F body means...?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rob B (shoebox)
    Then wouldn't a whole lot of cars be called "F"-bodies, since every GM car used to have a "Body by Fisher" tag on it (Fisher was the GM body plant)? I can't say I buy into that story. Never heard it before.
    nm...guess not. LOL

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
    Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
    B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
    Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
    Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

Originally posted by LimTeng99TransAm
      Hey that reminds me...I remember on my 3rd gen, on the sil-plate, it said "Body By Fisher" with an antique car. Does that mean anything?
      Fisher Body Corporation was instituted in 1908 from the Fisher family of coachmakers (hence the coach logo). GM bought three-fifths of them in 1919 and the rest in 1926. Fisher Body was disbanded in 1984.

You can see that coach logo in this ad for a 1940 "F-body".

...better seen here:
      Rob B 95Z A4 Tech Page (Part numbers / locations, how to's, schematics, DTC's...) Home Page - shbox.com

Comment

The F-Body has come a long way.
        2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

My first mustang was a 79 pace car (first year of fox body for those not into stangs). I loved that car, sold to a guy in town and he went and got it repainted black and white why ill never know.

Eric W.

89 Firebird Formula WS6
          Accel/Lingenfelter Super Ram
          6.2L/382.97 ci
          Custom PROM Dyno tuned
          WCT-5 speed
          BW 9-bolt Posi 3.45
          Boss MS 18" Rims
          Headman Headers 1 5/8 Ceramic Coated
          Custom Dual exhaust
          1LE upgrade
          Custom Temperature / Navigation Rear View Mirror
          In a constant state of upgrade!

Comment

...and I thought I had my profound answer too.

Guess I'll have to go with the "next letter in the alphabet" theory?
            '93 Cobra - '89 5.0 LX - '91 GT
            Pic's etc --> HERE

Comment

Originally posted by DeWynter
              My first mustang was a 79 pace car (first year of fox body for those not into stangs). I loved that car, sold to a guy in town and he went and got it repainted black and white why ill never know.
              My first car (also my first Fox) was a '79 Capri. Couldn't be rid of it soon enough, although it wasn't a bad first car for a teenager. Same car as the '79 stang though.
              Pic's etc --> HERE

Comment

Originally posted by stangbear427
                My first car (also my first Fox) was a '79 Capri. Couldn't be rid of it soon enough, although it wasn't a bad first car for a teenager. Same car as the '79 stang though.
                LOL. My first car was a 79 Capri RS with a 302 automatic. 85mph top speed. I got pulled over one time for doing 120 in a 55. I looked at the officer, took out my keys and held them out to him and said if you can get this car to do 120 I'll gladly pay the ticket because I know good and well that it won't do it. The cop started giving me a bunch of crap saying he knew it was me. Then another cop pulled up and I heard him tell the first cop that it wasn't me. The cop came back and said that he couldn't prove it so he was letting me go. I said BS I heard the other cop say it wasn't me. I said you're just hassling me because I'm young. I said have a nice day. I put it in drive and floored it.
                2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Heheh! Well, if mine had been an RS I might have kept it- it was a strait six with a 3spd auto. Too slow, and I hate auto's with a passion. Nothing against Capri's, mine just wasn't the greatest example of Fox appeal. Probably a good thing, or I may be dead now
                  At least is wasn't the bubble-back!
                  Pic's etc --> HERE

Comment

Originally posted by stangbear427
                    ...and I thought I had my profound answer too.

Guess I'll have to go with the "next letter in the alphabet" theory?
                    Yep. G-Body is the Monte, Regal, Grand Prix, Cutlass before front wheel drive. A-Body was the Chevelle, GTO, Cutlass, Skylark. Y-Body is the Corvette. T-Body was the Chevette, T-1000. J-Body was the Cavalier, Sunbird, Firenza, Skyhawk. And on and on. Every car has a platform letter.
                    Rob
                    04 GTO

Comment

What'll they do when they run out of letters?
                      Pic's etc --> HERE

Comment

they start at A and double them. "Look! there goes a AA-Body!"

Eric W.

89 Firebird Formula WS6
                        Accel/Lingenfelter Super Ram
                        6.2L/382.97 ci
                        Custom PROM Dyno tuned
                        WCT-5 speed
                        BW 9-bolt Posi 3.45
                        Boss MS 18" Rims
                        Headman Headers 1 5/8 Ceramic Coated
                        Custom Dual exhaust
                        1LE upgrade
                        Custom Temperature / Navigation Rear View Mirror
                        In a constant state of upgrade!

Comment

I know for trucks they use the designation GMT-600 or other similar letter/number combinations.

LT4KM, 160' TS, MAF ends, TB-BP, GMPP 1.6 R/R, SLP CAI, LCA, Adj. tierod, BMR tower brace, 17x9"F/R, 275/40R17 GY F1 tires. WS6 Muffler, LS1 DS. 21mm rear sway bar. Soon to be LT4 heads, intake, & HOT cam

Comment

They are also using spelled out letters of the Greek alphabet now-a-days.

Like:
                            Delta=Cobalt, Saturn Ion...
                            Epsilon=Malibu, Pontiac G6...
                            Kappa=Pontaic Solstice, Saturn Sky, Chevy Nomad (if produced)
                            Lambda=new minivans
                            Sigma= Caddy STS, CTS, SRX...
                            Theta=Saturn Vue, Chevy Equinox, Pontaic Torrent
                            Zeta=cars not yet announced
                            Rob B 95Z A4 Tech Page (Part numbers / locations, how to's, schematics, DTC's...) Home Page - shbox.com

Comment

Originally posted by DeWynter
                              they start at A and double them. "Look! there goes a AA-Body!"
                              And for the really sexy ones we can say "look! There goes a DD-Body!"
                              Pic's etc --> HERE

Comment

Working...
                              X