No announcement yet.

Headlight Conversions for '94 Camaro?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey AmericanZ28, I've wanting to upgrade the lighting on my Z as well. Which housing did you go with in your 3rd pic or which do you recommend? Any specific brand you recommend to replace them with? What about high-beams? Anything for the fog lamps as well? Thanks.
    Steve
    79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
    87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
    93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
    http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

Oo yeah different foglights would be nice... haha.
      White 1994 Camaro
      T-tops, Red&Gray Interior
      ....v6

Comment

Hey, thanks for the help guys, I've got new headlights comin!
        White 1994 Camaro
        ....v6

Comment

Originally posted by Steve93Z
          Hey AmericanZ28, I've wanting to upgrade the lighting on my Z as well. Which housing did you go with in your 3rd pic or which do you recommend? Any specific brand you recommend to replace them with? What about high-beams? Anything for the fog lamps as well? Thanks.
          In the third pic, you're looking at an Autoptiks housing fitted with MTEC 4X 9006 Xenon bulbs. I didn't really get to test this set up on the car as I quickly moved on to modifying the OEM Housings. One thing I did notice with these housing was that road signs lit up extremely well and from far distances, and light pattern on the floor was similar to that of the OEM's. Autoptiks use to sell a high beam housing also, but it looks like they're no longer on the web. You can pry out the bulbs in your high beams just like you would a low beam, but you'll need to use a 9005 bulb instead. I would leave the foglamps alone unless you want to replace them with driving lights to help light up the road in addition to the low beams. Foglamps will do nothing for night visibility because the beam is too narrow and points parallel to the ground, which is exactly what they're supposed to do. If anything, I would replace the fog lamp housings with new ones if the ones you currently have on there are already dull-looking.
          1996 Arctic White Z28, A4, K&N CAI, TByrne MAF ends, BBK Twin-52mm TB, TB Bypass, SLP 1 3/4" Shorties, Richmond 3.42's, Dynomax Bullet Muffler W/Turn Down, BMR Adj. Panhard, EIBACH Pro-Kit, AFS ZR1 Wheels W/17x11" out back!

Comment

Originally posted by AmericanZ28
            In the third pic, you're looking at an Autoptiks housing fitted with MTEC 4X 9006 Xenon bulbs. I didn't really get to test this set up on the car as I quickly moved on to modifying the OEM Housings. One thing I did notice with these housing was that road signs lit up extremely well and from far distances, and light pattern on the floor was similar to that of the OEM's. Autoptiks use to sell a high beam housing also, but it looks like they're no longer on the web. You can pry out the bulbs in your high beams just like you would a low beam, but you'll need to use a 9005 bulb instead. I would leave the foglamps alone unless you want to replace them with driving lights to help light up the road in addition to the low beams. Foglamps will do nothing for night visibility because the beam is too narrow and points parallel to the ground, which is exactly what they're supposed to do. If anything, I would replace the fog lamp housings with new ones if the ones you currently have on there are already dull-looking.
            Would the MTEC bulbs be as good or better in the OEM housings? Where would be a good place to buy them? 9006 for low-beam, 9005 for high-beam, right? The only thing really wrong with the fog lamps is the pass. side looks as if the bulb is bent, since it does not actually light up the whole housing and thus gives off an incorrect pattern. I'll probably just replace the bulb. Would OEM replacements be good or do you have a better recommendation? Thanks a bunch for the info. man, I really appreciate it as I'm sure Baby 'Maro does to (thanks for lettin' me get some info. also ). Take care everyone.
            Steve

Comment

Yeah I do, and now I'm excited..waitin for my new ones!!!! haha. Thanks a ton.
              White 1994 Camaro
              ....v6

Comment

Anytime guys! Steve, the MTECs perform just as good, if not worse in the OE housings againts the Autoptiks. I didnt really notice much of a difference between the regular bulb and the MTEC in the OE housing. Both set-ups dont really get much light on the floor. The only clear advantage that the Autoptiks housing has over the OE is that it lights up road signs a whole lot better.
                One thing to keep in mind when chosing bulbs is that any coated bulb will produce less lumens (ammount of light) because of the filtering process which rids the light of any yellow/orange light. The only way to compensate for this loss of light is to go with a higher wattage bulb. The MTEC 4X Bulbs have a higher wattage than a standard 9006 bulb (low-beam), and wont melt the plugs like other high wattage bulbs. The quality of these bulbs compare to that of PIAA, and can be found for a reasonable price on Ebay.com. And
                As far as the fog lights are concerned, I would replace the bulb with a standard 885 bulb. There are currently no high wattage, coated bulbs so any colored bulb you buy will not produce as much light as regular bulb. I replaced mine with some "Xenon White" bulbs, and although the color of the light was a bright white, the ammount of light was less than that of the orignal bulbs. You can't really tell by the pic, but the original bulbs produced a thicker, brighter beam.
                You might want to check the bulb cover which sits inside the fog lamp. It's possible that it could have fallen or broken off. That black piece inside the foglamp is critical to proper beam pattern.
                1996 Arctic White Z28, A4, K&N CAI, TByrne MAF ends, BBK Twin-52mm TB, TB Bypass, SLP 1 3/4" Shorties, Richmond 3.42's, Dynomax Bullet Muffler W/Turn Down, BMR Adj. Panhard, EIBACH Pro-Kit, AFS ZR1 Wheels W/17x11" out back!

Comment

So, is there any way to check the condition of the bulb cover without pulling out the assembly? If not, is it fairly easy to get the alignment of the assembly back? Last, what bulb brand would you recommend for replacements? Thanks again man, you solved a major problem for me with my Z. Take it easy everyone.
                  Steve

Comment

Tap on the housing from the outside and see if you hear a rattling sound. If you do, then the cover is probably loose. If you dont hear anything, remove and inspect the housing. Alignment is as easy as it gets. Theres only one screw and it will tilt the light up and down. Simply align the horizontal beam so that it meets with the one you didnt remove. In the pic I posted earlier, i adjusted one higher than the other, and then simply brought it back down! As far as bulb recomendation, get regular sylvania bulbs for the fog, and, if you can afford it, PIAA 9006 bulbs for the lows. MTEC 4X bulbs are a great alternative to the PIAA if you want to pay less. The ultimate would be a true HID system, but were talking upwards of $300 now.

Comment

Working...
                    X