Need help with a V6 to LT1 swap

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with a V6 to LT1 swap

I am about to embark on a V6 to LT1 swap on a 95 Camaro. I got the engine, trans, harness, computer and motor mounts from a donor car, but was told I would need the K-frame also. Is this just due to the motor mounts, can the V6 K-frame be modified to accept the LT1? What about fuel line alignment, throttle cable ect... Any guidance?

Matthew

I believe the k-member is the same.

You will need a driveshaft though. The V6 uses a 2 piece shaft with a CV joint in the middle.

You'll also need new front springs for the suspension. The V6 springs will sag badly under the weight of the V8 and you will scrape the undercarriage really bad.

You'll need the instrament cluster from the V8 car. The V6 cluster will not work properly.

I'm pretty sure the radiators are different.

I'm pretty sure the transmission cross members are different.

If you still have access to the donor car, I'd say you should put it on a trailer and drag it to your place for the duration of the swap. There will be lots of little things you'll need. Lots and lots.
    Tracy
    2002 C5 M6 Convertible
    1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
    Current Mods:
    SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Originally posted by TraceZ
      I believe the k-member is the same.

If you still have access to the donor car, I'd say you should put it on a trailer and drag it to your place for the duration of the swap. There will be lots of little things you'll need. Lots and lots.

Yes, this is the only smart way to do this swap. Really, with any late model EFI car, when you swap motors from one type to a completely different type, than you really need the donor car. I did one on my dodge omni. I swapped the carb'd 4 banger out and put in an MPI T2 Turbo motor. Even with a complete donor car, a lift and all the equipment, that job still sucked. Theres so many little things that you just dont think of....
      96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
      11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Comment

need more data

Unfortunately I do not have the donor car. I have done drive train swaps like this into classics (shoe boxes, A-body and the like) where fabrication was the guide word, but have never done a factory refit (so to speak). I figured on the springs, radiator, and possibly the drive shaft, but never figured the instrument cluster wouldn't work. If the cluster is different, then wouldn't the cluster to ECM harness differ also? Any and all details would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by mattmanuel
          Unfortunately I do not have the donor car. I have done drive train swaps like this into classics (shoe boxes, A-body and the like) where fabrication was the guide word, but have never done a factory refit (so to speak). I figured on the springs, radiator, and possibly the drive shaft, but never figured the instrument cluster wouldn't work. If the cluster is different, then wouldn't the cluster to ECM harness differ also? Any and all details would be greatly appreciated.
          I'd look around for a wrecked V8 chasis then, minus its drivetrain. You might need that interior harness, and a zillion other things that would just be impossible to predict.

You might need the fuel pump and lines, the accelerator linkage.... The list of parts will get big ($$$) quickly.
          Tracy
          2002 C5 M6 Convertible
          1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
          Current Mods:
          SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Everything I have ever seen about the V6-->V8 swap indicates that the K-members are different and need to be swapped. You can get a tubular K-member from BMR.
            Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Is the V-6 car running? If so, sell it. If not, get it running and sell it. Then get a Z-28, running or not, since you've got another engine and trans for it. The cost of a '94 to '96 Z-28 is low compared to the cost of doing the engine swap and associated grief. I wouldn't even do a auto to manual trans swap any more either.

Just my 2 cents worth.
              The Old Guy! '94 z-28, m-6, t-tops, go-fast red, 316k. Now with '96 engine w/ Lt-4 hot cam, roller rockers, heavy duty timing chain, and Spec stage 2 clutch.

Comment

Originally posted by pete
                I wouldn't even do a auto to manual trans swap any more either.
                Why is that? Mine went pretty darn smooth.....
                96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
                11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Comment

As I get older, I like to remember when I said: "I'm not going to do that again". Sorta like a poke in the eye with a sharp stick.

Not that things like this can't be done, its just there are some things I would rather not experience again. Diminishing returns for time and money invested.
                  The Old Guy! '94 z-28, m-6, t-tops, go-fast red, 316k. Now with '96 engine w/ Lt-4 hot cam, roller rockers, heavy duty timing chain, and Spec stage 2 clutch.

Comment

Pete;
                    I hear where your coming from, but if time and money were an actual consideration, of us would have the rides that we do. Few years abck I sold a 67 Chevelle for $22K and actually lost money on it if I figured in the time I put in it. Worst case, this drive train ends up in the 67 ElCamino I currently have, but I am still comitted to doing this swap so if any one has done it and has details, I would be more than interested.

Comment

If you are persistant and strong willed you eill get it done piecemeal. It's not impossible!

Here is how I would attack it:

1) get a K-member with front springs and transmission mount
                      2) Drop the V6 K-member with motor/trans strait out the bottom.
                      3) Assemble the V8 K member with engine and transmission and suspension
                      4) raise the V8 assembly into the car
                      5) install driveshaft and torque arm
                      6) install the V8 wiring harness
                      7) install the V8 guages
                      8) install the V8 cooing system
                      9) inspect the fuel lines / pump and determine if it can be made to work with the V8

keep going until it runs!!

You'll want to also get a rear differential from V8 car... the V6 cars didnt get limited slip or rear disc brakes..
                      Tracy
                      2002 C5 M6 Convertible
                      1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
                      Current Mods:

Comment

I have a rear end you can have but you have to come and get it. It's complete including brakes. It's a little noisy but it works fine and hey the price is right. Free. It does have 2.73 gears though.
                        2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Working...
                        X