Will it take off?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by LimTeng99TransAm
    Neal spoke to pilots over the weekend and said it wouldn't fly.
    Being a pilot does not qualify anyone to be more of an authority on this.

This is a physics question.
    Tracy
    2002 C5 M6 Convertible
    1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
    Current Mods:
    SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

• I'm not sure the people Neal talked to still had enough of their brain left to talk about it. He said one flew goony birds in WWII. That makes them about 85-90. No I'm kidding. The plane still flies.
      2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

• This question is kinda dumb in tha fact that there is no posible way for the "conveyor" to keep up with the plane. The force of the turbine is acting on the surrounding air, not the ground. This would work with a car as the force of the motor is transmitted to the ground via tha wheels and drive train. A plane has no transmision nor a driveshaft to the wheels. There for the wheels are doing nothing to propel the plane. Generaly speaking the air is standing still, and the turbines are causing preasure to be applied aft, there for causing the plane to be pushed forward. The "conveyor" has no way of affecting the surrounding air. It only affects the wheels, which are free wheeling. there would be some friction cuased by the rolling of the wheels but no matter how fast eh wheels spin they will always have roughly the same friction load, which the plane has to overcome anyways when taking off from a conventional runway. What will in reality happen is the plane will roll off of the "conveyor" and crash if its off the ground and short, or tha plane will take off if the "conveyor" is the same length as a normal runway. Bottom line is that "conveyor" can not hold the plane still, as the force of the "conveyor" is applied to the wheels and not the air around it. The plane has to move forward or have air moving across the wings to provide lift( high pressure on top low pressure under the wing). Lift only happens with the movment of air. This question is so flawed its actually funny.

Eric W.

89 Firebird Formula WS6
        Accel/Lingenfelter Super Ram
        6.2L/382.97 ci
        Custom PROM Dyno tuned
        WCT-5 speed
        BW 9-bolt Posi 3.45
        Boss MS 18" Rims
        Headman Headers 1 5/8 Ceramic Coated
        Custom Dual exhaust
        1LE upgrade
        Custom Temperature / Navigation Rear View Mirror
        In a constant state of upgrade!

Comment

• Originally posted by LimTeng99TransAm
          Neal spoke to pilots over the weekend and said it wouldn't fly.
          Is this true? I don't normally listen to Neal, but if this is true....Amen!

Comment

• Originally posted by TraceZ
            Being a pilot does not qualify anyone to be more of an authority on this.

This is a physics question.
            Maybe not, but if you were to ask the captain of his ship if his vessel could do the same thing but in water, he would have a concrete answer.

Physics yes. Trig, Goemetry, blah, blah, blah; and probably most important of all, an intimate knowlede of aircraft.

However, looks like we already have an answer straight from the pilot's mouth. Plane doesn't fly.

Comment

• Originally posted by fastTA
              Maybe not, but if you were to ask the captain of his ship if his vessel could do the same thing but in water, he would have a concrete answer.
              Not the same situation. The friction and drag between a ship in the water and an airplane on a moving runway is totally different. That is not a valid comparison at all.
              Originally posted by fastTA
              Physics yes. Trig, Goemetry, blah, blah, blah; and probably most important of all, an intimate knowlede of aircraft.
              My father-in-law was a pilot in WWII flying F6 Hellcats. He flew the Eastern DC3 hanging in the Smithsonian right now. He flew LT11s for I don't know how many years. He retired from Eastern just before they went belly up. I know a lot more about the physics of flight than he does. Just because someone is a pilot doesn't mean the understand why planes fly.
              Originally posted by fastTA
              However, looks like we already have an answer straight from the pilot's mouth. Plane doesn't fly.
              See above.

The question says the plane MOVES therefore the plane MOVES and if it MOVES the speed of the plane is taken from a non MOVING object therefore the speed is not measured to the treadmill and we know the treadmill can not generate enough friction to hold the plane back therefore it flies. Period. The End.
              2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

Comment

• Now that you guys are starting to subconsciencely doubt yourselfs, you are getting desparate.

