No announcement yet.

May have bent K-Member? Please help...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• May have bent K-Member? Please help...

Hey everyone,
    I hit a patch of ice on saturday and slid into a curb. At first I didnt think the dammage was too bad, but after putting a new tire on it I realized that the wheel is sitting about 2 inches further back than it was before. I got under the car to see what was broken. I noticed that the spindle was bent, but it looks like the K-Member has been moved back on the dammaged side. Is it possible that it just slid back? Can it be adjusted/replaced without removing the motor/trans?

This sucks,
    Mark B
    No F-Body right now

Replace the spindle and take it to an allignment shop. If it comes strait, dont worry about it. If they cannot get it to come strait you'll need to look more closely for what else may be bent.
    Tracy
    2002 C5 M6 Convertible
    1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
    Current Mods:
    SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Im pretty sure its more than the spindle...

No F-Body right now

Comment

I'd say you have some damage to the frame after looking at the picture. Take it to a body shop. They can tell you what needs to be done.
        Dave S
        2000 Black Camaro SS

Comment

Originally posted by Mark B
          Im pretty sure its more than the spindle...
          ouch.

I'd be taking that to a body shop with a frame machine. They will be able to pull it strait, and tell you what parts need replacing. It looks like its more than just the k-member. I tlooks like the frame is bent up a bit.

I think you may be in over your head.
          Tracy
          2002 C5 M6 Convertible
          1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
          Current Mods:
          SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Originally posted by SS_CarGuy
            I'd say you have some damage to the frame after looking at the picture. Take it to a body shop. They can tell you what needs to be done.
            we were posing the same thing at the same time. Great minds think alike!

good luck getting it fixed. I'd expect it might cost $300 to get it pulled strait, plus whatever parts you need to replace.
            Tracy
            2002 C5 M6 Convertible
            1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
            Current Mods:

Comment

Thats what I was worried about. I will just have to see what the bodyshop says.

No F-Body right now

Comment

ya a frame job should cost no more than 300 on that car, I had mine done when I bought my formula(write off) and it cost me $275.00 Canadian

Eric W.

89 Firebird Formula WS6
                Accel/Lingenfelter Super Ram
                6.2L/382.97 ci
                Custom PROM Dyno tuned
                WCT-5 speed
                BW 9-bolt Posi 3.45
                Boss MS 18" Rims
                Headman Headers 1 5/8 Ceramic Coated
                Custom Dual exhaust
                1LE upgrade
                Custom Temperature / Navigation Rear View Mirror