Last header question, I swear!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Last header question, I swear!

If I were to buy 94-95 headers with an included Y pipe, would they work on my 97? What else would I need to change to make it fit, if anything? I would think it would work fine since it comes with a Y but I just want to make sure before I buy anything.
    97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

94-95 "Style" headers will fit BUT they are not legal on your car. You car has 2 cats the 94-95 Car has 1 cat (except for Cali 95 model that has 2 cats). Now with that being said....

You CAN buy a 94-95 Style header with a DUAL (2) cat Y-pipe from www.thunderracing.com Its a Random Tech Dual Cat Y-pipe mounted to an AS&M Header. This is a mid length header. There are other shorty/mid headers out there MAC (the best sparkplug clearance on 94 and 95 but the 96-97 style is not as good of a design BUT They are better then what you have and don't move the cats from the factory location (anytime you relocate or remove a cat its illegal) its complete, headers, cats, y-pipe. You can see this style at www.ramchargers.com

There is also others out there like Edelbrock etc...But NO y-pipe. And SLP makes them but no y-pipe.

There are also other choices as well as far as long tube headers are concerned..

Hooker
    Jet-Hot
    Pacesetter (I have these long tubes for my 97 just haven't put them on yet)
    Kooks

You WILL need to make a custom -pipe for these long tube style headers.

BUT back to the other kind (Mid Length) these are nice headers and many people have them so if ground clearance is a concern these are the headers to get. Keep in mind they are pricey...

Good luck. I hope this helps

Comment

Actually, I'm not sure if the driver's-side header would bolt up to the driver's-side half of the Y-pipe. I believe the flange is different (a little bigger). Just get the headers for the 96-97 cars. They're generally cheaper (like a couple hundred cheaper) and they'll bolt up without a problem.
      Steve
      79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
      87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
      93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
      http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

Longtubes would be good, but the car is dropped. Might be a bit of a problem here in MI. I know it would be, so those are out. I figured mid lengths are the way to go. I can't find them anywhere. I found a set of ML pacesetters for 300 w/y pipe, but they're for 94-95 style. That's why I asked.

I'm not concerned about it being illegal. I'd rather run headers with straight pipes, no cats anyway. There are no inspections here (yet).
        97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

Comment

Same problem I ran into when looking for Headers for my '97. Wanted to purchase AS&M 1 3/4" Headers but they are only listed for 94-95 if memory serves me correctly. I am also running Dual Random Tech Cats and the only smog legal Header listed that would bolt directly too the Random Tech Y-pipe were JBA 1 5/8" shorties, so that's what I purchased. Needless to say it was not a direct bolt-on, never used used the Random Tech extension pipe that was supposed to mate the Y-pipe to the Cats. With that being said I would buy AS&M Headers and Dual Random Tech Cats and have the set-up professionally installed. Only problem, is that the AS&M's are not Smog Legal as far as I know. In CT if you fail the sniffer test they will then start looking around. Good luck, but it really shouldn't have to be this difficult.

Comment

These are the ones I want to get.
            http://store.summitracing.com/defaul...4&autoview=sku

If I don't get those, I was considering these...
            http://store.summitracing.com/defaul...4&autoview=sku

I like the design of the first headers more. The other ones look like shorty's, the others are more mid-length.

Comment

If I were to buy 93-95 headers, I could bolt them up, put on the included y pipe, then just fab up a straight pipe to replace the cat, right??

Sorry for the stupid ?'s but I've never seen under a 93-95 car, I'm having a hard time picturing what it looks like...

Comment

Yeah, I wouldn't bother with the shorties unless you have too pass a visual emission test, Mid length's seems like the better choice. You might want to consider a 1 3/4" (SLP) tube diameter header instead of the Pacesetter 1 5/8". I have never seen the single Cat set-up on a '94-95 so not sure what it looks like either. You really need to run a Cat or Cat's, I wouldn't just delete it because the engine needs some backpressure.

Comment

Did either of you even bother to click the Thunderracing link?? I am not trying to be mean here but they HAVE MID LENGTH HEADERS FOR DUAL CAT CARS WITH A DUAL CAT Y-PIPE IN ONE PACKAGE.....Please Please please read pass th first sentence....

http://www.thunderracing.com/catalog...&vid=4&pcid=52

LT1 Headers & Dual-Cat Y-pipe Package

Designed for racing applications on vehicles equipped with headers, the Random DualCat systems offers a significant horsepower advantage compared to a single converter installation, especially for vehicles with modified engines. In addition to allowing the installation of dual catalytic converters on 1993-1995 Camaros and Firebirds, the system makes it possible to install the more efficient 1993-1995 model headers on 1996-1997 model vehicles. Random's DualCat Y-pipe features mandrel-bent 2-1/2" tubing and Random Technology 8100 Series SHF "Bullet" converters.

