Best tire....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best tire....

for 17 x 9.5 wheel looking for a tire for everyday use, but very very race oriented.....any suggestions? What is your opinion of the best out there for that straight line traction?

AMF RACING: Friends don't let friends drive junk

01 black ss #0966
    lou's short stick, slp lid and cold air, smooth bellow, centerforce, loudmouth, 3 in. y pipe, flowtech long tubes, BMR STB, SLP 4.10's, polished zr-1s, MSD wires, T-6 plugs, and upcoming goodies....Tee-Hee

I just got some Goodyear GS D3s. I think most would say it is between this tire and the BF Goodrich KD series. Similar prices. I love the GS D3s. In addition to sticking very well they are very quiet - and what the heck they look awesome too!
    Silver 02 WS-6, 6 speed, Corsa cat-back, SLP lid, K&N filter, BMR STB, !CAGs, Lou's short stick, MSD wires, MTI "Hammer" cam, ASP underdrive pulley, Hooker LTs, Hooker ORY, Comp 918s, TR pushrods, UMI Sfcs, UMI LCAs, NGK TR55s, Hotchkis springs

Dyno'd 4/24: 330.9 RWHP/ 344.8 RWTQ (Before cam, headers, and pulley)

Dyno'd 5/1: 383.5 RWHP / 380.5 RWTQ (393 actual RWHP)

Comment

I second Casey. I am very happy with my BFG KDW tires. They improved my cornering ability dramatically... another tire I have heard good things about is the Nitto 555-R
      Former Ride: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 345 rwhp, 360 rwtq... stock internally.

Current Ride: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT Limited - spec.B #312 of 500

Comment

I had a set of 285/40/17 BFG KDW's on my 17x9 WS6 wheels and they were great.

But when I switched to a set of Michelin Pilot Sports they were even better. Much better cornering and straightline traction, especially straightline.

Comment

I have the BFG KDW tires and love 'em. The KD would be even better, but don't last as long. I vote for the KDW. Michelin's are great too (got 'em on the GN), but they're pricey. Worth it, but pricey.
          Steve
          79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
          87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
          93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
          http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

BFG KDW..best all around do everything tire on the market...........

but...hey..what do i know......

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
            Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
            sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

Originally posted by wolfman

Notta lotta lol j/k. Feels good to know you think I got a good set of tires too
              Steve
              79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
              87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
              93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
              http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

Yokohama AO32R.
                http://www.bigbeartire.com/yoko/yokohama-ao32r.htm
                97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

Comment

Yeah, what do you know u crazy old guy. J/K But i like my f1 supercars

Sorry officer, im not speeding... Im qualifying
                  Daily Driver:1990 ford probe 5 speed with like 13 horsepower at the crank.

Comment

Originally posted by lt1maro
                    Yeah, what do you know u crazy old guy. J/K But i like my f1 supercars
                    LOL..

the "tire thang" is a very complicated world. there are so many trade offs... so many components of the tire that enhance one performance aspect take away from another.... you always read about the person thats looking for the tire that will do it all.. there is . there never will be... its the nature of the 'beast'.
                    in order to achieve taction, you need soft rubber compound...more natural and less synthetic... that means less tread wear....in order for the outside crown edge not to wear rapidly, you need last sidewall stabilization so that the drive backs off in hard cornering due to the input he recieves from the tire that he's breaking loose... but the true cornering masterpiece of tire holds its footprint... therefore wearing out the crown edge of the treadrubber...and people complain "i had my alignment checked..this tire is properly inflated...but its worn out on the edges...this suks..".. truth is ...the tire was doing its job... the person failed to say he enjoyed taking that 25mp exit off ramp at 60 instead......

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Comment

LOL..

the "tire thang" is a very complicated world. there are so many trade offs... so many components of the tire that enhance one performance aspect take away from another.... you always read about the person thats looking for the tire that will do it all.. there is . there never will be... its the nature of the 'beast'.
                      in order to achieve taction, you need soft rubber compound...more natural and less synthetic... that means less tread wear....in order for the outside crown edge not to wear rapidly, you need last sidewall stabilization so that the drive backs off in hard cornering due to the input he recieves from the tire that he's breaking loose... but the true cornering masterpiece of tire holds its footprint... therefore wearing out the crown edge of the treadrubber...and people complain "i had my alignment checked..this tire is properly inflated...but its worn out on the edges...this suks..".. truth is ...the tire was doing its job... the person failed to say he enjoyed taking that 25mp exit off ramp at 60 instead......
                      I want some of what you're on!!!

Comment

Originally posted by fastTA
                        I want some of what you're on!!!
                        then you would have enjoyed one of my many trips to the Nevada Automotive Test Center , where I spend half my career it seems like, getting down in the 'pit' with the tire for all our testing........

I have some pretty good vids of what we did and the test cources we developed for off road severe light truck tire testing... if i can ever get around copying them, ill send you a couple to watch. make sure the rest of your family is occupied, they will think its boring as heck...just ask mary...LOL

we learned alot abourt the black donut..so did the manufacuters...some stuff they didnt even realize...especial treadwear issues. they always relied on dot's utqg...which is only a 8,000 mile test... at 80% load.. which is bull.....ours was 20,000miles at 100% load!

Comment

I guess that soon I'm going to have to try something different than my old favorite the SZ50 and SZ50ep. When really new, they had great traction. In my opinion though, when the tread starts to wear I feel the grip goes away. I like them for the rain, because here in Florida the rain gets wicked. It comes down in buckets at times. I've just traded some parts for a new pair of 285/40 GS-D3s and I'm going to see how well they hook. I've got another set of chrome 10 spoke SS wheels I'm going to mount them on and try them. I've never tried the KDWs either.

Comment

I am also running the Gs D3's and love them. I have had the SZ50's(loved them) Perelli P7000's(hated them).
                            Kbddsfc,B&M Ripper,Ws6 Rims,Hotchkiss Stb,Bmr Lca,Gwphr,Strange 4:10's,LPEds,Borla,AS&M Headers,RT cat,Powerslot rotors,Hawk Pads R/Pf pads Fr,Mba shift knob,Slp Hood&Airbox,Holley Powershot filter,Fernco mod, Lt4km,Firebat decals,T/A Girdle,HPP.160stat,Bilstein shocks,Z06 Brakes,AFS ZR1's,GSD3's.

Comment

I always like to check the "user survey" feedback on Tire Rack. Recognizing first that it is simply online data from "average" users, it should still point out the relative strengths and weaknesses of the different tires.

The top tires for "dry traction" are the BFG KD, BFG KDW-2, and Michelin Pilot Sport PS2, followed closely by the GY GS-D3 and the Bridegstone Potenza S-03 Pole Position. On "overall" performance, the GY GS-D3 comes out on top, due to having excellent wet traction and hydroplaning resistance, an area where the BFG KD is weak. The Michelin and Bridegstone models mentioned above round out the "top three" in overall survey rating.

I run 275/40-17 BFG KDW's in the front and 315/35-17 BFG Comp T/A drag radials in the back.... pretty sticky.
                              Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Working...
                              X