Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

good devices for removing rounded off bolt?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• good devices for removing rounded off bolt?

My oil pan drain bolt on my new Grand Prix was rounded off by the previous owner/shop. It's due for a change, so what is a good tool for removing a rounded off bolt? I think Sears' Craftsman makes a ratchet head for that, but I'm not sure. Anyone? I'll be replacing the plug once I get it out.
    Dave M
    Life, liberty, and the pursuit of all who threaten it!

Vise grips or pipe wrench.
    2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Craftsman does make a socket with teeth on the inside for just such a purpose. As you tighten, the toothed threads cut into the rounded off bolt head, increasing the grip as you loosten the bolt.

Comment

Take a pair of vice grips, or good pliars. Put them on the nut. Take a pair of channel locks, put them on the pliar handle, squeeze the channel locks and turn. Should come right out. If room allows, this has worked for me every time with easy. Ran into this on my cat-back install and it took care of it, 10 seconds.
        97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

Comment

the Gator Grip...use it for my "Really" rounded off oil pan bolt... Oh, not on the bird...on the company van.

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
          Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
          B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
          Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
          Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

Originally posted by Joe 1320
            Craftsman does make a socket with teeth on the inside for just such a purpose. As you tighten, the toothed threads cut into the rounded off bolt head, increasing the grip as you loosten the bolt.
            They're the Craftsmen Bolt-out set. I had to use them on an old friends car to get the drain plug out for her. Worked like a charm. They sell a set of 13 for $50 I believe, well worth having in your toolbox.
            Steve
            79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
            87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
            93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
            http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

Working...
            X