header/exhaust recommendations

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• header/exhaust recommendations

I am going to install headers and dual exhaust on a 79 formula with a pontiac 400. Does anyone have any recommedations on headers and or exhaust?

Yea, whatever you get add the cost of a real big hammer and a pry bar. Putting headers on those old pontiacs is a bear because of the way the exhaust ports are angled on the heads.
    96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
    11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Comment

In my opinion i would go with hooker headers with flowmaster dual exhaust... look on the net and find out whats the best bang for the buck
      67'maro slightly modified... http://www.cardomain.com/id/chevydrag

Comment

i think hooker headers are buy far the best "bang for the buck," but i would go with SLP exaust, or if you want to spend a little more money... get a borla exaust. Borla is pretty spendy though. I've heard bad things about the flowmaster exaust on f-bodies, so i don't know if it would be the best choice for your car or not.
        1993 Formula - 99k
        Throttle body bypass, K&N FIPK II, SLP Loudmouth, Mad Z28 Chip, 3.73 motives, TPI airfoil, Spohn LCA relocation brackets, Fuddle 3200 Stall, B&M Supercooler, LS1 driveshaft, and chrome ZR1's 17"/9.5" and 17/11" in the back!!!

Comment

I can painfully remember that swap. It will be made easier by pulling the motor mount and jacking upthe engine on each side during the install due to the downeard agle of the head port. Hookers are the way to go with that combo.

Comment

good call
            96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
            11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Comment

I am looking at Thorley or Dynomax for my '79. I am unsure, but I am still looking. I kinda want a ceramic-coated inner and outer finish. The Thorleys are nice for install, but they use a nickel-chrome finish. I am almost sure I am going with a dual Flowmaster 2 1/2 setup designed for the '70-3 model years, and then I plan to put high flow cats in off the headers. Here is a link to Summit's pic http://store.summitracing.com/partde...rt=FLO%2D17149 I was going to have it custom bent for my car, but then I found this one which was almost identical to how I wanted to set it up. If you plan to build up the motor past 450-500hp, go with 3 inch mandrel custom pipes out the back with a crossover just past the cats.. Ummm, don't be scarred off with the Flowmaster on this setup, and use true duals and dual Flowmaster mufflers as shown in the pick; you will be happy with the result. Don't be to anxious to set it up like one of the new gens.

I hope you have a hoist for this although you can use a good jack and bracing board for the oil pan. It involves taking the bolts out of the motor mounts, and lifting the motor to slide the headers in from under the car. There is also a little grinding involved
              '77 K5 rock-crawler project
              '79 T/A: WS6, 400 4sp, 40K miles; Completely stock and original
              '87 Lifted 3/4 ton Suburban (Big Blue) plow truck
              '94 Roadmaster Wagon (The Roadmonster) 200,000 miles and still going
              '97 T/A: (SLP 1LE Suspension, SB, & sfc(s), Loudmouth); 4.10s; B&M Ripper; R/A Hood; ZR1s
              My daily drivers: '06 Jeep Liberty CRD (wife); '01 Yukon Denali XL (me); '03 Stratus Coupe (me)

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
              Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Working...
              X