Thunder Racing offers several package deals that include the Dual Cat Y-pipe and headers for both 1993-1995 and 1996-1997 F-bodies. All of our packages include everything that you need to complete the installation, including our own instructions and helpful hints, written from personal installation experience. Our header/dual cat y-pipe packages include:

* Arizona Speed & Marine 1-3/4" Ceramic Coated Headers
                  * Random Technology Dual-Cat Y-pipe w/ 2 Bullet Catalytic Converters
                  * Stage 8 Locking Header Bolts
                  * Felpro Gaskets
                  * Felpro Header Collector Gaskets
                  * Stage 8 Locking Bolts for Header Collectors
                  * GM Check Valve Adapters (as needed on '96-97 applications)
                  * New Dipstick Tube, Pre-bent and cut for easier installation
                  * Taylor Fire Sleeves
                  * Stainless Steel Tie Wraps
                  * O2 Harness extension (as needed on '96-97 applications)
                  * Longer #8 Plug Wire (Specify stock or Taylor wires)

Comment

I honestly didn't even read your post so no I did not click on your Link. Wish that '96-97 set-up was available a few years ago because they only had it for '94-95's damn. Wonder if everything truely bolts together, guess for $1,459 it better. The Random Tech Cats do re-locate the cats from the original factory locations but, is that illegal...you still have two cats just located in a better place? If I could only do it over again, those JBA's would be replaced with AS&M's. Is the kit smog Legal, don't believe the headers are?

Comment

Just as a note...93 headers will not work for your car UNLESS you delete the AIR and EGR systems. The placement of the AIR fittings is different for 93 and there is not EGR tube from the header. 94-95 headers would work if everything post-header is to be replaced, however the first visual smog inspection the car sees will be the first it fails. Unless you're going forced induction or mondo-power, shorties will be nearly the same as long-tubes and mid-lengths with the actual difference being negligible. Just my thoughts.
                      Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Doug 97SS
                        Did either of you even bother to click the Thunderracing link?? I am not trying to be mean here but they HAVE MID LENGTH HEADERS FOR DUAL CAT CARS WITH A DUAL CAT Y-PIPE IN ONE PACKAGE.....Please Please please read pass th first sentence....

http://www.thunderracing.com/catalog...&vid=4&pcid=52

LT1 Headers & Dual-Cat Y-pipe Package

Designed for racing applications on vehicles equipped with headers, the Random DualCat systems offers a significant horsepower advantage compared to a single converter installation, especially for vehicles with modified engines. In addition to allowing the installation of dual catalytic converters on 1993-1995 Camaros and Firebirds, the system makes it possible to install the more efficient 1993-1995 model headers on 1996-1997 model vehicles. Random's DualCat Y-pipe features mandrel-bent 2-1/2" tubing and Random Technology 8100 Series SHF "Bullet" converters.

Thunder Racing offers several package deals that include the Dual Cat Y-pipe and headers for both 1993-1995 and 1996-1997 F-bodies. All of our packages include everything that you need to complete the installation, including our own instructions and helpful hints, written from personal installation experience. Our header/dual cat y-pipe packages include:

* Arizona Speed & Marine 1-3/4" Ceramic Coated Headers
                        * Random Technology Dual-Cat Y-pipe w/ 2 Bullet Catalytic Converters
                        * Stage 8 Locking Header Bolts
                        * Felpro Gaskets
                        * Felpro Header Collector Gaskets
                        * Stage 8 Locking Bolts for Header Collectors
                        * GM Check Valve Adapters (as needed on '96-97 applications)
                        * New Dipstick Tube, Pre-bent and cut for easier installation
                        * Taylor Fire Sleeves
                        * Stainless Steel Tie Wraps
                        * O2 Harness extension (as needed on '96-97 applications)
                        * Longer #8 Plug Wire (Specify stock or Taylor wires)
                        ummm, look at the price of what I'm looking at, now look at the price of what you're posting. I could get my heads fully ported for that much. Not worth it's weight in gold IMO. I won't spend over $500 on a set of headers.

Comment

Originally posted by raroZ28
                          ummm, look at the price of what I'm looking at, now look at the price of what you're posting. I could get my heads fully ported for that much. Not worth it's weight in gold IMO. I won't spend over $500 on a set of headers.
                          If that's your take on it, then get the shorties. They'll bolt in and you won't have to worry about anything. If you want to dig into the exhaust that much, then go with the mid-lengths...but, even with the cost of the headers, you're still looking at over $500 which breaks your limit on what you will spend on headers.
                          Steve

Comment

Steve is right. You are going to be in for over $500 either way.

Stay away from the Pacesetter Shorty. They make great Long Tubes just lousy Shorty.

I was looking at SLP shorties for mine before I bought the Pacesetter Long tubes. (Pace Setter long tubes cost? $399. COATED and another $125 for the Y-pipe no cats I have to get those, PM me if you want to know where I got them as I won't publish the name of a non supporting vender)

Eric, that combo has been around for years I want to say at least since 99-00. But like RaroZ28 they are a little pricey up front. But a damn good system.

Comment

Really Doug, must not have purchased the $1459 system because of emission concerns. I had to of spent more than that on what I decided to have installed below.

Currently running Random Tech Cats Part # 943003 and JBA Headers Part # 1804-1JS because that entire set-up is Smog Legal but the downside is that they are 1 5/8" shorties.

Comment

Working...
                              X