F body means...?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F body means...?

Sorry all, I was trying to be quiet as a mouse in here, scrolling through the threads, used the search, not turning up anything so I have to speak up and show my ignorance. (cut me a little slack... I do drive a Mustang) Probably common knowledge for ya'll: what, exactly, does F body stand for? Thanks for your time
    -bear
    '93 Cobra - '89 5.0 LX - '91 GT
    Pic's etc --> HERE

8 views, and of you knows? Or just not talking to the Ford guy? Guess I shouldn't have joined a Camaro/Firebird forum with my usual handle...
    Pic's etc --> HERE

Comment

F was the designation given to the chasis by GM when they started the Camaro. Hence "F-Body", It doesn't really mean anything significant, its just how GM referred to the platform.

And welcome to the board. Does your Stang have a 427 in it?

Randy
      99 TA "RBLUTA" - NBM, M6, Whisper Lid, SLP Fan Switch, 160* Thermo, SLP LM, BMR STB & LCA's.

***SOLD*** It will be missed!!
      93 Formula "FRMLAV8" -383 Stroker

Comment

F-body is just the name for the platform that the Camaros/Firebirds were built on. Kind of like the Sunfire/Cavalier are J-bodies ( I think ) It just refers to the platform, the "F" doesn't stand for anything that I know of. I hope this helps.

2000 Black Camaro w/3800 V6. Hotchkis STB, Whisper Lid, K&N, Flowmaster exhaust.

Comment

Thanks guys. I suppose it helps. I was sure it was something to do with the platform, just figured it stood for something profound.

No, 243,000 miles on the original 302. The 427 is on the bench for the 5.0 to grenade (and for my checkbook to expand...)
          Pic's etc --> HERE

Comment

I always thought it was interesting that both the Camaro/Firebird and the great nemesis the Mustang were both "F" bodies. F is for "Fox" on the Mustang. I thought I remember the F standing for something on the Camaro/Firebird but I can't remember what it is.
            2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Originally posted by stangbear427
              Thanks guys. I suppose it helps. I was sure it was something to do with the platform, just figured it stood for something profound.

No, 243,000 miles on the original 302. The 427 is on the bench for the 5.0 to grenade (and for my checkbook to expand...)
              Which 427 do you have for it? The "Wedge" big block, a bored out something or the SOHC motor?
              2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff 95 Z28
                I always thought it was interesting that both the Camaro/Firebird and the great nemesis the Mustang were both "F" bodies. F is for "Fox" on the Mustang. I thought I remember the F standing for something on the Camaro/Firebird but I can't remember what it is.
                AFAIK, it was just the next letter they decided to use for the body platform.
                Rob B 95Z A4 Tech Page (Part numbers / locations, how to's, schematics, DTC's...) Home Page - shbox.com

Comment

The "F" in f-body stands for the guy that designed it at its inception. His name was Fisher and thus it became known as the "F-body"

Sorry officer, im not speeding... Im qualifying
                  Daily Driver:1990 ford probe 5 speed with like 13 horsepower at the crank.

Comment

Originally posted by lt1maro
                    The "F" in f-body stands for the guy that designed it at its inception. His name was Fisher and thus it became known as the "F-body"
                    That's it. I remember it now.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff 95 Z28
                      Which 427 do you have for it? The "Wedge" big block, a bored out something or the SOHC motor?
                      DART Iron Eagle 351 Windsor small block with a forged 427 stroker kit. The car is really set up for curves, so I'm trying to keep weight off the nose for that 50/50. Small block weight with big block displacement- seemed the way to go. Always wanted a 427, there's a romance to it, ya know? And some day, when the wallet recovers from this project, twin turbos on a multi tune flip chip. I'll be happy to just get the engine in at this point.

Fisher, eh? Now that you mention it, I think I may have heard that before too. I've been living and breathing Fox body's so long that I haven't retained much trivia info on the F-bods over the years, much as I like them. Heck, I like anything fast
                      Pic's etc --> HERE

Comment

DART Iron Eagle 351 Windsor small block with a forged 427 stroker kit. The car is really set up for curves, so I'm trying to keep weight off the nose for that 50/50. Small block weight with big block displacement- seemed the way to go. Always wanted a 427, there's a romance to it, ya know? And some day, when the wallet recovers from this project, twin turbos on a multi tune flip chip. I'll be happy to just get the engine in at this point.
                        Understand. Ford has so many engine combinations you just never know. I love the 427 SOHC motor. Swiveling oil pickup. Cross drilled crank main caps. Spark plugs in the top of the head. Very different.
                        Fisher, eh? Now that you mention it, I think I may have heard that before too. I've been living and breathing Fox body's so long that I haven't retained much trivia info on the F-bods over the years, much as I like them. Heck, I like anything fast
                        I'm relatively new to the F-body too. This is my first one. I drove an 85 Mustang GT for about 16 years. Not much was stock when I finally retired it with 175K on the clock. The wiring harness was falling apart. The insulation was coming off the wires.

Comment

My second Fox was an '84 GT- which was a genuinely fun car. T-Top 5spd 5.0, it was a blast. Mostly stock, sold it with about 185k on the clock. Same trouble- wiring... Fords
                          Pic's etc --> HERE

Comment

Then wouldn't a whole lot of cars be called "F"-bodies, since every GM car used to have a "Body by Fisher" tag on it (Fisher was the GM body plant)? I can't say I buy into that story. Never heard it before.
                            Rob B 95Z A4 Tech Page (Part numbers / locations, how to's, schematics, DTC's...) Home Page - shbox.com

Comment

Hey that reminds me...I remember on my 3rd gen, on the sil-plate, it said "Body By Fisher" with an antique car. Does that mean anything?

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
                              Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
                              B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
                              Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
                              Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

Working...
                              X