1 engine, the knock sensor is so sensitive it actually retards timing with false knock, so it can easily handle the requirements of a small shot of nitrous in that amount (100-125).

I know people that have an LT4 knock sensor on an LT1 car with nitrous and no timing taken out at all and have run them for a long time with no problems whatsoever.
              "No, officer, that bottle is my onboard Halon system"

Comment

Working...
              X