I love it.

Comment

Now that you guys are starting to subconsciencely doubt yourselfs, you are getting desparate.

I love it.
                  What?

Comment

The ships propellor pushes against the moving water, so its ability to move is dependent on the movement of the water.

An airplanes propellor pushes agains the air, not the runway. It's ability to move is dependent on the air, not the runway.

The plane, she flies like the butterfly!!

flies
                    flies
                    flies
                    flies
                    flies

infinity
                    period!
                    Tracy
                    2002 C5 M6 Convertible
                    1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
                    Current Mods:
                    SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

The ships propellor pushes against the moving water, so its ability to move is dependent on the movement of the water.

An airplanes propellor pushes agains the air, not the runway. It's ability to move is dependent on the air, not the runway.

The plane, she flies like the butterfly!!

flies
                      flies
                      flies
                      flies
                      flies

infinity
                      period!
                      So there!

Originally posted by TraceZ
                      Kumbaya my Lord, kumbaya
                      Kumbaya my Lord, kumbaya
                      Kumbaya my Lord, kumbaya
                      Oh Lord, kumbaya

Come on guys!! Hold hands and sing with me!

'87 Camaro - 2.8L MPFI, 700R4 swapped to T5, B&M Ripper Shifter, Dynomax Super Turbo muffler, CATCO high flow cat, K&N air filters, 180 degree thermostat w/200-180 fan switch, 3.42 rear end, Global West steering brace, polyurethane bushings/trans mount, Spohn adjustable torque arm.
                      '88 Formula (stolen), '96 Camaro RS, (sold), '91 Firebird (sold),
                      Bruce, μολων λαβέ

Comment

• And I thought this thread was almost dead a few days ago
                        94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

Comment

• Originally posted by Craig 94 TA GT
                          And I thought this thread was almost dead a few days ago
                          I'm just using it as an excuse to be a post whore. I'm in 4th place... a few hundred more and I can make 3rd!

go, go, go!!
                          Tracy
                          2002 C5 M6 Convertible
                          1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
                          Current Mods:

Comment

I'm just using it as an excuse to be a post whore. I'm in 4th place... a few hundred more and I can make 3rd!

go, go, go!!
                            LOL You even passed me. But from all of the posting I've done I'm back ahead of Fred. I'm glad they don't categorize them. Fred would be way ahead of me for F-body related and quality.

Comment

• Whoooooooooossssshhhhhhhhhhhh!

That's the sound of the "captain of the ship" anaology going right over your head. It's OK...I know it's Monday.

I shouldn't have to explain this, BUT....the forementioned captain of the ship analogy was merely, and I mean merely, to show that a pilot has just as intimate a knowledge as the captain of his vessel.

Oh look what was that!....oh nevermind I thought I saw a plane in the air.

Kumbaya my Lord, kumbaya
                              Kumbaya my Lord, kumbaya
                              Kumbaya my Lord, kumbaya
                              Oh Lord, kumbaya

Comment

Whoooooooooossssshhhhhhhhhhhh!

That's the sound of the "captain of the ship" anaology going right over your head. It's OK...I know it's Monday.

I shouldn't have to explain this, BUT....the forementioned captain of the ship analogy was merely, and I mean merely, to show that a pilot has just as intimate a knowledge as the captain of his vessel.

Oh look what was that!....oh nevermind I thought I saw a plane in the air.

Kumbaya my Lord, kumbaya
                                Kumbaya my Lord, kumbaya
                                Kumbaya my Lord, kumbaya
                                Oh Lord, kumbaya
                                I'll take a moment to sum up the next 50 posts in this thread and save everyone the time / effort.

Tracy: It flies
                                Kevin: does not
                                Tracy: does so

notice I let myself get the last word.
                                Tracy
                                2002 C5 M6 Convertible
                                1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
                                Current Mods:

Comment

Working...
                                X